BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny Fox suspension

• Nikola
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Sep 2019 12:36 #213999 by Nikola
Jimny Fox suspension was created by Nikola
Hi to everybody, I am new here on forum. I wish to ask which Fox shock absorbers i have to buy for my racing Jimny for +3" springs. I am looking for 2.0 smooth body fox shocks with reservoirs. I suppose fwd shocks must be about 7" travelling and rear 9" travelling. Please correct me if i am wrong. If you have any experience about it please share with me... every suggestion is very welcome. Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2019 12:58 #214000 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Jimny Fox suspension
Hi and welcome Only member i think maybe able to advise is www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/profile/1566-tomdk
He sold some the other week
Also Facebook Dave Marsh Racing
Hope this helps

Jack

• Nikola
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Sep 2019 15:41 #214010 by Nikola
Replied by Nikola on topic Jimny Fox suspension
Thank you, I hope he will join to our conversation and will give some answers...

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
29 Sep 2019 15:59 #214011 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Jimny Fox suspension
He sold them to me :-)

Awaiting mr postman for them at the moment.

They are the 2.0 body, remote reservoir and have 8" travel to work with +3" springs. I dont know much more about them than that until they arrive. These are fronts only. I need to look more into the rear options, but expect them to be similar spec except with an eye at both ends. Also looking at hydraulic bump stops & limit straps for obvious reasons.

Tom sent me some useful links about setting them up (messing about with shims, oil and nitrogen). I will be reporting back once ive had a fiddle about ;-)...

www.crawlpedia.com/shock_tuning.htm

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• Nikola
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Sep 2019 16:14 #214013 by Nikola
So fwd shocks are 8" and probably rear must be 9". Do you have Fox code or number of that shocks?

More
29 Sep 2019 16:15 #214014 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Jimny Fox suspension
If they're going on Ulysses and you're planning getting rid of the 2" lift give me a shout ;)

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
29 Sep 2019 16:29 #214016 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Jimny Fox suspension
Only info I have is above plus this...

www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/11-for-...vel-remote-reservoir

For now the Fox will be replacing the front dampers only, but in time yes the trailmaster springs and rear set will be to go. First dibs to you matey ;-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
The following user(s) said Thank You: jackonlyjack

More
30 Sep 2019 00:42 - 30 Sep 2019 00:54 #214035 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Jimny Fox suspension
Nikola:
Are you planning to make any other modifications to your suspension design beyond springs and shocks? In an entirely stock Jimny, my understanding is that you can only get about 5 5/8 inch travel in the front and 4 1/4 inch in the rear. Poly bushes should help but I don't know how much. 4 link suspension would give even more but is certainly more complex.

The Fox shocks that I have ordered are:
Front - 980-02-049 (6.5 inch travel)
Rear - 980-06-030 (6.5 inch travel)

I can't give any feedback yet as the front have just gone through customs and the rear haven't arrived.

This is a listing of both shocks I purchased:

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Sep 2019 00:54 by zukebob.

• Nikola
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Sep 2019 05:22 #214038 by Nikola
I have +3" lift , bump stops, poly bush kit with offset kit etc... but i am not satisfied with my shocks and i wish to replace them with fox or king shocks... i prefer fox... As per my calculation i think fwd shock have to be between 7 & 8 inches and rear between 8 & 9 inches if i am not wrong. Thats why i am asking here on forum did anybody have similar setup on jimny and to give me some advice. I appreciate your help

More
30 Sep 2019 05:55 #214039 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Jimny Fox suspension
Fox are definitely excellent quality shocks. I don't blame you for wanting them. Let me first start by explaining some of my comments before asking a couple of more questions.

The travel dimensions I quoted on a stock Jimny were compiled by a person on another forum. He removed shocks and springs so that he could bring the axle up to the bump stop and measure the minimum dimension of the shock mounting. That was 312mm. He then removed the sway bar to allow the axle/radius arm to drop to the maximum and measured the shock mounting again.That was 455mm. He did the same for the rear which provided 350mm and 455mm. On a completely stock suspension, the rubber bushes will bind when the radius arm drops too much. Most poly bushes won't. That is why I mentioned that having poly bushes will allow more drop of the radius arm, allowing more travel.

The question I would ask is how you calculated the travel length necessary. If the numbers are what you need, Fox makes some similar to what I ordered in 8, 10 and 12 inch travel. I have the information buried somewhere from when I was looking at which shock was best for my application. I can easily dig it out if you are looking for specific part numbers

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
30 Sep 2019 06:30 #214040 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Jimny Fox suspension

Nikola wrote: Hi to everybody, I am new here on forum. I wish to ask which Fox shock absorbers i have to buy for my racing Jimny for +3" springs. I am looking for 2.0 smooth body fox shocks with reservoirs. I suppose fwd shocks must be about 7" travelling and rear 9" travelling. Please correct me if i am wrong. If you have any experience about it please share with me... every suggestion is very welcome. Thanks in advance

In order to understand what you are attempting to achieve can I ask what kind of racing do you do with the Jimny?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Nikola
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Sep 2019 06:42 #214041 by Nikola
I have +3" lift , bump stops, poly bush kit with offset kit etc... but i am not satisfied with my shocks and i wish to replace them with fox or king shocks... i prefer fox... As per my calculation i think fwd shock have to be between 7 & 8 inches and rear between 8 & 9 inches if i am not wrong. Thats why i am asking here on forum did anybody have similar setup on jimny and to give me some advice. I appreciate your help

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds