BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Equipment in your Jimny?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 May 2019 13:51 #208492 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Equipment in your Jimny?
Following a request from GeorgeC. The thing is that you as an individual have to decide what you want from tools and even the stuff you have in your car. It depends on circumstances. If you're a professional mechanic for example your box will probably be a snap on and filled with one of everything off the truck because you need a lot of effective and reliable tools and your ability to earn depends on that. If like me you're a farmer and do basically everything your self then again you need plenty of options and again you need reliable tools but equally budget is a major factor as the tools are really just to help your ability to keep your enterprise afloat. If you're just doing a bit of DIY here and ther that is different again and you will survive adequately on cheaper tools and you will need less of them. It's also important to remember that the comprehensive kits of tools available in a box really are just a start, a gateway if you will, into a piecemeal collection built over years. Be prepared, it's addictive.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 May 2019 14:07 #208493 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Equipment in your Jimny?
Nicely put lambert. I have a saying "buy once...cry once, buy cheap...buy twice".

Its served me well, and conversely, when ive bought low quality tools n stuff, they either break, wear out or dont stand up to the job.

But in saying that, i callrd a socket wrench...a torque wrench yesterday, so feel free to discard my advice :laugh:

• Guy 2
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 May 2019 15:08 #208498 by Guy 2
Replied by Guy 2 on topic Equipment in your Jimny?

Andy2640 wrote:

Lambert wrote: Genuine question, are you not worried stiff about all these things getting stolen?

Dont put my night goggles in the car though, that would be very silly, as opposed to a bit silly.

Andy - which Section of the SAS were you honourably discharged from?

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 May 2019 15:20 - 20 May 2019 15:22 #208500 by Andy2640

Guy 2 wrote:

Andy2640 wrote:

Lambert wrote: Genuine question, are you not worried stiff about all these things getting stolen?

Dont put my night goggles in the car though, that would be very silly, as opposed to a bit silly.

Andy - which Section of the SAS were you honourably discharged from?

I wish.....I was a girl guides honorary major. They were a leaving present for 10 years loyal service with the kitchen staff ;-)
Last edit: 20 May 2019 15:22 by Andy2640.

• Guy 2
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 May 2019 15:42 #208502 by Guy 2
As long as you don't wear your old uniform (along with those 'heels' you mentioned a while back) whilst you are out metal detecting at 2.00am with your night goggles on. However, if you do - I suspect you will scare the living Hell out of anyone you meet!

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 May 2019 15:50 #208503 by Andy2640

Guy 2 wrote: As long as you don't wear your old uniform (along with those 'heels' you mentioned a while back) whilst you are out metal detecting at 2.00am with your night goggles on. However, if you do - I suspect you will scare the living Hell out of anyone you meet!

Hahaa! I dunno Guy, most of the folks around where i live would find that sorta thing appealing ;-)

Its funny, i was chatting to a lady in the chemist a while back, she asked me what i'd been up to lately. When i told her i walk around farmers fields at night in my NVG goggles, she kinda looked at me weird and left in a hurry. What i find normal and fun, others find VERY strange. Go figure! ;-)

• Guy 2
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 May 2019 15:59 #208505 by Guy 2
I've got it now Andy - you live just the other side of the hill from Royston Vasey. Just past the "Local Shop" for "Local People"!

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 May 2019 16:12 #208507 by Andy2640

Guy 2 wrote: I've got it now Andy - you live just the other side of the hill from Royston Vasey. Just past the "Local Shop" for "Local People"!

Yeeees!!! You will have to pop round for tea and biscuits in my sound proof cellar some time. Its very accommodating, and has a lovely view of a brick wall! ;-) ... (Muuhahahahaaaa). ;-)

• Guy 2
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 May 2019 16:52 #208509 by Guy 2
My escapades night fishing with a red-light head torch, a fishing rod and a Thermos - getting tangled up with the occasional sheep on the back-cast, pale into insignificance.

Just remember me to Tubbs when you see her next!

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 May 2019 16:58 #208510 by Andy2640

Guy 2 wrote: My escapades night fishing with a red-light head torch, a fishing rod and a Thermos - getting tangled up with the occasional sheep on the back-cast, pale into insignificance.

Just remember me to Tubbs when you see her next!

Will do guy!

On a more... "normal" note: I was thinking about this the other day, what is it people like about night fishing?

• Guy 2
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 May 2019 17:16 #208515 by Guy 2
Usually (but not always), peace and solitude; fish are often active in the late dusk and early dawn - and most important, no one else can see how bad your fly-casting is!

Others on this forum will add to this no doubt.

What's so good about 'detectoring' in the early hours - I'm assuming you are not just digging up someone's lawn at 3.00am??

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 May 2019 17:52 #208521 by Andy2640

Guy 2 wrote: Usually (but not always), peace and solitude; fish are often active in the late dusk and early dawn - and most important, no one else can see how bad your fly-casting is!

Others on this forum will add to this no doubt.

What's so good about 'detectoring' in the early hours - I'm assuming you are not just digging up someone's lawn at 3.00am??

Hhaha, i have dug up lawns (respectfully of course) at a manor house locally. But never after light. It'd be far too difficult even with NVG's.

I love fishing, but only been in the day. I suppose it would be relaxing fishing at night,very tranquil and quite, and a little spooky im guessing. I never knew about fish been more active in the early hours. The longer i'm on this forum, the more i realise how little i do know ;-)

I might try it after all.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds