BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Soon to be new 2019 owner

More
02 Jan 2019 19:30 #199911 by Hanslow
Hi all,

Quick hello from me, soon to be first Suzuki owner. I'd been pondering a Defender or Wrangler for some time but prices and theft issues stopped me ending up with either. I started then looking at a Renegade then the spy shots came out for the new Jimny and I've been keenly following it since mid-2018. I ended up putting a deposit down late November without driving or seeing one and following a test drive on 14th December agreed to go ahead with a purchase with the dealer indicating they were only getting two in, one of which happens to be in the colour and spec I was looking for.

The only other car I've had anywhere similar is a Skoda Yeti, which I found rather dull to drive and very far removed from a driving experience. I'm used to more nimble sportyish cars, but as a long as a car has character I'll enjoy the drive. Proper off-roading history for me is nil so we'll look to change that at some point but I'm certainly hoping it will be a lot more capable in the snow that we usually get than the rear wheel drive cars I've got/had which have been, errr, interesting around where we live just south of the peak district.

The dealer indicated a late January delivery date, which I'm fine with, I'm not an impatient fella and I'll enjoy getting my last few drives out of the GT86 whilst I'm waiting :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Jan 2019 19:39 #199912 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Soon to be new 2019 owner
Welcome to the forum and the best kept secret in motoring!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
02 Jan 2019 19:54 #199914 by Themooingman
Hi and welcome. Waiting for mine as well. Good choice

2019 Gen 4 Jimny SZ5 in Silky Silver. Parking sensors and Rear Camera, floor mats pack and Rigid tyre Cover

More
02 Jan 2019 22:29 #199919 by Max Headroom
Hello and Greetings from the Cotswold Hills

Blimey Hanslow - chalk and cheese with the GT86 v Jimny!
Just take it easy; the handling will be chalk 'n cheese too! :)

Stunning area that you live in B)

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

More
03 Jan 2019 12:15 - 03 Jan 2019 12:15 #199940 by Hanslow
Replied by Hanslow on topic Soon to be new 2019 owner
Thanks for the warm welcome :)

I found out on the test drive that the steering needs a bit more work with the four turns lock-to-lock compared to the two and a half that I'm used to. That's part of the fun though and will certainly be a (re)learning experience.

I've still got my project Eunos for the close to the floor stuff and it'll be nice having the transition between it and the Jimny as they'll be far more contrasting than the 86 is. At least I'll have a bit more consistency with two cars both only having five gears rather than having to mentally keep reminding myself not to lunch the gearbox by going from fifth into reverse :ohmy:

Hopefully it'll arrive before the snow otherwise I'll struggle to pick it up!
Last edit: 03 Jan 2019 12:15 by Hanslow.

More
03 Jan 2019 12:26 #199943 by Max Headroom
A good friend and colleague of mine was a huge Eunos fan owning several of them but has now switched his allegiance to the MGF.
Another guy where I work races much modified MX5s.
My own close-to-the-ground stuff is in the form of a 1970s Midget and a pre-war MG.

I know where you're coming from with the 6 v 5 gears - have found myself looking for 6th since parting with my SAAB :ohmy:

• wigit
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jan 2019 15:23 #199952 by wigit
Replied by wigit on topic Soon to be new 2019 owner
Soon to be joining the club, first Suzuki and first Japanese car i've bought. Owning one a bit sooner than expected but not disappointed.

Totally opposite experience to my other cars but I think if you have the ability to drive you can adjust your driving style accordingly.

For me drove better on the road than I thought it would and steering and body roll were not what I was expecting.

The Autocar review is the oddball one but the Sniff and Smith youtube pretty much sold me on it before as I tend to have similar tastes.

• Dorsetdumpling
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jan 2019 16:25 #200011 by Dorsetdumpling
Replied by Dorsetdumpling on topic Soon to be new 2019 owner

Hanslow wrote: Hi all,

Quick hello from me, soon to be first Suzuki owner. I'd been pondering a Defender or Wrangler for some time but prices and theft issues stopped me ending up with either. I started then looking at a Renegade then the spy shots came out for the new Jimny and I've been keenly following it since mid-2018. I ended up putting a deposit down late November without driving or seeing one and following a test drive on 14th December agreed to go ahead with a purchase with the dealer indicating they were only getting two in, one of which happens to be in the colour and spec I was looking for.

The only other car I've had anywhere similar is a Skoda Yeti, which I found rather dull to drive and very far removed from a driving experience. I'm used to more nimble sportyish cars, but as a long as a car has character I'll enjoy the drive. Proper off-roading history for me is nil so we'll look to change that at some point but I'm certainly hoping it will be a lot more capable in the snow that we usually get than the rear wheel drive cars I've got/had which have been, errr, interesting around where we live just south of the peak district.

The dealer indicated a late January delivery date, which I'm fine with, I'm not an impatient fella and I'll enjoy getting my last few drives out of the GT86 whilst I'm waiting :)

Seems to be a trend emerging!

I’m trading in my MX5, and I’m pretty sure i saw someone else saying that they’re changing from an RX8.

The MX was great fun to drive, but noisy as hell at speed and not really practical once we got our Labrador!

For use as a dogwaggon the Jimny will need to have the rear seats down most of the time, so I’ll just be switching one two seater for another!

• Tom
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jan 2019 20:47 #200069 by Tom
Replied by Tom on topic Soon to be new 2019 owner
Another MX5 (ND) owner here, I thought I would be the only one mad enough to swap it for a new Jimny! I’ve finally admitted to myself that a 2 seater isn’t practical so I have been looking for something bigger (although I didn’t think it was possible to end up with a smaller boot) but still feels special.

I drive a van for work so I had zero problems adjusting to the Jimny’s road manors so I’m very excited. I’ve missed the first batch with my dealer but I should have one around March :cheer:

More
05 Jan 2019 21:32 #200072 by Max Headroom
Hello Tom and welcome to the forums!

I've got the convertible Jimny and to be honest although it has four seats I kind of regard it as a 2 seater.... and my other two cars are two seaters!

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds