BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Running in the Engine - Engineering explained.

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 May 2019 16:10 #207538 by Andy2640
But not by me ;-) .........

Ok, Gen 4 manual says:

*The future performance and reliability of the engine depends on the care and restraint exercised during its early life. It is especially important to observe the following precautions during its first 600 miles.

* After starting, do not race the engine, wait until warmed up

* Avoid prolonged vehicle operations at a constant speed . Moving parts will break in better if you are vary your speed.

* Start off from a stop slowly, avoid full throttle starts.

* Avoid hard breaking, especially during the first 200 miles.

* Do not drive slowly in a high gear.

*Drive the vehicle at moderate engine speeds.

* Do not tow a trailer fopr the foirst 600 miles.

So, some of these are obvious, like brakes being worn in, and waiting for the engine to warm. However.....

I would love to know whats actually happening during the first 600 miles. Or not happening if the engine is stressed. Anyone wanna make this super clear and preferably detailed for monkey boys like myself.

It has preoccupied a lot of my driving time, wondering what is going on under that hood with the engine and transmission. And at what point do we start incrementally increasing revs etc, and by how much etc etc...... ?

Super - mega detail welcomed. Guess work will also be happily tolerated ;-)

Andy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2019 16:26 #207539 by Gadget
All the different parts of the engine will differ in size by a tiny amount from car to car, due to the limitations of the manufacturing process. When the engine is new, all those parts have to be worn slightly so that they fit perfectly together. There will be microscopic bits of metal being worn off the inside of the engine as pistons and camshaft and valves all do their complicated stuff.

If you just rag a brand new engine, there's a chance that a couple of those bits might decide not to play nicely and jam or knock bigger chunks off each other, so it's better to take things easy to allow for gradual wear.

It's not such a big deal these days are manufacturing tolerances are far tighter, but still well worth it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 May 2019 05:55 #207567 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Running in the Engine - Engineering explained.
Nice1 Gadget, that's interesting stuff.

So, when would you start introducing higher revs then mate? After say 600 miles or...? and finally (sorry, i ask far too many questions) at what point will you hammer it ;-)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 May 2019 06:56 #207568 by Lambert
The longer you are able to be gentle with it the better, to a point. Dreadnaught had 18k of oap miles under her belt when I took her on and it showed. She was unable to rev cleanly and was generally very tight. But equally everything was nicely bedded in when the abuse started. I personally think that the first year or service which ever is first is a good length of time for being at least vaguely careful. After that crack on.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• AlexK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 May 2019 07:25 #207570 by AlexK
Had a conversation with a test engineer for a performance brand about this a few years back. His opinion was that babying a vehicle can do just as much damage as thrashing it. He swore that vehicles he'd driven hard but respectfully* from new had measurably better performance in later life.

*Respectfully means letting everything get up to temperature.

With any 4x4 vehicle, the worst thing you can do is drive at a constant speed on the motorway for ages. That creates an uneven wear pattern in the ring & pinion sets. Varying your speed avoids this.

More
09 May 2019 10:08 #207574 by Velocette
Everything that has been said is the way to do it,,plus the need for an early oil/filter change at 500/600 miles to be sure that all the initial running in rubbish is removed and you have a clean engine to progressively bed in.

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 May 2019 10:16 #207575 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Running in the Engine - Engineering explained.

AlexK wrote: Had a conversation with a test engineer for a performance brand about this a few years back. His opinion was that babying a vehicle can do just as much damage as thrashing it. He swore that vehicles he'd driven hard but respectfully* from new had measurably better performance in later life.

*Respectfully means letting everything get up to temperature.

With any 4x4 vehicle, the worst thing you can do is drive at a constant speed on the motorway for ages. That creates an uneven wear pattern in the ring & pinion sets. Varying your speed avoids this.

Thanks you 2. Now........ that is interesting! Conflicting advice always intrigues me. Decisions decisions. To give it some, or not to give it some, now that is the question. Mmmhhhhh???

• Lambert
    Registered
More
09 May 2019 10:31 #207577 by Lambert
The only thing I would say it that a test engineer giving advice while insightful has to be tempered by the fact that such experiences are usually conducted on someone else's equipment so when it dies a premature death it's at someone else's expense. I'm not saying it's bad advice but would they treat their own car like that or would it get more than a little bit of compassion?

• AlexK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 May 2019 10:49 #207579 by AlexK

Lambert wrote: would they treat their own car like that

Yes, but to be clear neither he nor I are advocating thrashing anything. We're both strong advocates for the concept of mechanical sympathy. His perspective was that pootling about everywhere like an old lady with blue hair leads to a vehicle with stunted performance.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
09 May 2019 11:07 - 09 May 2019 11:07 #207585 by Lambert
Which is exactly what I had when I took on Dreadnaught, wouldn't rev cleanly or much past 3500 rpm and had a flat spot at 2000 rpm. A few months of Italian tune ups later and it was sorted. But equally I do not think she would still be here had the Italian tune ups being conducted from new. All things in moderation.

Last edit: 09 May 2019 11:07 by Lambert.

More
09 May 2019 11:18 #207586 by Bill Portland

Lambert wrote: All things in moderation.

Got it in one!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• G-imny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 May 2019 11:48 #207588 by G-imny
Andy, others have covered the reasons better than I can so I thought I would just mention what I have done with my gen4.

I basically drove it gently for the first 1200 miles not really exceeding 4000 rpm. Between 1200 and 2500 miles I gradually started accelerating a little harder and taking the revs higher though not sustaining high revs for any length of time. All through that period the engine has felt very tight. I am now at 3200 miles and the engine is feeling a lot better, free reving and sounds less harsh.
So I now drive it basically ‘normally’.

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds