BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny Spotlights

More
05 May 2019 20:31 #207412 by Dorbs
Jimny Spotlights was created by Dorbs
Hi
Can someone explain how to wire in spotlights that are connected to high beam and have an additional isolator switch in the cab.
Any help would be great !
Lots of people have various ways/ideas but the information seems disjointed and incomplete in many cases.
Maybe a simple drawing would help many people
Thank you in advance
Dorbs

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2019 09:08 #207437 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Jimny Spotlights

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
Attachments:

More
06 May 2019 09:15 #207438 by zukebob
Sorry. Forgot to label the relay pins.

The lead to battery positive with inline fuse would be pin 30
Relay lead to ground would be pin 85
Relay lead to Spot would be pin 87
The lead from the red wire, through the override switch would connect to pin 86

All of this assumes a wiring harness with relays and inline fuses was supplied with the spots.

More
06 May 2019 10:56 #207448 by Dorbs
Replied by Dorbs on topic Jimny Spotlights
Thank you very much, I really appreciate it, have a good day !

More
07 May 2019 01:16 - 07 May 2019 01:20 #207471 by zukebob
I would normally say "glad I could help" but actually hope you haven't done this yet and see this new post. I've done a decent amount of electrical on the Jimny but too often go back to the grounding system concept of my previous vehicles during discussions.

A corrected diagram is this:

Hopefully this hasn't created any problems.

Attachments:
Last edit: 07 May 2019 01:20 by zukebob.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yakuza

More
07 May 2019 19:18 #207497 by Dorbs
No worries! Just appreciate your help!
Thanks again

More
11 May 2019 12:23 #207725 by Dorbs
I’ve just wired it as you recommended but it doesn’t work how I think it should.
It’s because it’s negatively switched I think !
The lights and spotlights come on as they should on high beam but then if you turn your lights out the spots stay on so you then need to use the isolator switch off as well so basically they act like driving lights but also activate with just the high beam when lights are turned on !!!!!!!?????
Confused I am !!!!

More
12 May 2019 01:45 #207739 by zukebob
Confused we are!

So that I understand:
If you start with the headlights on low beam (main beam), the spots are off
When you turn on high beam, the spots come on.
(Now where I'm not sure) When you go back from high beam to low beam, the spots stay on?
When you have high beam and spots and then turn off the lights, the spots stay on?

You are correct that the lights are negatively switched and the red wire is what gives the high beam a path to ground (at the same time as removing a path to ground for the low beams). Connecting relay pin 85 to the red wire should provide a path to ground for the relay only when the high beams are on. I can't think of why that wouldn't be true.

I will start with things that you have probably already done:
Check to confirm you have connected the lead from relay pin 85 (with override switch) to the red wire on the diagram. Confirm that you have connected the lead from relay pin 86 to either the WHT/BLU or WHT/RED wire of the headlight circuit. If you confirm those things, try removing the lead from the relay to the WHT/BLU or WHT/RED wire and create a temporary extension with an inline fuse and connect to battery positive. If it still doesn't work (meaning the spots are off on low beam, on with high beam, back off with low beam and off regardless of beam setting with the override switch off) then I might consider replacing the relay switch.

Before replacing the relay, you might want to send Facade a PM. He is good with Jimny electrical and it would be good to have his eyes review the sanity of my comments and diagram.

More
12 May 2019 13:26 #207786 by Dorbs
Ok !
I think where I’ve gone wrong is not connecting to the wires red/white by the headlights.
On your diagram where are the spotlights,? Sorry I said elects aren’t my thing . I’ve got
30 to battery
86 to switch and on to high beam wire under the dash
87 to spots
85 to earth

So iam going to swap things around to what you say.
30 to battery
86 to red/white wire by headlight
87 to earth
85 to switch and high beam switch
But where do the spotlights Connect in ?

Really sorry I know your probably fed up now lol !!!

More
13 May 2019 00:12 #207835 by zukebob
Not fed up at all. I have problems with electrical sometimes too. I'm a mechanical guy and sometimes wish I had my degree in electrical instead.

We are almost there. I know my diagram is hard to see. Someday I need to get some software that can do a high quality image so that it can be understood. Anyway, this is a closeup (and hopefully readable) image:

So, starting with the coil portion of the relay, pin 85 to your override switch and then connecting to the red wire
Pin 86 to the WHT/RED or WHT/BLU headlight wire
Pin 30 to battery positive with an inline fuse
Pin 87 to the positive lead of the spots
Ground wires of the spots to an appropriate ground.

One side note that you can ignore if it just confuses. The wire from pin 86 could simply be connected to the wire from pin 30 (at the relay side of the inline fuse). It is really whichever is easier based on mounting location of the relay.

Let us know how it goes.

Attachments:

More
13 May 2019 07:47 #207849 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Jimny Spotlights
Whilst not trying to out do Zookbob, see my efforts to explain how to wire them to come on with the earth switched by the main beam earth for them to come on with the main beam lights.

www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...-continues?start=264

Just provide your own earth if you don't want them to come on with the main beam and switch them via that but put a fuse in line to the two lights.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: zukebob

More
13 May 2019 09:25 - 13 May 2019 09:26 #207860 by zukebob
You're certainly not stepping on my toes Kirkynut. I was hoping someone would come along and provide a sanity check. Sometimes I think I may have lost too many brain cells during my years. I did follow your link and it was a good confirmation of the information.

Dorbs. The wiring diagram that Kirkynut linked to is confirmed to have worked. Regardless of the pin numbers, the connections that he shows and what I show are functionally the same (with your override switch still connected to pin 85....the red and gray stripe wire in his is the same as the red in mine). For now, use whichever connection scheme you prefer.

A little later I will add a diagram to explain the above, hoping that it will prevent confusion when others look at the various threads and pin connections.

Thanks Kirkynut.

Last edit: 13 May 2019 09:26 by zukebob.

Time to create page: 0.195 seconds