BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

New Land Rover Defender - a bit Jimny-ish?

• Slaguru
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Sep 2019 22:46 #213498 by Slaguru
Replied by Slaguru on topic New Land Rover Defender - a bit Jimny-ish?
Well, they have one customer, me. I have just speced and ordered a 110. No delivery date yet. I like the look of it, and as Im trading my Disco 4 for it I suppose it will not be a big change.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
14 Sep 2019 05:49 #213499 by Lambert
For the money I could have 2 new Jimny. One for tooling round the high street all clean and shiny and the other for bashing around the countryside being all muddy and legitimate. And even with 2 I would spend significantly less time in the dealership than with one jlr.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
14 Sep 2019 06:47 #213502 by facade
I'd have one if I had a spare half million knocking around. I suspect that all the headline items in the video like the HUD don't come with the "poverty spec." £40k model though, and you need to lay out nearer to the £80k :S

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
14 Sep 2019 10:41 #213509 by Gadget

Slaguru wrote: Well, they have one customer, me. I have just speced and ordered a 110. No delivery date yet. I like the look of it, and as Im trading my Disco 4 for it I suppose it will not be a big change.

Looks a great replacement for the Disco. I can see the new Def seriously cannibalising sales of the Disco5, which has a, ummmm, 'challenging' appearance :P

I think much of the dislike for the new Defender is based on it sitting in a completely different market segment than the old model, rather than any particular dislike for the car itself.

• Slaguru
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Sep 2019 11:59 #213512 by Slaguru
Replied by Slaguru on topic New Land Rover Defender - a bit Jimny-ish?
Yep. I would never have gone for the disco 5. But the defender looks much better. The standard 110 comes with quite good spec but I’m going for the 1st pack that gets you extra protection and breather. Also I have ordered a winch mount and Warn winch to be factory fitted as well (which is basically the spec of my disco 4). Now it’s a waiting period but Land Rover should have some demonstrators soon to go play with.

More
16 Sep 2019 10:52 #213567 by 300bhpton

Reason2doubt wrote:
The little one struck me as a much more expensive version of the new Gen4 Jimny

Personally I don't think it could be much further from the Jimny. Which is a bit of a shame really.

This new Defender does look good, but is clearly just a Discovery 4 replacement and aimed at the market that LR entered in 1989 with the original Discovery. It's only a Defender in name.

• wigit
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Sep 2019 11:06 #213568 by wigit
Replied by wigit on topic New Land Rover Defender - a bit Jimny-ish?
Well I have seen the 90 in the flesh at Goodwood Revial and really wanted to love it.

The 90 looks odd with the rear panel (which you have to have if you go roofrack), it was cordoned off on the Saturday and Sunday, I was wondering if that was because on the preproduction one the arches were coming off. The one they had was green with the protection film. I would love to see a 90 with the full rear window. But too much gloss black trim.

Boot on the 90 is not that much more usable than the Jimny, interior is very nice and 110 probably is the better resolved and has the air suspension as standard.

Outside was a bit over stilled and felt a bit cheap, rear looks a bit like ne of the old Vitara.

Even JLR see it as steeling sales from Disco 5 and seems a more fitting evolution of Disco 4.

JLR have tapped into the options market on these for sure and who can blame them.

A car that decided opinion there from many Land Rover owners but always going to have a difficult act to follow.

Deliveries I believe are due in March. For me JLR just seem to make cars that steel sales from their own range at the moment.

Best detail is the rear lights which are beautiful.

More
19 Sep 2019 13:51 - 19 Sep 2019 13:51 #213704 by Foxtrot
The new Defender has higher CO2 emissions than the Jimny, which makes you wonder if throttling the Jimny production has anything to do with C02 emissions. LR wants theirs to be a high volume global product regardless of the EU restrictions?

Four cylinder petrol P300. 227g/km
Six cylinder petrol mild hybrid P400e 220g/km.
Four Cylinder diesels D200/D240. 199g/ km.
Jimny 1.5 manual 154g/km
Last edit: 19 Sep 2019 13:51 by Foxtrot.

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Sep 2019 14:14 #213705 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic New Land Rover Defender - a bit Jimny-ish?
I remember my Suzuki dealer commenting on the high emissions of the Jimny ( a strange opening gambit) and I thought at the time, compared to what?
I was trading in a big diesel and felt good about a smallish petrol engine.
Chris

More
08 Oct 2019 12:07 #214469 by Bosanek
If this vehicle had a Discovery name attached to it, then it would make sense. This is what a Discovery 4/5 should have been.

But sticking a Defender badge to this vehicle is like sticking a Wrangler badge on a Jeep Compass.
This vehicle has nothing to do with the Defender, except for the towing capacity and load carrying ability (I would like to see that ability of a unibody on undulated terrain though).

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds