BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Chrome removal

• Shaz8246
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Aug 2019 19:59 #212327 by Shaz8246
Chrome removal was created by Shaz8246
Hello everyone, I have a 2002 Jimmy and it has quite alot of chrome accents some of which have seen better days and would prefer to replace it with black pieces instead, anyone have any tips on how to remove these pieces?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Aug 2019 02:32 #212334 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Chrome removal
It will all probably be held on with a foam backed adhesive or a double sided tape. Two ways I have used with some success. Dental floss as a kind of cheese wire behind the item to be removed and saw the adhesive away. Or gentle application of a hair dryer or heat gun on low and peel off with a plastic scraper. They will both leave a residue and a toffee wheel in a drill is effective for removing that or a tar remover like autoglym and plentiful buffing. Also consider that you are likely to find paint discolouration after such a long period.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Shaz8246
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Aug 2019 13:26 #212386 by Shaz8246
Replied by Shaz8246 on topic Chrome removal
Its mostly the bits around the door handles and the flares on the front as they poke out quite a bit, I plan to get black covers for the lights and if there is discoloration try and replace them with a black piece.
Are the chrome pieces would have been added at some point right or would they have been a option to come with the car from new? As I dont know how long these been on there and can understand about the posibility of discoloration but the paintwork is in really nice condition

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Aug 2019 16:58 #212398 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Chrome removal
The chrome could have been an accessory from the dealership and could potentially have been on from new ot it could be after market and only a couple of years old, there's no immediate way to tell.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Shaz8246
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Aug 2019 19:42 #212420 by Shaz8246
I'm going to give it a go anyways as the front grill doesn't seem to be held on the strongest, but from what I can tell I cant see many jimnys with this much chrome or at least the chrome around the door handles

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Aug 2019 21:39 #212426 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Chrome removal
By the time you have replaced all the chrome bits with black bits it might be easier to get them vinyl wrapped maybe?

• Shaz8246
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Aug 2019 05:04 #212435 by Shaz8246
I was thinking of stripping the chrome coating off and painting them black as they're only plastic but seen some more 'agressive' looking ones that are metal (other then the reverse light cluster) and they should offer better protection.
But still want the chrome off of everything else at least as only replacing the light covers with black parts

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds