BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

2019 Jimny - Real Life Experience + Feedback

• Guy 2
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Mar 2019 16:35 #204491 by Guy 2

saxj wrote:

Guy 2 wrote:

saxj wrote: I fitted better coils and shocks. It makes a big difference in wind

Hi saxj - just noticed your comment. Can you tell me what "coils and shocks"? Does this relate to a lift (as I suspect it does), or is your Gen 4 (with the 'Rising Sun') still at standard height?

I am a fan of better engineered shocks in particular - but don't know how much benefit I might get for a standard height Jimny.

The coils are custom made, medium duty coils which give me around 50mm of lift. The shocks are Gabriel HDPs. Someone like Martin would be able to tell y o u what a suitable replacement would be. The shocks that fit the Gen3 fit the Gen4.

Thanks saxj.

Tried to reply to this once already, so if you've got two replies just ignore one!

Coils and shocks sound 'hardcore'. I'll take delivery (sometime or other), and then try out OE shocks and then talk to Martin - as you suggest.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2019 18:09 - 12 Mar 2019 21:13 #204494 by Soeley
One thing I have noticed that is pretty useless are the sun visors, too narrow and not deep enough. Might look for some alternatives.
Last edit: 12 Mar 2019 21:13 by Soeley.

• Dorsetdumpling
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Mar 2019 18:26 #204495 by Dorsetdumpling
Replied by Dorsetdumpling on topic 2019 Jimny - Real Life Experience + Feedback

Foxtrot wrote: facade wrote:
Dorsetdumpling wrote: it can brake autonomously,

My Vitara has a radar controlled Autonomous braking, it can get confused when you are heading towards a traffic calming bollard that you have to swerve around. It thinks your heading towards it and in all respects you are. In the first instance the screen goes bright red and an alarm sounds. I find by just tapping the brake pedal it assumes you have taken some action and turns itself off. They are generally activated at a certain speed to avoid them going off in tight slow moving traffic, I don't know what the minimum activation speed is for the Jimny . The new Jimny has already had this quirk of the system identified with the production vehicles.

I saw this - it’s interesting because if you look carefully, when the weaving starts, there’s no red flashing AEB warning display, instead it is the ESP warning light that’s flashing so it suggests that the car thinks it’s skidding rather than about to hit something.

• mikeyw85
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Mar 2019 09:13 #204516 by mikeyw85
Replied by mikeyw85 on topic 2019 Jimny - Real Life Experience + Feedback
We are experiencing quite a lot of wind right now, but even so I have found the Jimny to be affected by wind quite strongly. My commute is short, but it's mostly across the moors in North Yorkshire at a fairly exposed location. I find myself having to steer into the wind quite aggressively. Sometimes as much as much as 45 degree's of steering input to go in a straight line, in extreme cases. Because of this there is no way that I personally would lift the Jimny (by 50mm or whatever). This is largely due to my circumstances, but I just thought it was worth bearing in mind. Lot's of new Jimny owners like myself are first time owners, many of whom are diving into lot's of modification straight away. So in light of all this I thought it was worth considering. I'm not sure how much worse lifting the car would make things, but I can only see it being a bit worse potentially.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
13 Mar 2019 09:35 #204517 by Lambert
When I was doing some of the development testing for my circuit springs I had the displeasure of being out in some strong winds and even with the unfeasibly stiff roll characteristics they give Ermintrude was still a handful in a cross wind. I put most of that down to the slab sidedness and light weight rather than the suspension per se. That said though a suitably designed lift kit with decent quality dampers designed to better control the increased centre of gravity shouldn't make it any less stable than standard. It's just a matter of doing research and development.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Mar 2019 16:18 #204526 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic 2019 Jimny - Real Life Experience + Feedback

mikeyw85 wrote: We are experiencing quite a lot of wind right now, but even so I have found the Jimny to be affected by wind quite strongly. My commute is short, but it's mostly across the moors in North Yorkshire at a fairly exposed location. I find myself having to steer into the wind quite aggressively. Sometimes as much as much as 45 degree's of steering input to go in a straight line, in extreme cases. Because of this there is no way that I personally would lift the Jimny (by 50mm or whatever). This is largely due to my circumstances, but I just thought it was worth bearing in mind. Lot's of new Jimny owners like myself are first time owners, many of whom are diving into lot's of modification straight away. So in light of all this I thought it was worth considering. I'm not sure how much worse lifting the car would make things, but I can only see it being a bit worse potentially.

Very honest and interesting observations bud. Thanks for sharing that. Together with Lamberts input, i will think a little deeper before sticking new springs on etc.

• mikeyw85
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Mar 2019 16:38 #204528 by mikeyw85
Replied by mikeyw85 on topic 2019 Jimny - Real Life Experience + Feedback
Yeah it's probably wrong to assume a lift kit would adversely effect this, but it's certainly worth thinking about for some people such as myself.

More
13 Mar 2019 16:46 - 13 Mar 2019 16:47 #204530 by Foxtrot

mikeyw85 wrote: We are experiencing quite a lot of wind right now, but even so I have found the Jimny to be affected by wind quite strongly.

It can be quite alarming coming from a saloon car to a small lightweight slab sided 4x4. When I got my first Jimny it felt more like flying a Tiger Moth than driving a car :silly: . You will soon get used to it and compensate for its different handling characteristics...:)
Last edit: 13 Mar 2019 16:47 by Foxtrot.

• MrPaynterZA
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Mar 2019 03:35 #204551 by MrPaynterZA
Replied by MrPaynterZA on topic 2019 Jimny - Real Life Experience + Feedback
Just chiming in to say I've been offline a couple of weeks and just caught up. Thanks all for the feedback and opinions!

My SZ4 / GA is also fast nearing 2000mph as I neglect my motorcycle (usual transport) and I could not be happier with it at all!

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Mar 2019 09:15 #204559 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic 2019 Jimny - Real Life Experience + Feedback

MrPaynterZA wrote: Just chiming in to say I've been offline a couple of weeks and just caught up. Thanks all for the feedback and opinions!

My SZ4 / GA is also fast nearing 2000mph

Holy smokes!

I want whatever your jimny has! :-)

• Guy 2
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Mar 2019 15:13 #204581 by Guy 2

Andy2640 wrote:

MrPaynterZA wrote: Just chiming in to say I've been offline a couple of weeks and just caught up. Thanks all for the feedback and opinions!

My SZ4 / GA is also fast nearing 2000mph

Holy smokes!

I want whatever your jimny has! :-)

I don't know about "2000mph" but I reckon when (if ever) I get my new Jimny up in the Highlands the windscreen could well achieve "2000 flies per hour"!

More
14 Mar 2019 23:27 - 14 Mar 2019 23:27 #204606 by Bob1050

Soeley wrote: One thing I have noticed that is pretty useless are the sun visors, too narrow and not deep enough. Might look for some alternatives.

You are bang on the money with that observation. Couple of business trips last week and found the sun visors are also not wide enough and the sun kept shining through the large gaps. Thought this car was designed in the 'Land of the Rising Sun' and the Japanese would have developed a better system? To be fair I was driving towards the 'Land of the Setting Sun' but it was still an irritation.
Last edit: 14 Mar 2019 23:27 by Bob1050.

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds