BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny Spotlights

More
13 May 2019 10:13 - 13 May 2019 10:43 #207863 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Jimny Spotlights
OK. This is a little crude but should explain differences in relay pin connections on different diagrams that people post.

I will preface my comments that this applies to the relays that most people get with their spot lights but doesn't apply to the less common relays with built-in diodes

Relays are relatively simple switches that allow a low current circuit to activate a higher current rated switch. As shown in the picture, pins 85 and 86 are part of the low current circuit that, when current is applied, excites the coil creating an electromagnet that closes the switch between pins 30 and 87......easy. When that is done, a positive and negative connection attached to pins 30 and 87 becomes a completed circuit.

Now the important part for people that are becoming confused when they see different connection schemes from various sources:
Relays do not care about polarity (except for the ones with diodes). They are simple switches. All that needs to be remembered is that 85 and 86 work together and 30 and 87 work together.

The positive side of a circuit can be connected to pin 85 with negative attached to pin 86 or those can be reversed. The same is true of pins 30 and 87.

I will freely admit that this information is from lessons long passed. I will defer to anyone who has greater knowledge.

In the end, I hope that this helps clear some confusion rather than creating more.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 May 2019 10:43 by zukebob.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2019 19:22 #207906 by Dorbs
Replied by Dorbs on topic Jimny Spotlights
Thank you both for your help !
I will have another go in the next couple of days , my son and I are getting this Jimny ready for a cancer charity run in September from Cornwall to Pompeii in Italy. He is recovering from testicular cancer treatment so we are doing the work our selves to keep the cost down .
We really appreciate your help, thank you very much!

More
14 May 2019 05:11 - 14 May 2019 05:11 #207921 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Jimny Spotlights
Excellent explanation - if it isn't already, it needs to be in the Wiki

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 14 May 2019 05:11 by Max Headroom.

More
15 May 2019 19:14 #208056 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Jimny Spotlights
Done this now, works fine.
But couldn't get the light in the switch to work.. Not important of course but would be nice if the switch lit up when the lights did. :)
Hooked ground to it but it just went bananas.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
16 May 2019 03:53 #208071 by zukebob
Dorbs:
After Kirkynut and Yakusa, I think I can now say that I am glad I could help. I would normally suggest that you post a comment after trying the setup but you clearly have some significant priorities. The charity run sounds like a really good cause and I wish the best for both you and your son.

Max:
Thanks for the comment. Yeah.....the Wiki. About that: I have been tempted a couple of times to become involved with the Wiki but it seems as though even some people with Wiki experience have trouble. I may try at some point but it won't be until I have time to really sit down and wrestle with it....if necessary.

Yakusa:
You have me curious now. I actually plan to do this same arrangement with my Jimny. I have given some thought about whether I wanted a lighted switch or not but haven't decided. I think I need to go back to the diagram and give it some additional thought.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 May 2019 11:28 #208111 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Jimny Spotlights
If you have a link to the charity it would like to donate towards the fund raiser, good luck and well done

And well done to the forum members sharing there knowledge, hats off to you I can just about manage a 13amp plug! :D

More
16 May 2019 18:15 #208139 by Dorbs
Replied by Dorbs on topic Jimny Spotlights
Thank you that would be very kind, once we have sorted out how We go about it , we will let everyone know and keep people posted on our progress. It will be Macmillan Cancer Trust and The Teenage Cancer Trust.
Will let everyone know when we have set it up !

Thanks again
Dorbs

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 May 2019 19:56 #208150 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Jimny Spotlights
Thank you

More
17 May 2019 00:07 #208158 by zukebob
I will be waiting for the link as well. I'm just embarrassed that Daniel had to think of it for us......me.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds