BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

My completely bias and somewhat unhelpful review of the gen4.

More
29 Jan 2019 08:25 #201994 by Gadget
Agreed and my comment was only in jest, although it was the jelly mould shape that put me off buying a Gen3.

A new stock car is never going to be as good a fit to the owner as an older car that has been fettled to suit. I'm really looking forward to the aftermarket parts market growing for the Gen4. If someone releases more comfy seats where you can lock in the recline, I'll be throwing money at them :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Hammo19
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jan 2019 08:58 #202001 by Hammo19
I am a newbie to Jimny’s and this forum. It’s great to get a view from anyone on the new model. I have one on order but not yet driven one so any feedback is interesting and informative. I guess it all depends on what you want to use the new one for and personal circumstances. For what it’s worth, I have a Skoda Kodiaq with a 2.0 petrol and that sounds like a diesel but it’s a smooth engine.

More
29 Jan 2019 09:27 - 29 Jan 2019 10:58 #202007 by Scimike
Suzuki have done what they do best and evolve the product rather than radically alter it. Take a look at the motorcycle division will show the same philosophy, alter the styling, make a few tweaks, slightly more performance and away we go for a few years. Many parts remain the same, as you say it keeps development costs down.
I like the retro shape of the GEN4, they are just following Fiat (500) and VW (Beetle ) in producing a modern retro version Samurai, all be it a little late to this party. So I would expect the GEN3 and GEN4 have strong similarities as they will share the same parts bin.

Coming from a "normal" car a year ago I can honestly say that the Jimny is a truly awful car. The seats are small and uncomfortable, the ride is bouncy, engine noise loud, steering vague, steams up, etc etc. I would not expect the latest Jimny to be much better, how can it be, why should it be? I love my GEN3 Jimny with all its flaws, I am sure I would love a GEN 4 just the same with all its flaws, its just character.

So your review is not that biased and as I expected the GEN4 still has many of the issues associated with the previous generations, but if you redesign all the issues out you stop making a Jimny and start making a clone of an Evoke, Duster, Fiat 4x4 etc, take your pick. Plenty of better on road ( off road) vehicles out there if you see what I mean.

My main issue with GEN 1 to 3 for me has always been the rust issue which is bad by "normal" car standards. They just dont appear to have addressed this between models and unfortunately cant see any evidence of improvements on GEN4, time will tell.

Nice to see the different views on the vehicle, it proves its a tough market to get correct for everyone.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 29 Jan 2019 10:58 by Scimike.

More
29 Jan 2019 12:04 #202016 by JYM

Scimike wrote: My main issue with GEN 1 to 3 for me has always been the rust issue which is bad by "normal" car standards. They just dont appear to have addressed this between models and unfortunately cant see any evidence of improvements on GEN4, time will tell. e.

Hopefully it will be better..
" To help resist corrosion, improved zinc coating and undercoating techniques have also been introduced."

More
29 Jan 2019 14:08 - 29 Jan 2019 14:09 #202023 by Scimike
I do hope you are correct and this is not just sales speak. Within the next two years we will know, the first signs will be rust on chassis welds. If this happens as per the GEN3 then its a sign not much has changed.
I'll keep looking......

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 29 Jan 2019 14:09 by Scimike.

More
30 Jan 2019 07:25 #202060 by Busta
I'm pleased not a lot has changed. When they announced the gen 4 was on its way I was convinced we would lose the ladder chassis, live axles and low range but I'm delighted they have stayed and will possibly be with us for another 15-20 years.
I'm also not too worried about the vacuum hubs and kingpins being unchanged. Yes, they are known problem areas (although I have had very little trouble from mine) but in the big scheme of things they are actually very easy to fix, and the only common issues on an otherwise very reliable vehicle.
Regarding rust, on gen3s it typically doesn't become a critical issue until the vehicle is atleast 15 years old which I would consider acceptable for a budget car and from a new owners perspective that should be adequate.
The thing that irks me the most is the hype around the 'new' Jimny and all the reviews saying how much better it is than the predecessor, when it is becoming increasingly apparent that very little of any substance has been changed.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
30 Jan 2019 07:32 #202063 by Lambert
To be honest I suspect that if you could find a new old stock gen3 with delivery mileage on it and drive it back to back with a gen4 the difference in driving dynamics between the two is going to be minimal. It's like comparison of tired old suspension and shiny new stuff it's not a realistic comparison.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
30 Jan 2019 07:45 #202064 by Busta
I think you're right Lambert. It's also interesting to see some new owners repeating older concerns about the short gearing, and being wary of doing motorway speeds. Again, not things I've ever had issues with but things you might have expected suzuki to address with this new more powerful model.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
30 Jan 2019 07:52 #202065 by Lambert
I can forgive a bit of thet by dint of showing mechanical sympathy to a new car but equally I can believe that if you are used to a fwd low cog relatively long wheel base vehicle a Jimny is going to be quite a culture shock at motorway speeds though I would anticipate that diminishes with familiarity.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
30 Jan 2019 10:58 - 30 Jan 2019 10:58 #202080 by Gadget
I don't think it's a case of being wary of motorway speeds, just that the majority of cars are pulling far fewer revs at 70mph, so things sound a bit thrashy. Had the same thing with my old 1.6 petrol Octavia - only a 5 speed box and 70mph was over 3000rpm, so a bit noisier than ideal, although it would happily sit at that speed all day.

I usually drive at 60-65mph on the motorway anyway, so only having a 4 speed AT on the Jimny is no biggie, plus I didn't buy it to be a motorway cruiser, I'd have got a Mundano if I needed to do that!
Last edit: 30 Jan 2019 10:58 by Gadget.

More
30 Jan 2019 11:50 #202085 by Busta
I've never found the engine noise intrusive and will happily sit at 80mph in the Jimny, but then I'm used to high revving cars. My Peugeot 106 will cruise along at 5000rpm/85mph until the cows come home.
My girlfirend's C1 has the opposite problem. It sits at really low revs at 70mph which seems refined, but the gearing is so long and drawn out it kills any performance and pleasure you might get from what is actually quite a characterful, if low powered, engine. You constantly have to downshift to maintain good speed.

• G-imny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jan 2019 12:41 #202089 by G-imny
I take my gen4 AT on the motorway and yes it will happily sit at 70+mph. It is quite noisy though at over 3000rpm. At 60mph it is pulling 2800rpm and at that speed the engine is much quieter, road noise is more dominant. So I drive a bit slower than I used to and enjoy it more.

I have only driven 400 miles so far so it may improve with time but I think the old 1.3vvt was smoother at high revs.

Compared to the gen3 I think it is more comfortable and more spacious in the front. Boot space is tiny but the fact the seats fold flat is a massive improvement. LED headlights are great.

Is it better than a modified gen3, probably not. Is it the best they could have made it, no. I still love it though.

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds