BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

To lift, or not to lift...

More
03 Jan 2019 17:42 #199961 by furo
Replied by furo on topic To lift, or not to lift...
Yes as Lambert said it leant to the drivers side front, but that was easily fixed with a spacer.

I think soft springs are best off road, stiff ones are more for heavy vehicles or towing. Soft springs seem to articulate more readily.

2004 Jimny Mode: General Grabber AT3s (215/75/R15); Trailmaster 2" Lift; Jimnybits Snorkel; Jimnybits Front and Rear Recovery Points; Suntop Roof Rack; AVM Manual Hubs; Stainless Steel Exhaust System (SOLD)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jan 2019 17:43 - 03 Jan 2019 17:52 #199962 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic To lift, or not to lift...
I'm fairly sure both trailmaster kits use the same springs, and comfort and sport refers to the dampers. For off-road, you want the softest springs possible. For low speed/comfort you want softer dampers, and for high speed/sporty driving you want stiffer dampers. Neither type of damper will affect the spring travel in slow off-road situations of the sag under heavy loads. It is the springs that carry the weight of the car.

With regard to towing, surely if the nose weight is correct it doesn't matter how much the trailer weighs? I've certainly never felt the standard springs and dampers were inadequate for the 1300kg rated towing capacity, although I do have heavier duty springs on the back now.
Last edit: 03 Jan 2019 17:52 by Busta.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Jan 2019 18:06 #199968 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic To lift, or not to lift...
The difference between my 2 with the same trailer is quite noticeable Ermintrude being stiffer is much less affected by the tandem axle trailer than ever Zebedee is, he is obviously being thrown about more to the point where passengers notice the difference. Ermintrude while obviously towing a trailer doesn't pitch nearly as much.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
03 Jan 2019 18:27 #199973 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic To lift, or not to lift...
I guess I've never had the luxury of a back to back comparison! What shocks do you have on the 'sporty' one?

• rappey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jan 2019 18:58 #199978 by rappey
Replied by rappey on topic To lift, or not to lift...
A 2" lift is to accommodate larger tyres due to the landrover idiots putter ever larger tyres on and making the ruts impassable for stock 4x4,s.
I have pro comp, and they are horrible.. Far to hard.. doesn't seem to hinder articulation but harsh ride, zero body lean round corners though and great high speed stability.
Here is the 2" lift plus the extra lift from larger tyres
Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Jan 2019 19:08 - 03 Jan 2019 19:12 #199979 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic To lift, or not to lift...

Busta wrote: I guess I've never had the luxury of a back to back comparison! What shocks do you have on the 'sporty' one?

Trailmaster on Ermintrude and bog standard on Zebedee. That said the trailmaster have about half the miles on them than the factory ones but Ermintrude has 3 times the mileage of Zebedee.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Last edit: 03 Jan 2019 19:12 by Lambert. Reason: Adding information

• Caelite
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 May 2019 21:39 #209095 by Caelite
Replied by Caelite on topic To lift, or not to lift...
Does anyone know if the Jimny bits springs lean? I'd imagine being UK based they might have set there springs up to account for it, or would that be wishful thinking?

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
28 May 2019 06:25 #209106 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Re:To lift, or not to lift...
They are different lengths, so I presume they are setup to handle it (at least the 4” jimnybits ones I have are, longest on front driver side, shorter on passenger. Rears are the same as each other)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds