BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Brakes suddenly got no power...for no reason:/

• Fred2000
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Mar 2019 19:11 #205258 by Fred2000
Evening all:)

New to Jimmy's, only had mine a month or so. Kingpins gone so did the front passenger one last Saturday. Obviously involved taking the caliper off, but didn't open the system at all. After putting it all back together, the brakes had lost all their power for the first thirty seconds or so after starting it up. After this they go more or less back to normal, pedal maybe slightly lower than usual but nothing dramatic. Can't think what would cause an issue like this just from removing the caliper and bolting back on again. :S
Thanks in advance;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2019 19:57 #205260 by facade
Are you sure it isn't a wheelbearing gone not a kingpin- and you haven't disturbed the wheelbearings?

When the front wheelbearings fail the wheel wobbles and the disc moves pushing the pads outwards, so the first half of the pedal travel is used up moving the pads back out.

Other than that I can't think of anything if all you did was move the calliper out of the way and then put it back, and everything is done up tight to spec.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Fred2000
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Mar 2019 20:05 #205262 by Fred2000
Replied by Fred2000 on topic Brakes suddenly got no power...for no reason:/
Thanks, it's quite likely that's the issue...I know for a fact the wheel bearings have gone so I'll replace them and let you know if that's sorted it

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds