BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

New Land Rover Defender - a bit Jimny-ish?

More
10 Sep 2019 13:16 #213350 by Reason2doubt
Spotted reviews today on youtube of the new defender that's due for release. I personally didn't have much of an opinion on these as I've never owned one nor have any interest in owning one, but it grabbed my attention simply because it looked so different to any other land rover. It actually shocked me a bit...

Here's a link to the video:

What are peoples thoughts on this?

The little one struck me as a much more expensive version of the new Gen4 Jimny - even more so when it came to the interior with the sort of 'robust' look, that kind of 'weekend warrior' approach to off-roading/overlanding (at least that's what the accessories give me a feeling of?).

It certainly seems a bit upmarket Jimny-esque to me...a bit more playful and less serious than the older defenders?

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Sep 2019 14:06 #213353 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic New Land Rover Defender - a bit Jimny-ish?
I like the 90 I don't like the square in the rear windows or the idea of a vinyl wrap.

• Slaguru
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Sep 2019 14:19 #213354 by Slaguru
Replied by Slaguru on topic New Land Rover Defender - a bit Jimny-ish?
Its a super hard job making a new Defender, it is so iconic. I quite liked Richard Hammonds review knowing he is a Defender fan.

More
10 Sep 2019 15:36 #213360 by Gadget
If I'm viewing it as a replacement for the old Defender - basic, utilitarian, tough as nails, iconic. Then I hate it. Too soft, too plush, too anonymous, too expensive.

On the other hand, if I take just as another JLR product of high-end lifestyle SUVs that they happen to have glued a Defender badge onto for some rufty tufty kudos by association, then it's very nice and probably the only car that I'd consider buying from their whole range.

• wigit
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Sep 2019 16:58 #213368 by wigit
Replied by wigit on topic New Land Rover Defender - a bit Jimny-ish?
I actually quite like it, base model with 18" alloys and country pack in the blue and a 3 door. The bit on the side is optional on 3 door.

Will steel sales from its own as why would you go for a Disco 5, Velar over the 110.

Higher up the range it gets a bit eye watering.

Someone asked me would I be swapping the Jimny for one and I said no.

More
10 Sep 2019 17:05 #213369 by Foxtrot
It looks like a tweaked Freelander mk1 I can't see the vinyl rap been very practical, it has a very short life of about 5 to 7 years before the UV rays starts to break it down. It's also now made in Slovakia. The roof loading is impressive at 168kg static load of 300kg and a max towing of 3500kg.

This video gives it specs

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 Sep 2019 17:08 #213370 by Lambert
I understand that the expression is "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything. "

Unfortunately it's such a quarter baked effort at a design that it just winds me right up. All the money that jlr have at their disposal to design a halo vehicle that communicates their core values and this is the best they can do? I would struggle to leave the house if I had been involved for fear of being recognized in the street!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
10 Sep 2019 17:32 #213375 by Riccy
Reminds me of a mini countryman (the newer ugly ones)

£40k+ is Jeep wrangler territory :whistle:

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• Jimmysgen4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Sep 2019 11:46 #213430 by Jimmysgen4
Replied by Jimmysgen4 on topic New Land Rover Defender - a bit Jimny-ish?
Whats the bets that the first one you see will be on the back of a recovery truck?

More
13 Sep 2019 19:22 #213495 by Max Headroom

Jimmysgen4 wrote: Whats the bets that the first one you see will be on the back of a recovery truck?

Heheh I seriously LMAO at that :laugh: :laugh:

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Sep 2019 20:07 #213496 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic New Land Rover Defender - a bit Jimny-ish?
This 4x4 is my idea of motoring hell. It would just be a matter of time, waiting for the first thing to fail. All these silly electrical gubbins is a nightmare waiting to happen. From what ive seen everything is ruddy electrical, and unessesary electrics too. I'll happily stick with my Jimny, an honest proper 4wd that is simple and will last!

This thing is embarrising, and i would feel so soo silly driving it.

I mean...... who's gonna buy the 90? I can see the chelsea wives buying the 110, but whos goin for the 90?? Is this a major fail for landrover??

More
13 Sep 2019 21:46 - 13 Sep 2019 21:48 #213497 by Scimike
I think it's fair to say that the majority of people on this site are not the customer that JLR are targeting with this vehicle. I think it looks ok, but like the majority of modern vehicles it has too many electronic gizmos on it for me.
JLR has been pushing luxury brand for some time now, the Defender is the last vehicle to get the plush treatment, so it now fits their portfolio well in my opinion.
But that's progress and what I assume the majority of their current customers want.
Compared to my 1960 Series 2 SWB the old Defender was posh, I only have one fuse and cart springs, so I had given up on all this modern stuff a long time ago :laugh:

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 13 Sep 2019 21:48 by Scimike.

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds