BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

4x4 vs winter

More
23 Jan 2019 19:48 #201547 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Re:4x4 vs winter
Mud and snow tyres are summer tyres in my opinion.
Three peaks snowflake are better.
No norwegians use summer tires in winter here, and half use steel dubbed tires.
Still most main roads are salted.

Foreign trucks enter Norway on M+S tires tjhinking it will be adequate:

www.at.no/artikler/video-fra-e6-fikk-pol...tog-i-fronten/455597

Hopefully M+S tires will not be allowed anymore now..

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2019 03:20 #201584 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Re:4x4 vs winter

Bill Portland wrote: Where do mud and snow (M+S) tyres come into the scheme of things? .

I dont think they do Bill. I was having this very discussion with my neighbour earlier this evening.

I think that for tyres to be deemed as "winter tyres" and meet the minimum standards set for performing in cold or winter conditions only then can they have mountain snowflake symbol on them

I might be wrong but I think that M+S tyres without the mountain snowflake symbol won't be made of compounds suited to cold weather situations.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Attachments:

More
24 Jan 2019 03:26 - 24 Jan 2019 03:29 #201585 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Re:4x4 vs winter
When I was driving in the Norwegian winter (with the RAF) all our vehicles had studded tyres - I was astonished! You could drive on compacted snow and ice almost normally as if they were dry roads!

Studded tyres are illegal here apparently :(

Last edit: 24 Jan 2019 03:29 by Max Headroom.

More
24 Jan 2019 07:27 - 24 Jan 2019 07:27 #201592 by Bill Portland
Replied by Bill Portland on topic 4x4 vs winter
I just popped out to check and the Peugeot 2008 comes with m+s tyres which also have the mountain snowflake logo. I'm impressed. They're Goodyear vector 4 seasons.
The new Jimny just has summer tyres doesn't it? I wonder if they will do alternatives as an option?
Last edit: 24 Jan 2019 07:27 by Bill Portland.

More
24 Jan 2019 11:43 - 24 Jan 2019 12:08 #201605 by facade
Replied by facade on topic 4x4 vs winter
I have Michelin Winter tyres on my current Jimny, and they are excellent- unless you really do have a lead foot, they keep the back end behind the front where it should be, and allow some braking on icy roads. I've only used 4wd once on ice or snow in the 4 years I've had them, and I could likely have got it going in 2wd anyway if I'd made more of an effort to drive properly.

They are covered with those tiny sipes that supposedly grip a bit on wet ice.

I was hoping to just pop them on The New One when it arrives, but they will be too small, even if the wheels go on.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 24 Jan 2019 12:08 by facade.

More
24 Jan 2019 11:52 #201606 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic 4x4 vs winter

Bill Portland wrote: I just popped out to check and the Peugeot 2008 comes with m+s tyres which also have the mountain snowflake logo. I'm impressed. They're Goodyear vector 4 seasons.

We had the G'year Vector 4 Seasons on our Meriva and managed to get out in the snow last year (just locally). We live on a hill that doesn't get gritted and we didnt get stuck,
They get pretty good reviews, and weren't particularly expensive either

The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill Portland

More
24 Jan 2019 12:30 #201610 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic 4x4 vs winter

facade wrote: The New One when it arrives, .

Ah so, you have a new JImny coming. Nice.
We have such little snow here that I am more worried about wet and in particular ice because we have a menace I never thought I would experience so much...........twisting bendy roads; they are a ruddy nightmare ...........and narrow with it.:angry: :(

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
24 Jan 2019 14:09 #201616 by facade
The Winter tyres are good at low road temperatures, they are road tyres so they give good wet braking performance when there is no ice, they aren't studded, so they don't cut into ice, but they definitely offer more grip than the Renault Nissan on its pretty worn Summer tyres, as I proved on Tuesday driving home in the Renault Nissan .

On another forum, there is a heated debate every year about whether it is worth fitting Winter tyres in England, when there are only 3 or 4 days a year at the most when you actually need them.

My argument is that if you can simply leave the car on the drive for those 3 days, then it isn't. However, if you might have to go to work then it is, as even the slightest bump will cost more in time and insurance hikes/excesses than the Winter tyres, but of course, you can't actually quantify this, as a bump you didn't have is nigh on impossible to value.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
24 Jan 2019 14:31 #201620 by reedx
Replied by reedx on topic 4x4 vs winter

facade wrote: On another forum, there is a heated debate every year about whether it is worth fitting Winter tyres in England, when there are only 3 or 4 days a year at the most when you actually need them.

I thought the main reasoning was that the compound worked better at temperatures below 7C, so probably 3-4 months a year in the UK. B)

I'm a big fan of winter tyres. My current daily driver is a 2nd generation Berlingo (XTR) which are terrible on ice/snow. I live at just under 1000 feet above sea level and run winter tyres all year to save the hassle of swapping over. I was expecting tyre wear to be an issue but the set of fronts I've just changed lasted 32K miles ( Continental Winter Contact TS850 ).

Colin

More
24 Jan 2019 14:42 #201622 by facade

reedx wrote: I thought the main reasoning was that the compound worked better at temperatures below 7C, so probably 3-4 months a year in the UK. B)

It is for me, but I can drive the Renault Nissan on it Summer tyres at low temperatures on dry tarmac same as everybody else. It is only when you have cold slippery roads that you would notice having Winter tyres.

Plus I have already bought the things, I need to wear 'em out before they pass their "best before" date ;)

More
24 Jan 2019 19:44 #201645 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic 4x4 vs winter

reedx wrote: run winter tyres all year to save the hassle of swapping over.

Precisely.;)

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
24 Jan 2019 19:59 #201647 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic 4x4 vs winter
On my iQ that I just PX'd I had the standard 16" rims with Yokohama winter tyres and some nice 17" rims with Yokohama summer tyres on and would swap them over as the average temperatures dictated.

What has really surprised me is the Duelers fitted on the new Jimny are summer tyres even though they are marked M&S. I would have expected them to be All Season?

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds