BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Moving on from a Jimny

• ShaunG
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Aug 2019 06:06 #212343 by ShaunG
Moving on from a Jimny was created by ShaunG
I’ve been a Jimny owner for a few years and I love it. But the wife is insisting on something with a bit more space and comfort. I don’t do off reading but I use it in rural Ireland so the Jimny’s Go-anywhere capability is important for us.

Uestion is, what would be best choice of replacement that keeps (some of) that capability? I want to stay fairly small. So, I was thinking two choices - a Grand Vitara from about 05 (am I right in sticking to that model rather than the newer one?), or possibly a Mitsubishi Shogun Pinin (also 2005ish) My instinct is for the GV, but there are quite a few low mileage Pinins around, so maybe a capable alternative?

Any advice or thoughts would be much appreciated. The Jimny will stay in the family though as our daughter wants it as her first car!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2019 07:24 #212347 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Moving on from a Jimny
I don't know about the Mitsubishi but John on here has had one if he's still about.

The Vitaras of that age rust, so trying to get a good one us hard.

I'm not sure what else to suggest though.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
20 Aug 2019 07:37 #212349 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Moving on from a Jimny
I've seen a few Toyota Rav 4's on AT tyres while driving about, in fields during harvest. I would think they would be the farmers other half's bringing food out.

I know they are a cracking road car and drive more like a saloon car than a 4x4. Off road I don't know, but if the farming community are using them I think you would be wise to have a look.

sniper

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Aug 2019 08:02 #212358 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Moving on from a Jimny
Second for the rav4 if you can live with the fuel economy

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
20 Aug 2019 08:50 #212371 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Moving on from a Jimny
+3 for RAV4, If you can get a good MK1 (1994-2000) they are excellent- look like a proper car, have a centre difflock in the manual, the auto has a hydraulic automatic one, the Mk2 (2001-2005) is ok - a bit rounder, has a viscous lock on the centre diff, but they started to scrimp on the mechanics, any later and you might as well buy any of the SUV clones.

The other one to look at is a Subaru forester, again the MK1 is brilliant (1997-2002), the MK2 is good (2002-2007). The manuals need a clutch at about 80,000 miles (not cheap) but the autos are great if you can get one.

Honda CRV is fairly good for a softroader, the rear axle controls the 4wd, and needs frequent changes of special fluid. Yet again, the MK1 is better than the MK2 and the MK3 is just an SUV clone.

Bit of a pattern, I know, but usually, the MK1 of anything is the best, before the rivet counters get to shave a few pounds off with thinner metal, and flaky electronics to replace chunky clunky reliable mechanics.;)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• ShaunG
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Aug 2019 12:45 #212384 by ShaunG
Replied by ShaunG on topic Moving on from a Jimny
Thanks for excellent advice. I had discounted RAV4 as one of the “only for looks” 4x4s but might investigate early model.

Is rust on the Grand Vitara inevitable? My Jimny is 02 and rust is manageable, if I find a well kept GV would it still be a good option?

More
20 Aug 2019 17:15 #212400 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Moving on from a Jimny
The GV rusts quite badly, you don't see many early ones about. The latest incarnation is a crippled 4x4 with only the front driving. quite a lot of these "softroaders" are bought as 2wd only, I used to think that was pointless, but as the roads get worse in terms of speedbumps and potholes, I can see why you might want a 2wd with off-road suspension.

The MK1 & MK2 Rav4 are proper AWD with centre differentials. The MK3 went to effectively 2wd with a ratchet clutch to the back axle, so if a front spins out it starts to drag the back axle round- this is how CRVs, Subarus, Nissans and small Audis work. (They are a shade more sophisticated than a simple ratchet, but essentially, if the front tries to go faster than the back, the back is locked to the front. Causes problems when the front tyres inevitably wear smaller than the back too)
I know we are used to knocking the jimny in & out of 4wd like a human operated version of the above, but I do miss the centre diff of the RAV4, Rangerover & Defender.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
20 Aug 2019 17:44 #212405 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Moving on from a Jimny
Wifey has a 2005 GV 1.6....comfier and more spacious than the Jimny.....the engine is an outdated pos though...

It's a very clean car...not showing any signs of rusting......she likes it a lot.....I've tried several times to tempt her into a newer 4x4 Vitara but she won't have it.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Aug 2019 17:52 #212407 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Moving on from a Jimny
We have a 5 door gv of 2012 vintage it's the 2.4. One of the later proper lo range ones. It's a lovely place to spend time once you have made all the warning buzzers shut up.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds