BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

More expense.

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
19 Feb 2019 05:28 #203426 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic More expense.
Not out of the woods yet. I ran out of daylight with the water pump still needing to go back on and the rad and plastic intake pipes off. The thermostat housing on mine is plastic? and was in perfect condition though the lip seal wasn't wanting to leave it's bed. I put the hot air gun over the thermostat and it did cycle but I'm not sure if that wasn't as a result of me having to pry it free having un stuck it? The design of the blades on the new pump impeller look much more efficient on the new pump, longer and more curved/aggressive like they will actually move water rather than thrash it about. When I have looked at the old and new rad caps it ie they that are showing the most obvious discrepancy the old one being quite nasty and a bit hard in the rubber, the new one almost pops when I undo it even with the rad on the bench so its not impossible that the old one was not sealing proper and allowed pressure to bleed more than it should? Anyway it should be tested by this afternoon and I'll be able to see if it has stabilized or is still spiking past 99 degrees in a quarter of a mile. If it is then it's a new viscous coupling and a temperature sensor because the rest of the system is cleaned or new.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2019 06:56 #203429 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic More expense.
Just so you know normal operating temperatures, my 2000 twin cam runs at 89' when cruising at 30 mph but increases to 92' when going up a hill or at speed. Sometimes when pushed it might get to 95' but no more.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Lambert
    Registered
More
19 Feb 2019 07:18 #203431 by Lambert
Thanks those are comparators to what I was seeing regularly on the autool until Sunday which is why I didn't like seeing 107. Not catastrophic but a significant increase on the previous normative range and more than enough to upset me. I suspect that if I do get a result I'm going to anxious about it for a while yet as so far nothing I have replaced has suffered a serious injury and replacing everything at once makes it difficult to isolate the culprit. Positive mental attitude, it's going to be fine in no time!

More
19 Feb 2019 08:01 #203435 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic More expense.
I certainly sounds like a stuck or jammed thermostat from the symptoms, I hope your work sorts the problem.
Looks like a horrible job for such a simple device., but at least you are nearly done and the other new parts should have all possibilities covered.
Good luck and keep that positive attitude.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Lambert
    Registered
More
19 Feb 2019 14:39 #203453 by Lambert
Damn it. It's not holding a stable temperature. Into the middle 90s just on my estate side roads. And even with a good lump of revs on the fan is quite easily stopped using a cloth. Grrrrrrr.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
19 Feb 2019 17:58 #203466 by Lambert
Don't mainwearing captain panic. Speaking to a service department type and concluded that the radiator could be partially blocked so out with my spare one and I'm another step closer. The heater currently isn't so I have to think that there's still an air locking issue somewhere. Letting it cool over night and see if it takes some more water and then play with it some more. Just out of curiosity where is the temperature sensor?

More
19 Feb 2019 20:06 #203476 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic More expense.
I had a similar issue with my'79 MG and connected the heater matrix to an outside tap and flushed the system in both directions and was astonished at the muck that came out
I know these are two different animals but it may help - just dont over-pressurize it.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

• Lambert
    Registered
More
20 Feb 2019 04:57 #203505 by Lambert
At this point I'm inclined to give it a go. I'll see what has happened over night and give it some more thought.

More
20 Feb 2019 07:58 - 20 Feb 2019 08:00 #203510 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic More expense.
Perhaps solve the airlock issue before changing the radiator.

Did you have the heater on hot when you re-filled it?

From where you are now, put the heater on fully hot, start her up, take the rad cap off and keep gently squeezing both upper and lower radiator hoses to expel air.

Top up coolant as necessary and do this until the thermostat has opened and both radiator hoses are hot.

If it has surpassed 98' and started to go down from the cooler water in the radiator but is then not holding a stable temperature I'd then start to consider changing the radiator and going through the above procedure as you re-fill it.

After this it can only be the fan. I think Martin found a way of locking it up once but it's a long time since I read it. It may have been transferred over to the Wiki.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 20 Feb 2019 08:00 by kirkynut.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
20 Feb 2019 08:29 #203512 by Lambert
The new ish rad is already in. What I might try next is a dose of system clean and repeated clean water flushes just to be sure there's no build up of deposits though I can't see how.

More
20 Feb 2019 09:50 - 20 Feb 2019 09:51 #203520 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic More expense.
Reference to viscous fan coupling......noticed that normally when you start the Jimny the font AC fan will turn quickly due to air being drawn from the viscous fan, then after about 30 it will stop turning as the viscous coupling releases the main fan.

This is due to the coupling being "locked" from the day before use at start, it releases as the engine is now cool to assist warm up.

Just trying to help with an observation that happens on a working engine.

Good luck

Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 20 Feb 2019 09:51 by Scimike.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
20 Feb 2019 14:29 #203533 by Lambert
Getting somewhere now. Topped up via the top hose with cleaning fluid and ran up to temperature as directed maintaining a stable 86 87 and the heater is too. Just dropped the cleaning fluid and no sludge or garbage. Given a clean water flush and drain and another to be sure and then fill with red oat. Looking promising.

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds