BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Gen 4 Tyre Pressure

More
26 Jan 2019 20:46 #201789 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Gen 4 Tyre Pressure

Dorsetdumpling wrote: My experience of basic TPMS is that you inflate your tyres to the right pressures, then reset the system.

You therefore “tell it” what the pressures should be.

The system will then warn if tyre pressures drop below this initial setting beyond a defined margin.

More sophisticated versions will show the actual pressures on the instrument panel display.

You can see the actual psi on the screen if you go through the menu once the wheels have rotated a few times. They were showing 38, now 26 without showing an alert. So I can presume the monitor weren't set at the higher pressure.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dorsetdumpling
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jan 2019 20:52 #201791 by Dorsetdumpling
Replied by Dorsetdumpling on topic Gen 4 Tyre Pressure

TaterTot wrote: I've only seen basic ones that trigger on lowered pressure. And I would guess it's like that, because the pressure won't naturally increase in a tire, on the road. Well, unless it gets really hot that is.

The ones that show the actual tyre pressure are quite informative, as you drive from cold you can watch the tyre pressures rise quite a significant amount even during normal driving.

I think that there was one version of ‘TPMS’ that worked by using the ABS sensors on each wheel to compare the rates at which the wheels were turning relative to each other. The idea was that if a tyre was running flat, that wheel’s diameter would be effectively reduced, and it would be going round faster than the others.

• TaterTot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jan 2019 22:19 #201799 by TaterTot
Replied by TaterTot on topic Gen 4 Tyre Pressure
Oh sure. Wonder how many weird ways one could actually measure that stuff, by using other systems.

But the thing I tried to say was about the basic ones. They are pretty simple, but they do what they should.

• ColdFire
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Jan 2019 01:28 #201805 by ColdFire
Replied by ColdFire on topic Gen 4 Tyre Pressure
I took apart the Jimny TPMS and install aftermarket one that shows TEMP and PSI of each tire. Better in my opinion.

• invincible
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Jan 2019 11:52 #201835 by invincible
Replied by invincible on topic Gen 4 Tyre Pressure
new cooper at3 s yesterday, garage put 30psi in all bounced everywhere, got home at put the norm 23 front 27 rear

More
28 Jan 2019 09:17 #201909 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Gen 4 Tyre Pressure
The garage needs a serious rebuke for that - my neighbour almost came off the road because a garage over inflated the tyres on hers

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds