BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Gearbox level / filler plug removal

More
24 Mar 2019 13:06 #205002 by RogersJimmy
2001 Jimny

Try as I might, I cannot shift this plug to check the oil level. I have owned the car for a few months and have no idea when it was last checked so think it is a good idea to know.

How do others overcome this problem? I have a proper metric square tool that I got to do the axle plugs, but getting a leverage on it is difficult in the location of the plug.

I have even thought about making a hole in the transmission tunnel to get at it!

Any advice gratefully received before I get drastic!

Cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2019 18:41 #205008 by jackonlyjack
My square drive has a 17mm body to take spanner or socket
So i just slide scaffold tube over the spanner for extra leverage
I also have 4 ramps select 4wd low and drive up for easier access
The following user(s) said Thank You: RogersJimmy

More
24 Mar 2019 22:25 #205025 by Velocette
Just did mine yesterday. Used a 17mm ring spanner on the square drive body and hooked a foot long piece of tube over the end to extend it. Use a flat Snap On spanner to get up the narrow gap between bulkhead and the filler plug. I also ran the car for a few miles first to warm up the gearbox housing a little. The best part was using one of those syphoning oil pumps off e-bay to refill the box. No struggling or spillage whatsoever !

More
25 Mar 2019 08:53 #205034 by RogersJimmy
Thanks for helpful replies.

Velocette, please could you post the link to the eBay pump you have as there are several types on there.
And do you have a Velo? Perhaps an LE with that intriguing hand gear change?

More
25 Mar 2019 09:43 #205035 by Velocette
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThis is the one,,

Not an LE I'm afraid,,,a 1966 500 Venom Clubman .

More
25 Mar 2019 09:54 #205037 by RogersJimmy
Thanks Velocette,
I have ordered one and can see 101 uses for it in my garage.

Think I would rather have your Venom than an LE any day. I remember the police using grey LEs in the 60s. We called them Noddy Bikes!

Cheers.

More
25 Mar 2019 23:15 #205069 by Max Headroom
My father very successfully raced an MOV 250 in the 1950s long before I pitched up.
I'd love to know if that machine survived but he hasn't a photo with the number plate on it.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds