BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

NEW Jimny TYRE choice discussion.

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2019 12:49 #202896 by Andy2640
NEW Jimny TYRE choice discussion. was created by Andy2640
Apologies if this has been debated before, i did look around and only found limited mentions on tyre choice.

Daz's looked great with AT3's, Roam overlander's looked great with KO2's and some lkook great with Toyo at's, MT's and RT's

Personally i dont like the thin look of the stock tyres. I would probably want to go with 215/75/15.

I will be driving around 70/30 70 on to 30 off road.

I like the look of some tryes (KO2) but am awre they are bad on wet asphalt. AT3's are ok too, but i have found some others that might fit the bill.

Toyo Country seem ok, there AT+ Plus seems a good comprimise, giving fairly agressive looks but with decent on-road ability. The M/T would be bad for on road, and the R/T seem to be inbetween AT and MT.

In an ideal world i would love the KO2 with good on road ability, but this is clearly not the case.

So i defer to you lovely lot for some guidance and recommendations.

Pictures in order:

1. KO2
2. Toyo country R/T
2. Toyo country R/T
3. Toyo country M/T
4. AT3'S

Thank you kindly,

Andy.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TomNewton
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2019 13:14 #202897 by TomNewton
Replied by TomNewton on topic NEW Jimny TYRE choice discussion.
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI'm likely to go with the Toyo A/T+ when mine arrives next month so interested in this also. Not being able to stretch to BF they seem to be the best balance for me.

Good price for x4 here >

• cyberdriver
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2019 14:39 #202902 by cyberdriver
Replied by cyberdriver on topic NEW Jimny TYRE choice discussion.
These tyres are built for big SUVs and a Jimny weighs next to nothing, so all other things being equal I would get the lightest tyre with the lowest load rating. Last time I looked that was Toyos. tiresize.com has the weights.

• JustCallMeRick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2019 15:11 #202903 by JustCallMeRick
Replied by JustCallMeRick on topic NEW Jimny TYRE choice discussion.
Als check out the hankook dynapro atm (rf10).
Very good allround tire.

More
10 Feb 2019 15:25 #202904 by Gadget
I spent ages looking at different tyre options, which if I'm honest are an almost purely aesthetic choice, as I do little to no driving offroad. Whatever you choose in the larger size, you're likely to see slightly worse fuel economy (I reckon mine has dropped a couple of mpg) and potentially less ride comfort due to the higher load rating.

I went for Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 in 215/75R15 and I'm really pleased with them, as they give it far more presence on the road without being OTT. Garage set pressure to 34-36psi, which I've dropped to 30 at the moment and the ride seems as good as it did beforehand. Debating dropping them lower but they already look fairly soft with an even contact patch.

They come with white outline lettering on one side, but I've had them fitted so that you can't see it:

Compared to stock Duelers:

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: JYM, Andy2640, marbles

More
10 Feb 2019 16:10 #202906 by Busta
Gadget- 30 still sounds very high. I run 21psi in my same-sized BFGoodrich. With a larger volume tyre you expect to run lower pressures, so I'd certainly not have them any higher than the standard tyres.

Given the cars are so similar, suitable tyres will be no different to those widely discussed for the gen3. BFG All- and Mud-terrains, Yokohama Geolanders, Goodyear Wranglers, Toyo Open Country, Kumho KL71s all offer different levels of aggressiveness and cover a variety of price points.

Sizing wise, 195/80r15 or 215/75r15 will preserve good road manners and keep gearing standard. However, looking at pictures there's a good chance 235/75r15s will fit without issue. They are a much more popular tyre size amongst 4x4s which opens up a wider choice of tyres, often cheaper than their smaller equivalents.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget, Andy2640

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2019 17:01 #202912 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic NEW Jimny TYRE choice discussion.
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

TomNewton wrote: I'm likely to go with the Toyo A/T+ when mine arrives next month so interested in this also. Not being able to stretch to BF they seem to be the best balance for me.

Good price for x4 here >

Hi Tom,

Yeah i really liked the prospect of these Toyo AT plus's, but on a picky and rather silly note, they have a moulding line that runs right around the tyre wall. Call me silly but im not sure I like the look of it. Here is a piccy. Might overlook it though, as they seem to be a great balanced tyre.
Attachments:

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2019 17:04 #202913 by Andy2640

Gadget wrote: I spent ages looking at different tyre options, which if I'm honest are an almost purely aesthetic choice, as I do little to no driving offroad. Whatever you choose in the larger size, you're likely to see slightly worse fuel economy (I reckon mine has dropped a couple of mpg) and potentially less ride comfort due to the higher load rating.

I went for Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 in 215/75R15 and I'm really pleased with them, as they give it far more presence on the road without being OTT. Garage set pressure to 34-36psi, which I've dropped to 30 at the moment and the ride seems as good as it did beforehand. Debating dropping them lower but they already look fairly soft with an even contact patch.

They come with white outline lettering on one side, but I've had them fitted so that you can't see it:

Very nice! Havnt seen these before. I like these ALOT. Thx.

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2019 17:05 #202914 by Andy2640

Busta wrote: Gadget- 30 still sounds very high. I run 21psi in my same-sized BFGoodrich. With a larger volume tyre you expect to run lower pressures, so I'd certainly not have them any higher than the standard tyres.

Given the cars are so similar, suitable tyres will be no different to those widely discussed for the gen3. BFG All- and Mud-terrains, Yokohama Geolanders, Goodyear Wranglers, Toyo Open Country, Kumho KL71s all offer different levels of aggressiveness and cover a variety of price points.

Sizing wise, 195/80r15 or 215/75r15 will preserve good road manners and keep gearing standard. However, looking at pictures there's a good chance 235/75r15s will fit without issue. They are a much more popular tyre size amongst 4x4s which opens up a wider choice of tyres, often cheaper than their smaller equivalents.

I'd love the 235's!!! Very cool prospect. However wont they take the Jim over the 5% warranty rule? Sorry im naff with maths.

Thanks.

• Dorsetdumpling
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Feb 2019 00:56 #202957 by Dorsetdumpling
Replied by Dorsetdumpling on topic NEW Jimny TYRE choice discussion.

Gadget wrote: I spent ages looking at different tyre options, which if I'm honest are an almost purely aesthetic choice, as I do little to no driving offroad. Whatever you choose in the larger size, you're likely to see slightly worse fuel economy (I reckon mine has dropped a couple of mpg) and potentially less ride comfort due to the higher load rating.

Great looking tyre, but where did you get them from?

I’ve looked around but can’t find a source for this size?

Even the Yokohoma site doesn’t seem to list them in this size.

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Feb 2019 01:00 #202958 by Andy2640
Great looking tyre, but where did you get them from?

I’ve looked around but can’t find a source for this size?

Even the Yokohoma site doesn’t seem to list them in this size.[/quote]

Here you go buddy. alltyres365.co.uk/Tyre/4x4-suv/allseason...xEAQYBCABEgK7_vD_BwE

More
11 Feb 2019 06:28 #202970 by Gadget
I got mine from blackcircles.com, but bizarrely they don't seem to list them any longer - I only got them on Thursday!

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds