BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

WARNING!

More
30 Apr 2019 19:13 #206998 by stiffsteve204me
WARNING! was created by stiffsteve204me
NEVER let anyone wearing a light blue, angora jumper, sit in your Jimny. :evil:

The passenger seat, door trip, and some of the dashboard, looks like a rabbit has explode. :laugh:

Question for Gen5 owners, please.

On initial start up, and for a couple on minutes thereafter,once on the move, I have a cooling level warning light showing. Level is good. This is only from a cold start.

Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2019 19:17 #206999 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic WARNING!
The light shows Blue until normal operating temp is reached then it goes off. If you overheat it will show Red.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stiffsteve204me

More
30 Apr 2019 19:38 #207004 by Bob1050
Replied by Bob1050 on topic WARNING!
Yes that light has troubled me as well. Saw a blue light and thought at first I was driving down the road with my main beam on!

For those who lack mechanical sympathy - that blue glow is a simple reminder not to thrash the engine until the coolant has warmed up.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
30 Apr 2019 19:43 #207007 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic WARNING!
Mechanical sympathy. Now that is something you don't see a lot of these day!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
30 Apr 2019 21:06 #207020 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic WARNING!

Soeley wrote: The light shows Blue until normal operating temp is reached then it goes off. If you overheat it will show Red.

Another warning -if you don't have a temperature guage when if the red light comes on it could be too late. The crappy VW polo TDI once owned had a red "overheat" light and no gauge. After several episodes of refusing to rev, eventually I discovered the cooling fan had never worked on the car. 2 years shutting down was the engine trying to protect itself, red light did not flash once. If it had been a gauge it would have been obvious. Get one of those ODB readers and get the temp out of the engine, best way to tell if it's not well.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
30 Apr 2019 21:52 #207025 by Bill Portland
Replied by Bill Portland on topic WARNING!
The red light will flash if its getting hot and will stay on if its too hot

More
01 May 2019 05:23 #207031 by stiffsteve204me
Replied by stiffsteve204me on topic WARNING!

Scimike wrote:

Soeley wrote: The light shows Blue until normal operating temp is reached then it goes off. If you overheat it will show Red.

Another warning -if you don't have a temperature guage when if the red light comes on it could be too late. The crappy VW polo TDI once owned had a red "overheat" light and no gauge. After several episodes of refusing to rev, eventually I discovered the cooling fan had never worked on the car. 2 years shutting down was the engine trying to protect itself, red light did not flash once. If it had been a gauge it would have been obvious. Get one of those ODB readers and get the temp out of the engine, best way to tell if it's not well.

Link to a correct ODB reader would be appreciated, by this OF, please. :cheer:

I used the oil temp readout on my Yeti from cold to normal operating temperature most times that I drove it. Having coolant temp. on the Jimny would be good, IMO.

Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 May 2019 05:37 - 01 May 2019 05:38 #207034 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Re:Andy's 2019 Blue SZ5
This may be totally normal, and it may be "a thing" on most cars, i dont know but.....

When parked on my driveway about to set off, i sometimes get distracted and fiddle with my phone. Whilst the engine is warming up, the cooling fan (inside engine bay) keeps turning itself on and off intermittently (about every 7-10 seconds).

Is this normal?
Last edit: 01 May 2019 05:38 by Andy2640.

More
01 May 2019 05:50 #207035 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Andy's 2019 Blue SZ5
Based on our Suzuki swift, yes. Every 10 seconds, off and on.

Based on our other cars, no. Never seems to come on at all.

Must be a Suzuki thing

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

More
01 May 2019 06:03 #207036 by stiffsteve204me

Andy2640 wrote: This may be totally normal, and it may be "a thing" on most cars, i dont know but.....

When parked on my driveway about to set off, i sometimes get distracted and fiddle with my phone. Whilst the engine is warming up, the cooling fan (inside engine bay) keeps turning itself on and off intermittently (about every 7-10 seconds).

Is this normal?

Yes, Andy, mine does it as well. I thought that it could be the A/C, but have not bothered to switch it off to find out. :lol:

Steve.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

• AlexK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 May 2019 06:51 #207044 by AlexK
Replied by AlexK on topic WARNING!
Yup, that's the A/C compressor clutch kicking in and out. Completely normal.

More
15 May 2019 08:01 #208007 by facade
Replied by facade on topic WARNING!

GeorgeC wrote: OK, After reading the replies, could the "Climate Control" be Reverse-Cycle Air-Conditioning?

I have a visitor staying at the moment with a big GM Colorado 4X4 + 18' Caravan, and with all the "mine vs yours" b-s flowing the Climate Control feature came up in conversation. His is, indeed, reverse cycle Air Con! :)

In the car? or the caravan? I've never heard of it fitted to a car before, there is little point as the engine needs to lose a bit of heat anyway, and sticking a small water radiator in the air con for heat is cheap & standard practice.

The Gen4 doesn't use reverse cycle, there are rubber water pipes leading to the heater/air con unit behind the engine in the photos, I will confirm on SZ5 if & when I get mine.....(hopefully Saturday :woohoo: )

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds