BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Not Common

More
07 May 2019 18:21 #207494 by stiffsteve204me
Not Common was created by stiffsteve204me
I have now covered 1028 miles in the Jimny, mainly Motorways and A roads, and have seen more Maserati's than Gen4's. :lol:

1 Gen4
2 Maserati's

Most of today's journey was on the M42, and 60 mph speed limits were in force, and the car was fine. I did take it, briefly, up to 70 mph., and SWMBO and I, both agreed that it is not excessively noisy. Average fuel consumption is now 39.6 mpg.

Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2019 19:16 #207496 by Bill Portland
Replied by Bill Portland on topic Re:Not Common
Maseratis are 2 a penny round here :-) the Levante is actually quite affordable when compared to several of the big Land Rovers, Mercedes and BMW type 4x4s

Mileage wise, I've done 200 miles around town at an average of 41.5mpg followed by a 250 mile round trip to Devon and back on motorways, dual carriageways, fast A roads and tiny little lanes, @ 42.5mpg. I must be driving like Miss Daisy.

When I filled up with fuel it said I had a range of 53 miles but I could only squeeze 26 litres in it so l guess the fuel gauge reads low, should have plenty left when it says its empty. Also, the displayed mpg seems accurate to within 1mpg accriding to the 2 fill ups I've done so far.

Have you noticed your auto headlights coming on and off? I only have to drive under a tree in bright sunshine for the lights to come on. Seems a little sensitive to me.

More
07 May 2019 20:24 - 07 May 2019 20:27 #207498 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Re:Not Common
Almost 2000 miles in 3 months and I've still not seen another Gen4! I saw a dozen Ferraris on the A12 on Saturday, but the Gen4 is a Unicorn.

Best mpg I've managed on a trip is 39.3 (auto box), more like 33 average.

Auto headlights are shocking, I've had to stop using them as they trigger when you pass under a footbridge or a particularly fat pigeon passes overhead.
Last edit: 07 May 2019 20:27 by Gadget.

More
07 May 2019 21:12 #207505 by Bob1050
Replied by Bob1050 on topic Re:Not Common
Might be interesting to see what odds William Hill are offering on Gen 4 Spot the Jimny? In the past 4 months I've only passed one being driven on the road and spotted a couple parked up. Still getting a lot of interest from folk when we park up - all of it favourable apart from one lady who said it wouldn't be suitable for transporting her large dog! Didn't ask her what type of dog she had.

More
07 May 2019 21:47 #207506 by stiffsteve204me
Replied by stiffsteve204me on topic Re:Not Common
The auto lights are too sensitive, IMO. Coming on in broad daylight, when driving under a wee bridge, or even the shade from a tree.

The auto main beam function was in operation tonight, and it also has its drawbacks. Slow to come back on after dipping, is not good when driving narrow, unlit, country lanes.
That said, the light from the main beam is impressive.

I am checking mpg on a neck to neck fill.

Bill, I have noticed that the fuel status is a wee bit pessimistic, but I can live with that. Last fill-up was 30 lt. with the range showing 33 miles.

The Grellow is definitely a Marmite colour, but I like it, and more each day. :lol:

Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.

• Guy 2
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 May 2019 11:22 #207526 by Guy 2
Replied by Guy 2 on topic Re:Not Common
Hi Steve, been away for a few days "getting my treatment" (only joking - I think). How are you finding the "overdrive" automatic in use?

The idea of using the button on the shift is novel, but appealing at the same time.

More
08 May 2019 14:26 #207533 by stiffsteve204me
Replied by stiffsteve204me on topic Re:Not Common

Guy 2 wrote: Hi Steve, been away for a few days "getting my treatment" (only joking - I think). How are you finding the "overdrive" automatic in use?

The idea of using the button on the shift is novel, but appealing at the same time.

Guy, you do not need to use the button in normal driving situations. O/D is engaged automatically, :laugh: . The idea, it would seem, is that if you are driving up a long incline, you disconnect the O/D to stop the auto changing back and forth between 3rd. and 4th.

As to driving, it is fine. Like the manual, an extra gear would be good when 60 mph+, but, like Oscar Wilde's death, things are greatly exaggerated, when it comes to noise and "straining" engines.:lol:

1050 miles on the clock. 39.7 mpg. Oil level fine, not used a drop, and as new, colour-wise. Not like those dirty old diesel engines. :whistle:

Steve.

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds