BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Front Accessory 12V Power Socket

• Juullees
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Apr 2019 07:21 #205746 by Juullees
Front accessory power socket was created by Juullees
Hi team
I'm VERY excited to be picking up my first Jimny on Friday. It's a 2013 SZ4.
Please bear with me as not very tech savvy. I've had a search around the site but can't find the answer: there's a CD player/radio in the car and something called a "Front accessory power socket" in the description. Is this socket somewhere I can plug in a cable to connect my phone either by USB or aux cable? Would I need to buy something or get someone to put something in to enable playback of music from my phone?
Thanks in advance! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 Apr 2019 09:05 #205748 by Lambert
Not entirely sure but it sounds like a sales speak for a cigarette lighter socket/12v power outlet it's all my 2011s came with.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juullees

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 Apr 2019 09:05 #205749 by Lambert
Oh and welcome to the forum.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Cremator1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Apr 2019 16:34 #205767 by Cremator1
Replied by Cremator1 on topic Front accessory power socket
Yep that’s it it’s a flash word for cigarette lighter socket

• MilkyRon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Apr 2019 20:10 #205778 by MilkyRon
Replied by MilkyRon on topic Front accessory power socket
Hi Juullees,

Welcome and congrats on the new Jimny. As has already been said, that 'front accessory power socket' will only be good for supplying power not for getting any data from your phone to the sound system.

If you want to play music from your phone through the car sound system, the only way to go is to replace the standard head unit (the CD player). Don't panic, it's not as expensive or as complicated as it may seem. There are a few posts on this forum covering the exact process. The good news is, that they come in standard sizes and all you need is the new head unit and something called an ISO wiring harness. If you don't fancy doing it yourself, somewhere like Halfords will not only sell you both but they'll fit them for you as well (for a fee).

ISO Harness example
www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/st...ess-adaptor-ct20hd02

Head Unit example
www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/ca...ouble-din-car-stereo

Both of these can be sourced elsewhere cheaper and there are many more options for head unit out there. Happy shopping!

• Juullees
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Apr 2019 11:13 #205806 by Juullees
Replied by Juullees on topic Front accessory power socket
Thanks Lambert :)

• Juullees
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Apr 2019 11:15 #205807 by Juullees
Thanks so much for all that MR, very much appreciated! :)

• Juullees
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Apr 2019 13:27 #205813 by Juullees
Solar panels?! B)

More
10 Apr 2019 15:21 #205816 by kirkynut
My 2000 Jimny's cigarette lighter socket has no power when the ignition is off. I expect it's the same with your later model.

You could easily run a seperate one straight from the battery through to the top of the dash yo have a female cigarette lighter socket there for your solar panel y
to trickle charge the battery.

I never had much luck with our old SJ and a solar panel.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
10 Apr 2019 19:10 #205838 by kirkynut
I think mine was parked in the shade too much. It was between out buildings at the in laws before we had our own place with a garage and electricity on tap in the dry.

With it being 20 minutes away I couldn't just take it for a spin like I do the Jimny now.

I ought to put the Jimny on a battery manager now but the old battery lasted 8 years with seldom usage.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Apr 2019 19:55 #205841 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Front accessory power socket

MilkyRon wrote: Hi Juullees,

Welcome and congrats on the new Jimny. As has already been said, that 'front accessory power socket' will only be good for supplying power not for getting any data from your phone to the sound system.

If you want to play music from your phone through the car sound system, the only way to go is to replace the standard head unit (the CD player). Don't panic, it's not as expensive or as complicated as it may seem. There are a few posts on this forum covering the exact process. The good news is, that they come in standard sizes and all you need is the new head unit and something called an ISO wiring harness. If you don't fancy doing it yourself, somewhere like Halfords will not only sell you both but they'll fit them for you as well (for a fee).

ISO Harness example
www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/st...ess-adaptor-ct20hd02

Head Unit example
www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/ca...ouble-din-car-stereo

Both of these can be sourced elsewhere cheaper and there are many more options for head unit out there. Happy shopping!

The tricky bit is sourcing the right surround as they differ by a few millimetres so if you fined one you like you can get the surround afterwards once you have the correct measurements

More
30 Apr 2019 07:02 #206958 by Gadget
The 12V sockets not being live with the ignition off is a pain in the bum. I was camping at the weekend and needed to charge my phone, so had to sit in the car with the ignition on for ages! Think I'll add an additional socket that's live all the time.

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds