BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Green lanes, Off road centres, byways, scenic roads - Contribution - DIRECTORY.

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2019 10:43 #206401 by Andy2640
Off roading directory thread. Hopefully we can build this up, region by region.

I'm in Warwickshire, and i'm finding more and more each day.

Here's the 1st. Its nopt a mega long lane, but is does look great.

Twycross -

www.google.com/maps/place/Twycross,+Athe...2.642629!4d-1.504612

Near Rugby -

www.google.com/maps/search/rugby/@52.331....5408176!2d52.660108

Hope this helps in future.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
20 Apr 2019 12:22 - 20 Apr 2019 12:24 #206405 by Riccy
www.glass-uk.org/join-glass.html

Have a look here (or the competiton called ATUK). They both have some fantastic mapping systems to make finding lanes easier (england and wales only).

GLASS's version is called trailwise2.co.uk where I think there is a demo or video of how it works.

Dont forget to check the council 'definitive' map (usually online for each regional council). That is the ONLY way to ensure you are legally driving a lane. Just because its there and looks open, doesn't mean you are actually allowed to go down it.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Last edit: 20 Apr 2019 12:24 by Riccy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jackonlyjack, Andy2640

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Apr 2019 15:12 #206414 by Lambert
There is a general concern that openly publishing the locations of lanes isn't ideal as it gives irresponsible types locations to abuse. It's a damage limitations exercise. As mentioned above glass and atuk are both possessed of good digital maps and restrict them with membership fees. Not fool proof by any means but better than nothing.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2019 15:24 #206416 by Daniel30
Happy valley pay & play - Canterbury

4x4 Without a club - Reading

Both nice courses Reading a bit more technical in wooded area and Canterbury a bit more open field space.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
20 Apr 2019 18:11 #206421 by Riccy
I Just re-read my earlier post and thought it sounded like I was telling you off a bit Andy, sorry that wasnt the intention.

The 'green-lanes' we have are very limited and restricted, which means those in the know are (rightly) a bit possessive of the info.

An example would be some trouble lately in N. Wales with spike traps and lane blockages placed by upset locals. Going down the wrong path could cost dearly, so best to be safe and have the info.

GLASS and ATUK do good work besides giving info on lane locations and conditions, which helps justify the member fees. They help with repairs to lanes for a start, as well as fighting legal threats to lanes. Local reps often run meetings or laning' days (newbie runs are ideal to get an idea of what to expect and meet people). Facebook is your friend here. Join the local groups and get on an outing :-)

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2019 18:19 #206423 by Andy2640

Riccy wrote: I Just re-read my earlier post and thought it sounded like I was telling you off a bit Andy, sorry that wasnt the intention.

The 'green-lanes' we have are very limited and restricted, which means those in the know are (rightly) a bit possessive of the info.

An example would be some trouble lately in N. Wales with spike traps and lane blockages placed by upset locals. Going down the wrong path could cost dearly, so best to be safe and have the info.

GLASS and ATUK do good work besides giving info on lane locations and conditions, which helps justify the member fees. They help with repairs to lanes for a start, as well as fighting legal threats to lanes. Local reps often run meetings or laning' days (newbie runs are ideal to get an idea of what to expect and meet people). Facebook is your friend here. Join the local groups and get on an outing :-)

Hi Riccy,

Not at all buddy, your post was very helpful and appreciated. I'm going to become a member next week. Its a great resource and I like that they take care of the locations.

Just got to sign up to Facebook now ;-)

Thanks again Riccy!

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Apr 2019 14:17 #206452 by Andy2640

Riccy wrote: www.glass-uk.org/join-glass.html

Have a look here (or the competiton called ATUK). They both have some fantastic mapping systems to make finding lanes easier (england and wales only).

GLASS's version is called trailwise2.co.uk where I think there is a demo or video of how it works.

Dont forget to check the council 'definitive' map (usually online for each regional council). That is the ONLY way to ensure you are legally driving a lane. Just because its there and looks open, doesn't mean you are actually allowed to go down it.

Great videos Riccy.

The ford crossing one is especially brilliant.

• NickR
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Apr 2019 13:11 #206641 by NickR
Hi Andy,

I need to join GLASS as well to try out a few more lanes (we tend to play at a 4x4 centre near us), but also look out for UCR (Unclassified roads). Warwickshire council's definitive map (maps.warwickshire.gov.uk/rightsofway/) does not show those, but they (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) have told me there are a total of 8 BOATs (Byways Open to All Traffic) in Warwickshire (most very short apparently), and they redirected me to the County Highways Team (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) for UCRs. As Riccy says, they can tell you if there are any current restrictions (TROs - www.warwickshire.gov.uk/pathorders) in place on those routes.

There is a nice long section of the Centenary Way near Ufton that is actually an unclassified road (the signs saying Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles are good signs for research!) that I have been along (and back) once, although it too apparently has some history of people straying off-track inconsiderately. Now I mention it, I think I want to try it again :)

Riccy - are you impartial or can you make a recommendation of ATUK vs GLASS for considerate laning info, especially for a non-Facebook user which seems to be a hindrance nowadays?! Thanks :)

Nick

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Apr 2019 16:04 - 25 Apr 2019 16:36 #206645 by Andy2640
Hi Nick,

Yes.... I am going to support and sign up for one of the two as well. I have found a "free resource" for the location of byways BOATs, and it shows 95% of them.

Still going to join one of the 2 though, simply out of respect for green laning and the work they do.

A note on the "unsuitable for motor vehicles" thing. One well known lane which is legally open to all vehicles, has this sign posted up too. It is to "persuade" vehicles to not enter, but legally it is moot (As far as i know, but i'm pretty sure on this). One lane i wont mention here has been petitioned by walkers, and is in a state of bureaucratic stalemate. From my research....You do have the legal right to use this lane, but because of heavy vehicle use and perhaps inconsiderate bad apples, some walkers have got the hump. I reserve judgement on this. Good thing about all generation jimny's is...we are light ;-) I'm game!!

PM heading your way.
Last edit: 25 Apr 2019 16:36 by Andy2640.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
25 Apr 2019 17:11 #206651 by Riccy

NickR wrote:
Riccy - are you impartial or can you make a recommendation of ATUK vs GLASS for considerate laning info, especially for a non-Facebook user which seems to be a hindrance nowadays?! Thanks :)

Nick

GLASS for me.
They have been around a lot longer, their lane mapping system is good and the local area reps are great.

ATUK is only a couple of years old so doesnt list anything like as many lanes (nothing at all in Nortumberland for example). They do have a recent trick up their sleeve relating to being able to use the mapping system with GPS to get your location and being able to upload .GPX route files to the servers, neither of which the GLASS system supports (though may now the competition are doing it hopefully).

Both have forums but they dont get much traffic, Facebook is where they seem to focus most of their efforts. It is handy for chat and organising, but theres always a few bitchy comments now and then (usual banter stuff).

From a proactive point they seem to differ. GLASS like to keep an eye on the legal challenges to lanes and have funding set aside from memberships for this. They encourage laning primarily for 4x4 but do recognize the 2 wheel brigade. Dont do a vast amount of lane maintenance days.
ATUK are a bit softer and prefer to avoid the legal stuff so much and focus more on users helping to maintain fairly bland lanes so they are suitable for all. They are what I (being a Northerner) would refer to as 'Southern pansies' from my point of view, hence I didnt renew my membership there :laugh:

More
25 Apr 2019 20:02 - 25 Apr 2019 20:03 #206666 by Scimike
I only tend to visit pay and play sites, but these are good:

Avalanche Adventure near Sibbertoft

avalancheadventure.co.uk/

Small but plenty of fun for the day. Can be driven without damage it you want or you can put it on the roof....not me happy to say

Wagtail 4x4

wagtail4x4offroadcentre.yolasite.com/

Large site with simple feilds to drive or more muddy sections. Great if you are a group and want to camp etc. In fact going to the site again next weekend for camping and fun with my Series. Any local Jimnys want to call to say hello?

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 25 Apr 2019 20:03 by Scimike.

• NickR
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Apr 2019 06:24 #206679 by NickR
Thanks Riccy, I finally got round to it and joined GLASS last night - just waiting for my Trailwise approval. :)

Scimike,
I hired Avalanche Adventure for the day for a bunch of cars a couple of days before Christmas 2016. Great fun, and the centre was one massive clay mud pit to slide around in! Unfortunately, the clay basically became grinding paste, and was still taking it's toll on our cars to varying extents months later. Might give it another go in a dry period to see the difference.

Wagtail is our "local" and we often pop by on the way home from work as it is only a few miles detour. We were there on Tuesday although the weekend had baked the ground hard so make sure your fillings are in solidly :) The rain over the last few days should have softened it again. That is a great place to play, as you say, with a massive variety of obstacles from grass to seemingly-impassable mud pits!

Are you there all weekend? I can't be sure if I can make it, but I will try and drop in if I can!

Sounds like there may be a few of us in the Midlands area...

Nick

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds