BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Purchasing my first Jimny - would you buy this one?

• anubisgrau
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jan 2019 00:07 - 08 Jan 2019 00:13 #200151 by anubisgrau
Hello, my first post here - greetings from Belgrade where I'm trying to buy a 4x4 for my summer house on Greek island Lemnos, which is a perfect terrain for Jimny or likes. Actually I think a half of the population drives one of these!

At the moment there is a '07 M13 petrol Jimny I checked the other day at a dealer. I couldn't drive it out so all I could do is a visual inspection. What I found needs to be check at a mechanic but given that my schedule is on Wednesday, I'm wondering what are your thoughts about things that makes me not so comfortable.

In short: lots of things looks rather good except for some extremely rusty parts. engine not too bad:

scontent.fbeg2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/...bf1fbe9d&oe=5CCF7EA0

but this, a brake splitter?

scontent.fbeg2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/...82de6527&oe=5CD17A12

also a head of the steering wheel:

scontent.fbeg2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/...6a6dc7d2&oe=5CC19598

scontent.fbeg2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/...2bd6c9fb&oe=5CD03AD8

Also there is some rust underneath the chasis but not so dramatic as this here.

The car is imported from Swiss and I think it was either exposed to too much salt during snow season, or it was simply not driven for too long and forgotten on some parking, so rust evolved.

What are your thoughts, if everything else is OK with it, would you take a 2007 Jimny with so corroded parts. Especially brake splitter. How much does the new cost?

As I said the rest looks visually fine.

Btw the asking price is 4.2k GBP.

Thanks, G.

PS. I apologize for the pics links, I can't seem to find a way how to embed them...
Last edit: 08 Jan 2019 00:13 by anubisgrau.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
08 Jan 2019 05:00 #200156 by Lambert
While its not ideal having that much corrosion on brake components they could easily last a long time in a dryer environment like Greece and that would also be a simple job in a professional workshop. The bits on the exhaust cover and steering box aren't serious just a bit of surface corrosion. I think you're wise to get a local professional opinion on it though.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• anubisgrau
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jan 2019 10:39 #200165 by anubisgrau
thanks, sounds logical and reassuring.

anyone has a clue about a price of the brake splitter from the second link? just for the worst case scenario.

• anubisgrau
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jan 2019 15:13 - 09 Jan 2019 15:14 #200248 by anubisgrau
OK we brought it to a mechanic today. it ended in disaster as 4-L didn't want to disengage so he needs to deal with it, most likely a small motor failed. other things, it was crashed on front right and there are traces of welding behind the pedals. also lots of random spraying over rust underneath to look more tidy. but overall a central diff seemed to be opened/fixed earlier, there is a red sealant which is not there originally.
I pulled out from purchase and since no one could switch off 4-L it stayed with mechanic to deal with it. None of the buttons for 2, 4 and 4-L responded, it kept on beeping and flashing.
Something was seriously fishy there. Shame cause it cosmetically good and drove well on normal road, 2 and 4WD.
Last edit: 09 Jan 2019 15:14 by anubisgrau.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 Jan 2019 17:37 #200249 by Lambert
Lucky escape there then.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
09 Jan 2019 18:08 #200253 by Max Headroom
Yes I'm sure you can find something better; it does sound like things have been hidden slightly (and are now found!)

Good things come to those that wait.

To embed the pictures,after you have uploaded them with the "Attachments" button, first check where the cirsor is in your post, then then click on the button that says "Insert All"
Your pictures will then appear in your post wherever the cursor was. :)

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Attachments:

• anubisgrau
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2019 09:23 #200310 by anubisgrau
Actually this was very useful time with mechanic during inspection, I think a plenty of things I would be able to spot myself now. A good learning session. It cost me 10 EUR (about 9 GBP), well spent money! The hunt continues!

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds