BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Re:Re:Advice about mud tyres

• ajdm48
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Sep 2019 09:26 #213920 by ajdm48
Advice about mud tyres was created by ajdm48
I have bought my first Jimny- 2007 VVT auto, standard- to go up and down a steep lane to our woodland.
It's been great this first summer, and sailed up and down the track- in 2wd.
Then it rained. So I turned on the 4wd. And then it slipped and slipped, and then it slid.
It slid gracefully into the fence on the camber: mud over chalk/flint.

We got it down, went home and I looked at the tyres- Dueler H/T 205/70 R15 96Ts. I think I need mud tyres, but I don't want to install any lift.

Any advice about the best ones? I use it on the road to get to and from the woodland- about 45min each way- so I can put up with noise.

Cheers

Alastair
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Sep 2019 09:52 #213922 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Advice about mud tyres
have a read up on the wiki section might help.... i can't really comment on muds because i have a lift on mine, you will be surprise at how good AT tyres are i had General Grabbers on mine and couldn't fault them, that was without a lift.

www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php?tit...age_-_best_practices

• ajdm48
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Sep 2019 10:05 #213923 by ajdm48
Replied by ajdm48 on topic Advice about mud tyres
Thanks, Daniel. I looked at the wiki and AT sound good. I may go for General Grabbers.

Alastair

More
27 Sep 2019 10:13 #213924 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Advice about mud tyres
I would also check that 4wd is working.

I know that wet grass, slippery flint and ice can defeat 4wd (and had the scratches on a Discovery, Range Rover and Jimny to prove it). However it is worth a check as slightly fatter/ beefier tyres can actually make the issue worse. Your standard thin tyres should better cut the surface

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
27 Sep 2019 10:34 #213927 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Advice about mud tyres
Personally I would suggest that you look at a 195.80r15 for serious mud, as like Martin says you need a narrower tyre to bite through the surface slime and find traction.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
27 Sep 2019 18:18 #213936 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Re:Advice about mud tyres
Anything All terrain AT or Mud Terrain MT is going to be better than the Dueler which is a Highway or road biased tyre. I would also suggest checking your 4x4 system is engaging ok, head out of the window and spinning front tyres should be enough to confirm.

I have a Land Rover with very aggressive MT tyres fitted even these can struggle in some circumstances. I say this with experience as driving in a rain soaked (flat ish) wooded area was the most challenging off road day I have ever experienced. More challenging than the numerous pay and play sites I have visited. The mud in the woodland offered zero traction, and as your vehicle I just slipped sideways with the lay of the land.
Not going in any direction I wanted, I eventually came to rest on a tree. It was only when I gave up trying to fight the situation any just pointed the front wheels in the direction I was slipping did I gain a small amount of control, enough to drive out and have a cup of calming tea..
Your picture reminded me of my "sliding slowly into a tree" day out. Maybe all woodlands are the same slippy stuff?
Have fun
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
28 Sep 2019 09:19 #213963 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Advice about mud tyres
The first thing I would do, is check and reduce the air pressure in the tires.

• ajdm48
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Oct 2019 09:17 #214891 by ajdm48
Many thanks for all your suggestions. SciMike- your experience was exactly like mine! I checked the 4WD and it's fine. The main dilemma seems to be whether to make the tyres fatter to float over the mud (e.g. by deflating) or use thinner tyres to cut through the mud. After reading the Wiki as Daniel30 suggests, I realised I should have tried, as RainerK says, the first option- simply deflating. Yesterday, full of trepidation, we set off up the slope after some very heavy rain with pressures down to 1.1 bar or so and with as light a foot on the accelerator as I could manage. Lo and behold, she crawled up with only an occasional squiggle. In fact, coming down afterwards was much hairier- maybe my technique (Low 4WD lowest gear, braking slightly) needs improvement. Thanks to all who replied.

More
18 Oct 2019 09:34 #214892 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Advice about mud tyres
I go down with the pressure to 0.9bar sometimes.

But before I go back on the road, I inflate the tires again.

• ajdm48
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Nov 2019 10:21 #215264 by ajdm48
Thanks, RainerK. It's doing great on slippery mud and leaves at 1 bar. I am careful to re-inflate, though!!

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds