BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

2019 Jimny - Real Life Experience + Feedback

More
10 Sep 2019 20:43 #213399 by Soeley
Not had any problems with Android Auto, but I don't use it that often. It connects best if you give the unit 30 seconds or so to fully boot up before connecting your phone.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2019 21:14 #213401 by Gadget
I've had the odd problem with it connecting, usually if I plug in immediately after turning the car on. Once that happens, it's a major faff to get working again. As others have said, best to wait until the unit has completely started up and the radio starts playing before connecting.

More
18 Sep 2019 20:15 #213688 by Bill Portland

Bob1050 wrote:

Bill Portland wrote: Funnily enough, autoglass repaired a chip in mine today. Not terribly successfully and I'm waiting for someone to come and check it cos its worse than it was. I guess they'll say they tried, but that I need a new windscreen. I wonder if they'll have original Suzuki replacements or some generic make (and which is best)?

I understand that Autoglass (and their competitors) do not fit 'genuine Suzuki' windscreens - but then again, how many windscreen manufacturers exist that would tool up to make a few Jimny windscreens. I suspect all Jimny windscreens (for new build and replacement) all come from just one or two factories in the world.

The current fashion for saving weight/saving costs/saving the planet seems to be making windscreens ever more easily chipped/fractured.

Regarding Bill's concern about his repaired windscreen - your discussion will likely revolve around "the repair is structurally sound (the bonding) and guaranteed - but the cosmetic appearance was the best we could do in the circumstances". If your Jimny requires a new windscreen - the 'fully loaded/sensor' windscreen - the fitter will have to recalibrate your sensors - and Autoglass will advise you that if they are not successful then it's your problem to resolve at the Suzuki dealers. Sometimes basic and poverty spec cars have their attractions/benefits.

That's exactly how the discussion went. I was unhappy with the repair and got them back and they agreed to replace the windscreen. They're fitting a genuine Suzuki one next week but they can't calibrate the ADAS so my Suzuki dealer is doing that afterwards for the price of £39.95 which is being picked up by autoglass (and no doubt passed on to my insurer).

More
19 Sep 2019 16:34 #213710 by Bob1050

Bill Portland wrote:

Bob1050 wrote:

Bill Portland wrote: Funnily enough, autoglass repaired a chip in mine today. Not terribly successfully and I'm waiting for someone to come and check it cos its worse than it was. I guess they'll say they tried, but that I need a new windscreen. I wonder if they'll have original Suzuki replacements or some generic make (and which is best)?

I understand that Autoglass (and their competitors) do not fit 'genuine Suzuki' windscreens - but then again, how many windscreen manufacturers exist that would tool up to make a few Jimny windscreens. I suspect all Jimny windscreens (for new build and replacement) all come from just one or two factories in the world.

The current fashion for saving weight/saving costs/saving the planet seems to be making windscreens ever more easily chipped/fractured.

Regarding Bill's concern about his repaired windscreen - your discussion will likely revolve around "the repair is structurally sound (the bonding) and guaranteed - but the cosmetic appearance was the best we could do in the circumstances". If your Jimny requires a new windscreen - the 'fully loaded/sensor' windscreen - the fitter will have to recalibrate your sensors - and Autoglass will advise you that if they are not successful then it's your problem to resolve at the Suzuki dealers. Sometimes basic and poverty spec cars have their attractions/benefits.

That's exactly how the discussion went. I was unhappy with the repair and got them back and they agreed to replace the windscreen. They're fitting a genuine Suzuki one next week but they can't calibrate the ADAS so my Suzuki dealer is doing that afterwards for the price of £39.95 which is being picked up by autoglass (and no doubt passed on to my insurer).

Oh no! Someone (Bill) agrees with me on a public forum! On a more serious note - thanks to Bill for updating us and trust others find the info of interest and value. We trust Bill's Jimny is fully restored to ex-factory condition.

More
21 Sep 2019 09:02 - 21 Sep 2019 09:03 #213757 by DAGZOOK
I’m currently at the Newport Suzuki dealership having my 2000mile check up. In the time that I’ve been here, two customers have come in enquiring about a gen.4 jimny! One of which has just given a £500 deposit, with the re-assurance to have one shortly. We all know what the waiting lists are like at the moment, most dealerships have stopped taking deposits!

It feels good to be a Gen. 4 owner, no regrets what so ever.
Last edit: 21 Sep 2019 09:03 by DAGZOOK.

More
21 Sep 2019 09:38 #213759 by Bill Portland

DAGZOOK wrote: I’m currently at the Newport Suzuki dealership having my 2000mile check up. In the time that I’ve been here, two customers have come in enquiring about a gen.4 jimny! One of which has just given a £500 deposit, with the re-assurance to have one shortly. We all know what the waiting lists are like at the moment, most dealerships have stopped taking deposits!

It feels good to be a Gen. 4 owner, no regrets what so ever.

Have you asked about the pull away noise and/or the auto headlights (if you suffer from either)?

More
21 Sep 2019 11:21 #213760 by DAGZOOK
Bill, yes I mentioned both. The micro grind noise has only exposed itself a couple of times to me, I heard it whilst on a 400mile trip around north Wales. The only way to replicate it is to pull up a hill in first under load.

Also mentioned the ridiculously sensitive auto headlights.

Both issues were instantly mocked and played down. I expressed my concerns and got the service managers details. They told me that they couldn’t replicate either fault and gave me a fault diagnosis print out. I suggest if enough of us are suffering from the same issues, we collaborate and go for the jugular. Not overly impressed with my first main dealer experience.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill Portland

More
24 Sep 2019 13:46 #213814 by Bill Portland

Bob1050 wrote:

Bill Portland wrote:

Bob1050 wrote:

Oh no! Someone (Bill) agrees with me on a public forum! On a more serious note - thanks to Bill for updating us and trust others find the info of interest and value. We trust Bill's Jimny is fully restored to ex-factory condition.

Autoglass replaced the windscreen today (with a genuine suzuki one) and also recalibrated the ADAS system themselves. Between me booking it in and today they had received the necessary parts to do the recalibration. So all is well in the world again.

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Sep 2019 14:06 #213815 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic 2019 Jimny - Real Life Experience + Feedback
Good to hear all is well Bill. I suspect recalibration is nothing more than a paper target on the wall and then through a built in setting mode adjusting to suit. I bet Martin can find out.
Chris

More
24 Sep 2019 14:15 #213816 by Bill Portland

CC Baxter wrote: Good to hear all is well Bill. I suspect recalibration is nothing more than a paper target on the wall and then through a built in setting mode adjusting to suit. I bet Martin can find out.
Chris

Apparently there is a static calibration followed by a dynamic one, they took it out for a drive for the dynamic one. May be just a test that it's working?
The following user(s) said Thank You: CC Baxter

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Sep 2019 14:56 #213817 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Re:2019 Jimny - Real Life Experience + Feedback
Thanks Bill, interesting. I've never owned a car with this collision stuff before, can't say I like it much.
Chris

More
24 Sep 2019 15:34 #213818 by mlines
The system is based around a non-visible to the human eye laser. I can see it being some sort of beam coverage test which makes the laser visible to either a camera or flurescent target.

I have a collision avoidance system on the RAnge Rover. It is ok when used with the cruise control system as it can speed the car up and down to maintain a set distance behind the traffic in front meaning that you can actually use cruise control effectively. However the collision avoidance bit can create situations in which unsolicited braking occurs..

An exampe is where you are in a moving convoy of vehicles with a safe gap between you and the car in front. A car from another lane then squeezes into the gap. The average driver would lift the throttle slightly to drop back to create some space behind the car in front. However the system sees this as a car that has suddenly entered the collision zone so it brakes firmly, surprising you and the car behind you. If you decide to pull out to go around this intruding car you find that the braking is still happening so you have pulled out into the outside lane whilst slowing down and waiting a couple of seconds for the car to realise the obstruction has gone and release the accelerator back to you.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill Portland

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds