BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Gen 4 Off road in the lakes

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 May 2019 14:54 #207789 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Gen 4 Off road in the lakes
Keep the bolt in place I suppose :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2019 20:03 #207822 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Gen 4 Off road in the lakes
Those are the bits I scraped all the paint off when I went off-road, could definitely do with some guards.

• DanTrent
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 May 2019 22:05 #207833 by DanTrent
Replied by DanTrent on topic Gen 4 Off road in the lakes
Hi there, Dan with the Gen 4 here! Thanks for the posts and, most importantly, thanks to all involved for their company, experience, patience while we faffed around with photos and general Jimny enthusiasm. Had a fabulous day out and felt very much one of the gang so thanks to everyone involved again.

I've got a couple of videos for a flavour of the day too.

Just a little taste!

Oh, and a bit of time under the Jimny with a spanner and the bent flanges look a lot better. If it were mine I'd be putting guards on there before doing anything like that again but, as has been said, I think the Gen 4 acquited itself very well indeed.

Couldn't have worked out better though and thanks again to everyone!

Dan

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 May 2019 05:47 #207836 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Gen 4 Off road in the lakes
Nice 1 Dan. Enjoyed this thread. Welcome to the forum too :-)

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
13 May 2019 08:10 #207852 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Gen 4 Off road in the lakes

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
13 May 2019 08:11 #207853 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Gen 4 Off road in the lakes

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

The following user(s) said Thank You: sniper

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
13 May 2019 08:14 - 13 May 2019 08:17 #207854 by Riccy
videos coming later including a nice one of following the new jimny back down Parkamoor.

Thanks for the outing guys! was superb fun, amazing to see the new jimny doing what it does in standard trim and so well. The Parkamoor lane is generally regarded as one of the trickiest technical lanes in the lake district, so it passed with flying colours!

Last edit: 13 May 2019 08:17 by Riccy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, JYM, sniper, ahtr

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
13 May 2019 08:29 #207855 by Lambert
Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
13 May 2019 08:42 #207856 by kirkynut
It looks like it did well. Did you find the gearing too high in low box or was it ok? Could it cope with slightly bigger tyres do you think?

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• DanTrent
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 May 2019 08:59 #207858 by DanTrent
Replied by DanTrent on topic Gen 4 Off road in the lakes
Sniper may be able to offer the voice of experience on this one but I think low range is plenty low enough, Indeed, it's generally geared pretty low, even in 'high' range. I'm writing from the passenger seat as Sim and I go to another job and we're buzzing away at 4,000rpm on the motorway and he keeps going for sixth! Thankfully he hasn't...

And when I was off-road I was conscious of my lack of clearance (and fact I didn't want to clatter the car too hard against anything) so was adopting a pretty slow and cautious approach to the rocks. The combination of low-range first and brake-nibbling traction control meant I could pretty much rock crawl as slow as I needed while still keeping some revs on to gas it when required.

Hope that helps!

Dan

More
13 May 2019 09:57 #207862 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Gen 4 Off road in the lakes
I only had a short drive and it felt like a very healthy gen 3 with regards to gearing, I think it will handle 215's very well. That bit more power it has should make them have little impact.

1L is quite low and with more torque, it should make moving up a few millimetres in tyre size an easy deal.

As for 235's... I couldn't say. At a guess I'd say yes but with some impact to low box.

sniper

More
13 May 2019 10:19 #207864 by Bill Portland
great pics!

That gen4 looks really small compared to the others.

Time to create page: 0.288 seconds