BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

All Terrain Tyre Comparisons

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Mar 2019 08:58 #204003 by Lambert
Here you go. This is on soft road springs and the standard 205 70 bfg urban terrain tyres. It's since git much stiffer track only springs as it painfully firm on normal pothole roads.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Guy 2
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Mar 2019 11:50 #204010 by Guy 2
Replied by Guy 2 on topic All Terrain Tyre Comparisons
Brilliant - I'm impressed.

I didn't know Jimnys did this kind of thing.

It's a bit unexpected - like finding out that your Grandmother is a CIA assassin!

Thanks

More
02 Mar 2019 13:44 #204018 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic All Terrain Tyre Comparisons
I have had a couple of sets of Yokohama Geolander GO15's on A GV and on a Jimny. They perform well on road and off, but in the sizes for the Jimny and GV, they are not available in LT spec, so have the puncture resistance of a party balloon.

BFG's have a reputation for longevity, puncture resistance, gravel road use, and really crap wet weather performance. They also don't fair very well on sand, and don't grip very well on rock.

My personal favourites are Firestone Destination A/T's. Geared towards the commercial vehicle market, they are tough as nails, a good all rounder, and one of the quietest A/T tyres I have come across. Unfortunately size availability is severely limited.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Guy 2

• Guy 2
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Mar 2019 17:40 #204031 by Guy 2
Thank you saxj - that's really helpful.

I'll check the Firestone Destination sizes and report back for the Forum, but I suspect from what you say that they may not come in small enough sizes.

So, I might well end up off-roading on a set of 'party balloons'; but then again I am sure some folk will say to me "You're a bit of a clown aren't you" - so it could all fit right in!

• Guy 2
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Mar 2019 17:53 #204032 by Guy 2
Just noticed you are on Firestone Destinations that are "215/80R15" and "are 5% bigger than stock".

Question then becomes whether these are readily available in the UK and the merits/demerits of going to this size - for a variety of reasons. But very interesting all the same.

More
02 Mar 2019 20:08 #204035 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic All Terrain Tyre Comparisons

saxj wrote: I have had a couple of sets of Yokohama Geolander GO15's on A GV and on a Jimny. They perform well on road and off, but in the sizes for the Jimny and GV, they are not available in LT spec, so have the puncture resistance of a party balloon.

I have G015s in 215/75R15 and they're listed as being LT spec on the Yokohama website? Not sure what LT spec is mind you.

• Guy 2
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Mar 2019 20:32 #204036 by Guy 2
Gadget, I think that's "Light Truck". The Americans use a lot of these - as their Pickups and SUVs are so much heavier than ours. It's a heavier construction of the same tyre, or so I understand.

I'll add it onto the list of things to look up - and post something.

Cheers

More
02 Mar 2019 23:20 #204041 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic All Terrain Tyre Comparisons

Gadget wrote:

saxj wrote: I have had a couple of sets of Yokohama Geolander GO15's on A GV and on a Jimny. They perform well on road and off, but in the sizes for the Jimny and GV, they are not available in LT spec, so have the puncture resistance of a party balloon.

I have G015s in 215/75R15 and they're listed as being LT spec on the Yokohama website? Not sure what LT spec is mind you.

In SA they are not available in LT spec. LT is a heavier construction, meant for of road use. If you get them in LT, they will be the ones to go for. I was really happy with the way they performed.

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Mar 2019 00:00 - 03 Mar 2019 00:04 #204044 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic All Terrain Tyre Comparisons
Guy, check these out if you aint already. They score E FUEL and E WET.

TOYO OPEN COUNTRY AT PLUS.
Last edit: 03 Mar 2019 00:04 by Andy2640.

• cyberdriver
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Mar 2019 04:39 #204045 by cyberdriver
Replied by cyberdriver on topic All Terrain Tyre Comparisons
These are towards the road end of the AT spectrum and recently available here (Aus) in 215/75R15:
tyrenews.com.au/michelin-introduces-ltx-force-in-australia/
Getting good reviews and might suit me when my Gen 4 arrives - will be mostly road, sand (beach) and gravel roads. Haven't heard of anyone running these on a Jimny though so please talk me out of it if you think it's a bad idea. it might be worth asking Michelin UK if/when they're getting them.

• Guy 2
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Mar 2019 14:51 #204055 by Guy 2
Thanks cyberdriver. Looks good - particularly in relation to wet grip, in which I am particularly interested. The tyre has appeared on the UK market - but, so far, in a very limited size range and not as a 215/75R15, as yet.
I'll see if I can find out about Michelin's plans.

Definitely, 'One to Watch'!

Best wishes from Blighty!

• Guy 2
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Mar 2019 15:56 - 03 Mar 2019 16:02 #204056 by Guy 2
Good looking tyre. Described as having an "asymmetric tread pattern" on the Toyo website - which may be more of a problem if you were wanting to rotate tyres. The zig-zag longitudinal channels may also be, relatively-speaking, less effective at clearing rain, or they may be perfectly OK. It's difficult to tell. No 'Three Peak' designation? But considered good on snow -
cut & paste
ezconsider.com/toyo-open-country-at2-vs-...iscoverer-at3-tires/

Toyo Open Country AT2 might be an even better option? Seems to be well thought of by the on-and-off-road Community - and not asymmetric as far as I can tell.

I am a bit uncertain about the EU tyre rating system. Supposedly BFG KO2s are rated F & B - where 'B' is wet weather performance! This when the stories of poor performance in the wet by these tyres are pretty widespread.

Sorry, this was meant as a reply to Andy - didn't quite come out that way in the first edit!
Last edit: 03 Mar 2019 16:02 by Guy 2. Reason: Not obvious to whom I had addressed this.

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds