BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Undampend tyre bounce

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Jan 2019 07:16 #199867 by Lambert
Hi all. Another one of my mad questions. I have bfg urban terrain tyres they're great. Apart from the ones on Ermintrude are now about half worn which is fine and no reason in itself to change them. However I'm increasingly noticing that the side wall flex is getting worse. There's a definite undampend oscillation when stopping even at 30mph. It's not the suspension as that's as firm as a firm thing that just won the award for being firm and it's also a fairly small amplitude of oscillation so kinda has to be the tyres. Several options. Live with it. Bigger wheels and smaller tyres. New tyres same again and write them off at half worn. New slightly bigger tyres with much stronger side wall construction. Put more air in and sacrifice some of the centre tread. I have been quite focused on the bigger wheels and smaller tyres for a while but when I stop thinking like a boyracer for more than 30 seconds I remind myself that Ermintrude has to retain as much utility for farming as possible which would be defenetrestrated with a set of low profile racing slicks.

So for those who are still with me, what are the road manners like on a relatively light weight Jimny with 215,75.r15 bfg km2 or at a push ko2 and firm suspension?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2019 09:04 #199870 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Undampend tyre bounce
Thats exactly my set up Lambert.

215/75x15 BFG AT's KO2 at near enough standard height (+15mm seats) with AVO adjustables that are set pretty hard.

Drives like a go-cart in the dry months when I keep the tyre pressures at 25psi all round, backs a bit bouncy with no weight, but manageable.

Drop down to 20psi in winter and soften the dampers a few clicks, then drive like an old lady, an old lady that gets wherever she wants mind........

Best tyre I've ever driven in snow, drove around all sorts of stuff in it last year. I avoid deep mud but they have never been wanting off road either, over rock, gravel, anything that you would encounter on "normal" farm tracks.

Cost you a pint and a butty, I'll come over and let you have a blast. I have been wanting an excuse to visit a stream in Ripon where an old "tramp" taught me to trout tickle as a kid. I want to take my grandson and teach him, once I've refreshed my memory.

It'll cost you £550+ to do five but I think you'll agree they're worth it.

sniper

More
02 Jan 2019 09:20 #199874 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Undampend tyre bounce
225/75/16 KM2's run at 20psi on mine road grip not good i have very little confidence with them on wet roads
good on dry road conditions
not so good in mud they clog up.rock shale and sand can't fault them
don't think i will buy again..... after doing a p&p site following another jimny round in mud/clay conditions
He was running toyo open country MT's and suffered no mud clogging
BFG have just released KM3's i dont know if these will be any better than KM2's

• Lambert
    Registered
More
02 Jan 2019 09:23 #199875 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Undampend tyre bounce
That would be very agreeable. When were you thinking of?

More
02 Jan 2019 09:39 #199880 by sniper
Any week Monday to Wednesday, I'm lucky enough to have time in abundance. Let me know a day that suits and I'll hit Ripon in the morning and catch you at lunchtime.

Unless you want to waste an hour looking for a stream, I'll get you earlier and you can drive over to Ripon and we'll lunch there.

As you choose sir...

sniper

• Lambert
    Registered
More
02 Jan 2019 09:48 #199882 by Lambert
Wednesday afternoons are good. Next week? Meet you in the market place just after 1?

More
02 Jan 2019 09:49 #199883 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Undampend tyre bounce
Have a play with tyre pressures and compression rates if you have adjustable dampers. It sounds like a very subtle change. I very much doubt the properties of the tyre have changed significantly as they wear down. Swapping fronts to rear might be a worthwhile control measure.
Also, don't assume that stiffer=better. You may find that lower pressures or damping rates are needed. There's always a temptation to stiffen things up in the search for performance, which often means you completely overload another part of the chassis.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
02 Jan 2019 09:50 #199884 by Lambert
Km3 don't currently come small enough and km2 being a handful in the wet isn't encouraging.

More
02 Jan 2019 09:56 #199885 by sniper
Next Wednesday at 1pm is good for me. I'll PM my phone number.

Can you confirm meet at, my co driver confuses me if I ask it to do anything other than go to a post code...

sniper

• Lambert
    Registered
More
02 Jan 2019 10:03 #199886 by Lambert
The trailmaster aren't adjustable mores the pity and using the formula for working back the exact tyre pressure from the maximum load at x pressure on the side of the tyres 23 front and 26 rear is allegedly spot on. There's definitely something that has settled in the tyre wall though because Zebedee has the same tyres at the same pressure but 2 years newer with a quarter of the mileage and those tyres don't have anything like the bulge in the loaded bit of the side wall.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
02 Jan 2019 10:57 #199890 by Lambert
All bets might be off. Just spotted that the sexiest tyre ever made is available in 215 75, kl71s come to daddy!

More
02 Jan 2019 11:55 #199891 by sniper
The Kumho was a serious contender when I was considering tyres.

Very well reviewed but if I remember, wear rate was quite high. That and familiarity with the old BFG AT swayed me.

sniper

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds