BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Leather swivel gaiters, anyone made any?

More
06 Feb 2019 01:12 #202653 by Scimike
In the next few weeks I will take the Jimmy right of passage and change my swivel bearings as the drivers side got me an advisor on my recent MOT. Sure enough I can move the wheel vertically and feel the movement in the swivel seal, not that bad, but it's time to take action.
I plan to do both sides as both have seen the same 50k, and why not whilst I have the tools out. The swivels both have rusty areas where the seal has rubbed off the finish, I assume this rust stops the seal working effectively, then over time water gets in and it's bye bye bearing. I plan to clean off the rust and paint the swivels with POR15 which is as hard as glass when it's sets, so this should last another 50k (maybe).

Coming from a Land Rover background changing the swivel raiko bush is the same right of passage, but you can fit leather (or military rubber) gaiters to protect the chrome swivels from damage. Just wondering if anyone has considered similar to protect the Jimmy swivels and extend the life of the seal?
I may just have a go at making some, but just wondering if such a product exists or is actually needed.

I suspect this may divide opinion as it does in the Land Rover world, but see the potential benefit on a predominantly road based vehicle.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 Feb 2019 05:32 #202657 by Lambert
It has been done but I'm dubious about the benefits. It effectively seals in any moisture that is present or finds its own way in and doesn't allow it to dissipate leading to more corrosion even if you pack them will grease. Also the swivel seal is just there to keep the bigger bits of rubbish out of the joint. It's not an oil or grease seal. The only relatively effective way of prolonging the kingpins is to assemble them with waterproof grease preferably the blue stuff Martin sells in the shop. Ultimately though kingpins on a Jimny are a service item and will have to be replaced relatively often.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
06 Feb 2019 10:13 - 06 Feb 2019 10:14 #202671 by Busta
Landrover swivels are a different design. The CVs are oil immersed (although the oil is normally replaced with grease so it doesn't leak out so quickly). They rely on the polished surface and good seal to keep the lubricant in.
Jimny swivels do not use the same kind of lubrication, so a perfect sealing surface is not important. As Lambert says, the role of the seal on a jimny is merely to keep big stuff out. Changing kingpin bearings is a 45 minutes job once you've done a couple so I wouldn't invest too much time trying to prevent the inevitable.
Although the Landrover system potentially has a longer service life, the weak CVs are prone to failure and the process of changing them is much harder and made very unpleasant thanks to the presences of vast amounts of greasy sludge as you may well know. Fixing a Jimny is like playing with lego in comparison.
Last edit: 06 Feb 2019 10:14 by Busta.

More
06 Feb 2019 12:27 - 06 Feb 2019 12:31 #202673 by Scimike
Thanks, interesting.
I do see the problem myself with gaiters if you "off road" in muddy water etc as they fill up with mud which gets trapped inside, so my Land Rover does not have them fitted for this reason. But if the vehicle spends it's days "on road" with the gaiters fitted with drain holes at the bottom I just see them preventing stone damage and rust on the swivels which could be good step in preventing bearing failure.

I am assuming the swivel bearings usually fail due to rust and or dirt ingress as they look more than up to the job from a design view. So maybe this is the question, what causes them to fail?

It's not a problem for me to change them, quite looking forward to it, but just over thinking it as I do. :woohoo:

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 06 Feb 2019 12:31 by Scimike.

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 Feb 2019 12:45 #202677 by Lambert
The failure mode is rust brought on by water ingress either by immersion or capillary action or even just condensation inside the swivel. The state of the outer ball surface has no bearing on the situation as mine are now pitted like the moon but are no worse than when they were smooth. The seal simply doesn't work against liquid. Also having a drain in a gaiter defeats the object as water will get in passing the ball seal and doing a number on the bearings. The bearings are disposable it's just how it is.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
06 Feb 2019 13:09 #202679 by Bosanek
I essentially agree with Lambert's conclusions.

The cheapest, fastest and most effective method for prolonging the service life of the king pin bearings is to coat them in the most resilient waterproof and everything-proof grease which you can find.
I and some other people have had excellent experience with Divinol Fett Top 2003 grease. That is a sludge from another galaxy.

It is pointless to try to redesign a cheaply designed mechanical system. It's ultimately cheaper to apply a sane protection measure (good grease) and just replace the bearings when they inevitably do wear off.
Mercedes G class has a much, much more robustly designed front wheel swivel housing system (for example, the CV joint is encased in a double rubber boot), and that's one of the reasons why that vehicle is the most expensive 4WD vehicle in the world.

More
06 Feb 2019 14:25 #202682 by Scimike
Thanks all, I have put my leather scissors back in the box. :laugh:

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds