BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:My Jimny Gen 3 vs 110 defender td5, opinions please

• NineCherries
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Aug 2019 22:36 #211863 by NineCherries
Ok serious answers please.

Before I start, I love my 2008 Jimny.........

But I have a chance of a 2000 landrover 110, mechanically unmolested and in good nick, looked after, serviced etc. It’s a local chap and I’ve seen the car about for a few years.

Now I know this is a Jimny forum, and understandably biased, and I really like my car, (have I mentioned that already?) am I being stupid even considering the landrover?
Has anyone lived with a defender and now had a Jimny or vice versa?

Why is my Jimny the better or worse choice.

I hadn’t even considered a different car up until this afternoon.

Help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• aage
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Aug 2019 00:46 #211864 by aage
I had a landrover defender 110 pickup for 5 years. what I ended up giving up on was that it didn´t hold water or air. whole winter it was wet with foggy windows. Most metal parts of it had only a thin layer of paint with no primer and it rusted fast. Other then that , it was a fun car to drive , especially on the highland , crossing rivers etc. I will never buy another Defender. Its just me.

Before that I had a landcruisers and Nissan Patrol´s ( 3 ) and was used to Japanese quality.

I´ m not yet a Jimny owner , but waiting for one to arrive in beginning of september. What I like about the Jimny is that its almost like a shrunken Defender but Japanese built. I know only time will tell , but never another Defender for me.

• Podge
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Aug 2019 01:54 #211866 by Podge
Hello.

I've driven both, at some point we've had Jimnys, Defenders and Discoverys in our house, so I've a bit of experience with both.

The TD5 is a lovely engine. It's full of torque but suffers badly with turbo lag, it can catch you out a little when pulling off roundabouts etc. It's generally accepted to be less reliable than the earlier 300tdi/200tdi lumps but to be honest, we sold ours with 210,000 miles on the clock and it was only routine maintenance.

Fail points on early TD5s are rare but include the factory seating/locating the cylinder heads using plastic dowels which can shift over time causing head gasket issues and fueling issues.

Fuel pressure regs can cause trouble too.

The injector harness runs down the back under the cam cover can soak leaky oil back up it's length to the ECU causing electrical issues.

Compared to the Suzuki M13, there's a lot more failure points.

The inside it's its own thing; it's agricultural. Very little in the way of creature comforts. We used to have to scrape ice of the inside of the windscreen on bad days. The heater is pathetic. The seats are crap.

Check for corrosion like you would on a Jimny, thus do like to rust (bulkheads, chassis, outriggers etc)

Gearbox is solid. It's the R380 and it's fine. Make sure the transfer case will shift as the selectors can seize in 4H through lack of use.

However they're also downright cool. Defenders will always be cool and much like a Jimny, they don't try and be anything that they're not. Always a smile driving one. So do your reading, leave a bit of money aside for the occasional repair if you do choose the LR. If you choose to keep the Suzuki, it'll always start come the morning however. Both will make you smile when driving though.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 Aug 2019 04:13 #211871 by Lambert
I have had a defender 90 300tdi. Aesthetically pleasing, but a reliability nightmare, 4 cam belt changes in 3 years and hours spent on the receiving end of the welder. Compared to Dreadnaught there is no comparison especially in terms of driving comfort and pleasure and ergonomics.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: NineCherries

More
06 Aug 2019 07:34 #211873 by Gadget
If it's in good condition and you can get it cheap, it might be a decent investment, as Defender prices are stupidly high at the moment.

I love Landys, but unless you need the extra load capacity, I wouldn't have one as a daily driver.

• Slaguru
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Aug 2019 09:41 #211875 by Slaguru
I would echo what the others have said. My experience (I have a 2005 Defender, Discovery and 2019 Jimny for reference, and have had 3 other LRs in the past including 2 110's, and a 2002 Jimny o2)

If you have the money, a 2000 LR defender can be a serious piece of kit. You can make it look great and work well.

BUT

If you are averse to spending lots of money (most of the time) the Jimny is a far better bet. In all conditions, it's more comfortable, reliable, easy to maintain and cheaper.

Defenders can look great, however, and that's a thing. I know that sometimes people don't want to admit a bit of vanity, but its there.

• NineCherries
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Aug 2019 17:38 #211885 by NineCherries
Thank you all so much for giving me sensible answers. I really appreciate it, thank you

I’m still torn as I love my Jimny. This offer of the 110 has snuck up on me so I need to give the whole thing serious consideration.

Thank you again for giving me proper sensible answers. You are an awesome lot.

I wonder if I can have both??? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Aug 2019 18:06 #211886 by Daniel30
Have both treat yourself, why not :evil: :whistle: :evil: :whistle: :evil: :woohoo:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 Aug 2019 19:31 #211892 by Lambert
One other thing I took away from defender ownership was the overwhelming sense from the social media scene that a defender was the be all and end all of cross country transport solutions and that every other vehicle was inferior and owners of such other vehicles were deluded and should have bought at least a land rover but really a defender. There were also a lot of aggressive vulgar idiots, which coming from a not very domesticated agri yob like me, is saying something. Not like the Jimny scene which is friendly, polite, considerate and well informed.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
06 Aug 2019 21:32 #211896 by kirkynut
I know a bit about Defenders from my old 4x4 club and helping the club welder / fabricator on Saturdays when I was not working and a bit about the TD5 engine from considering a Disco 2 for a long time.

My thoughts on Defenders in general are that in standard form they are likely the most capable 4x4 out if the box, however the driver's elbow is always up against the door or window, the handbrake is in a ridiculous position and there's not much of a point to a radio. I decided that I could not live with one as a daily or for long journeys so it's no good for me.

When they got the Puma engine they got more refined inside, so it would only be the elbow problem that remained.

The TD5 is well known to do 200k miles but they seem to need some loving to get there. Injector loom wiring in the rocker box suffers from oil getting up to the ECU due to capillary action with oil tracking up the wires when the silicone seal in the plug breaks down. Not a biggie as you can replace it but a pain.

Fuel pressure regulators seem to be going regularly and genuine ones don't seem to be lasting long, which makes me question the quality of the current supplier to Land Rover and this seems to be a problem.

Water pumps seem to leak a fair bit too.

Then there's the rust. It's chassis rust on Land Rovers more than body rust but of course there's the bulkhead on Defenders that rots too.

I've helped change a transfer box on a Defender and it is heavy! This sort of work is a definite garage job whereas it's not for a Jimny.

Parts for Land Rovers are plentiful in the UK but unless you buy genuine there's some crap out there. Britpart has the nickname Shitpart for example and they're a major parts supplier.

Jimny parts are easy to find too though when you are on this fine forum. Jimnys are generally a great deal more reliable and strangely more comfortable. They cannot tow like a Land Rover though and need modifying to be as capable off road, which reduces their on road manners. The load capacity is completely different.

Jimny prices are far cheaper than Defenders.

That's how I see the comparison.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
07 Aug 2019 05:40 #211900 by RainerK
When I bought my first 4WD I had to decide between A Defender and a G. After some investigations I decided for a (Puch) G.

To sum up my reasoning I will put some quotes: „If the gearbox does not leak, you can never be sure that there is enough oil in it.“ and „The wiring was never really updated from the original ones.“

I wanted a reliable car where I do not have too many repairs. And for me one further argument was that the Gs are fabricated in Austria and there is big community.

• Ayres
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Aug 2019 09:02 #211904 by Ayres
I’m new to jimny ownership but so far loving it.
Pulled into a farm where I do some work and the owner instantly offered to buy my jimny off me. He currently has a defender 90 and misses his jimny. He felt the jimny was much better around the farm.
I love the look of the defender though.

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds