BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

My completely bias and somewhat unhelpful review of the gen4.

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
28 Jan 2019 07:18 #201898 by Lambert
Ok so I weakened and went to have a play in a gen4 at Appleyard Canal Road.

No. Sorry.

Things I don't like.
You sit on it not in it, the seats are nasty.
Are we sure the 1.5 isn't a diesel? Very harsh and intrusive and quite a vibration on idle.
The boot space is ridiculous, my 10kg working cockerpoo wouldn't be able to wriggle round if the seats were up.
It's too tall and the tyres look too skinny almost like a crossply.
Collision avoidance, no.
Road sign repeats, no.
Auto headlights, clever but too sensitive.
Lane departure warning, no.

Things I like.
The ally wheels.

Sorry but you would need to take my dog hostage to get me to drive one of those daily.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Busta, zukebob, Riccy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SmallBlue
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jan 2019 18:25 #201933 by SmallBlue
Seats are way better than my previous Jimny, engine sounds a little agricultural granted but goes well. It’s 80% more civilised on the road than previous model. Some gadgets are overkill but I’m made up with mine.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
28 Jan 2019 19:15 #201937 by Lambert
The seats compared to my old worn out ones would be better I'm sure but compared to my current recaros not even close. My m13 has nearly 90k on and is way way smoother and quieter than the 1.5 in their demonstration one. Again suspension wise the dead stuff I took off was way worse but compared to the Gucci stuff i have on now that offers supreme control...

Like I said I'm bias.

More
29 Jan 2019 02:43 #201973 by zukebob
Your final take away is a little harsher than mine but I don't think you are being biased. I think it is more likely you developed an opinion going in with wide open eyes.

I was leaning a little to the negative side when I went to see one at the Philippine auto show. The result for me (from a slightly negative starting point) was that I didn't think it was as bad as I first thought. I think if someone with a positive opinion were to review it, and were totally objective, they would likely start to feel some disappointment.

An interesting read from the Auszookers forum:
Auszookers: New Jimny Pics page 3

While that thread needs to be kept in the context that most of their members have a universal dislike for Jimnys, the main point of page 3 still reflects what I see as unfortunate: in place of taking the opportunity to engineer and improve some areas, they decided to stick on a new body.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Lambert
    Registered
More
29 Jan 2019 05:32 #201977 by Lambert
The thing is that the gen4 is really a second iteration of the coil sprung Jimny and I'm with you on the comment about just sticking a new body on a lightly revised frame, yes it looks retro and yes there are limits to the available space in such a small vehicle but I honestly think that more effort could have been put to modernise and rectify some of the known chassis issues that on the face of it have been left alone. Why isn't it permanent 4x4, why do the king pins appear to be identical, why if it must be part time 4x4 are there still vacuum hubs and so on? It just could have been better.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
29 Jan 2019 05:44 #201978 by Lambert
Oh and I know the answer to the above questions; cost benefit calculations, it's cheaper and more profitable for Suzuki to give it some gizmos to fall in with current market trends than it is to indulge in costly engineering that is of no benefit to an average 3 year owner, after all its a cheap car and when the warranty is up buy another.

More
29 Jan 2019 06:17 #201980 by Gadget
From my perspective the body was the main flaw of the gen3, as they're fugly :whistle:

• Lambert
    Registered
More
29 Jan 2019 06:31 #201982 by Lambert
It's easy to say that of any vehicle. I could just as easily say that the gen4 was drawn by a 5 year old with a ruler and a blunt crayon, it's all back to the bias I started this thread talking about. I happen to like jelly mould styling just as much as I do straight line retro.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
29 Jan 2019 06:51 #201985 by Lambert
The thing is I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. I'm just noting my opinion, as a 12 year veteran of the gen3, that for me the gen4 isn't all I hoped it could be.

More
29 Jan 2019 06:58 #201988 by zukebob
Amen.

And I don't see this forum ever leaning toward the other forum I mentioned with the old school folks insulting the new gen folks.

As I've mentioned, I would never trade my current Jimny to get a new model. If I didn't have a Jimny would I buy a new model? Probably.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
29 Jan 2019 07:14 #201989 by Lambert
Everyone is welcome here and is equally important regardless of the generation of Jimny and is entitled to their opinion. This is something I hold dear, but at the same time I will resist attempts to denigrate other or their vehicles or what they choose to do with or to them. We're all here for positive reasons and can all behave respectfully.

More
29 Jan 2019 07:21 #201992 by zukebob
Amen number 2

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds