BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny/Young Family

More
22 Dec 2018 18:27 #199321 by furo
Jimny/Young Family was created by furo
Hi folks,

I'm hoping to start a family fairly soon and I'm really interested to hear about people's experiences of the Jimny as a small family car. My current 2004 2-seater will clearly have to go, but I'm hopeful that I'll be able to replace it with a 2019 model.

Clearly the Jimny isn't an ideal family car but I'm willing to sacrifice a fair bit of practicality so I can continue to own one. I'd really appreciate hearing your experiences on this topic.

Many thanks!

2004 Jimny Mode: General Grabber AT3s (215/75/R15); Trailmaster 2" Lift; Jimnybits Snorkel; Jimnybits Front and Rear Recovery Points; Suntop Roof Rack; AVM Manual Hubs; Stainless Steel Exhaust System (SOLD)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Dec 2018 18:47 #199322 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Jimny/Young Family
You will need a trailer or roof box with all the stuff that comes along with a little one ;)
Even going shopping with a baby and pram certainly eats all the space in a medium size car, there won't be much room in the jimny :D

• paradox1001
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Dec 2018 18:48 #199323 by paradox1001
Replied by paradox1001 on topic Re:Jimny/Young Family
I don’t think you will fit a push chair in the boot

More
23 Dec 2018 01:30 - 23 Dec 2018 01:32 #199336 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Re:Jimny/Young Family
Yes! I'd have thought you'd easily get a pushchair in the boot - but if it goes in there wont be room for much else!
I just wouldn't entertain it with a convertible Jimny; its unbelievably impractical!

Personally If I was going though parenthood again I'd be looking at smallish four-door cars for carrying a little person in the back - easier and safer (faster) access to them.
Mine is the voice of experience - we had a Daewoo Matiz when Max Junior arrived. We could get his pushcair in the boot - just! But it was far too small-a- car for safety and practacal purposes even though it was four door, so we swapped it for a Vauxhall Meriva which served us very well in the end. The Vauxhall was about the right size for a kiddy and all the paraphernalia that goes with the bundle of joy.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 23 Dec 2018 01:32 by Max Headroom.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
23 Dec 2018 06:46 #199338 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Jimny/Young Family
I don't have kids so I only speak from my observations of others. For the majority of my friends in Harrogate it seems to be necessary for a parent fo have an suv of discovery size full to the gunwales with every single contraption and gadget Mothercare has on sale each and every time they leave the house. By contrast my relatives and others in Bradford manage perfectly adequately to raise their children with a pushchair that compresses to the size of a camp chair in a bag and one medium backpack for a few changes and a feed. I would therefore contend that a Jimny is a perfectly good family hatchback if used with consideration to it's size.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Daz3031
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Dec 2018 07:28 #199339 by Daz3031
Replied by Daz3031 on topic Jimny/Young Family
I have a 2 and a half year old and the Jimny would have sacrificed too much practicality if it was our only car when he was a baby. Whilst it would fit a small umbrella push chair in the boot, it wouldn't fit a pram or travel system which you would probably be using for the first few months - you can't put a new born baby in a push chair. Additionally I would recommend having rear doors to make it easier to get them into their car seat.

I previously had a 5 door golf r which was fine 95% of the time but even that was a struggle when we went away on holiday or were visiting family overnight. You don't realise how much stuff one little person needs until you have one and try to go away - push chair, travel cot, steriliser, nappies, 42 changes of clothes.....

The golf was replaced with a Skoda Superb estate which we could almost live in! It's boot with the seats up is about double the size of a Jimny boot with the seats down.

More
23 Dec 2018 08:41 #199340 by adrianr
Replied by adrianr on topic Jimny/Young Family
Some observations when my 2 were younger.

Looking back with the eyes of experience I would get a 4 door car or an estate with a good-sized boot, and an interior that is easy to clean. Getting the little ones in and out of the car seat(s) and getting the car seat(s) in and out is so much easier. Whilst you may find that you can get away with a small fold up pushchair as they get older, in the early stages and being a new parent you may tend to have all sorts of gubbins to lug around. Food, liquids and bodily fluids will find there way into all sorts of places in the car so the easier it is to clean the better it is for you.

I would find something strong and SAFE, cheap to run, practical, reliable and entertaining to drive if possible. Your new family will take much of your time, and your financial resources. You don't need the car being another drain on resources or time.

I have been driving for nearly 40 years now and have had many different makes and models of car. Over time I have experienced certain cars are practical, functional, reliable, easy on the pocket and entertaining to drive, and some are not. I happen like VW and more recently have become a big fan of Skoda. For a family, I think the Octavia is hard to beat.

Good luck with your choice and more importantly good luck with the new family.
The following user(s) said Thank You: furo

More
23 Dec 2018 15:01 #199344 by furo
Replied by furo on topic Jimny/Young Family
Thank you very much for your replies everyone. I think I'll get something sensible (Subaru XV?) and if finances allow I might hold onto my 2004 as a toy. Thanks again!

2004 Jimny Mode: General Grabber AT3s (215/75/R15); Trailmaster 2" Lift; Jimnybits Snorkel; Jimnybits Front and Rear Recovery Points; Suntop Roof Rack; AVM Manual Hubs; Stainless Steel Exhaust System (SOLD)

More
23 Dec 2018 15:40 #199346 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Jimny/Young Family
Subaru XV - very nice; and looks like it would be a good choice size-wise.
A good friend of mine has a Subaru Forrester and swears by it - he's a very wealthy chap and has owned many cars he regarded as much more 'prestige and upmarket' but told me he thinks that the quality of the Subaru beats the others in many respects.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Dec 2018 17:07 #199348 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Jimny/Young Family
Sounds like a good plan :)

More
25 Dec 2018 13:19 #199430 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Jimny/Young Family
Having a VW T5 long wheel base as my other car i might not be the correct one to comment this.. We had a real problem when the VW broke down on a trip, and the insurance company offered us a Nissan Micra. We had brought our two dogs (100kg) and two horses. You cannot pull a horse trailer or fit the dogs in the boot of a Micra.

But I have a Jimny now, and had a high roof SJ413 when the girls where born. (Now they are 15 and 18)
he SJ was space wisw pretty much the same car as the Jimny.. You will need a spleit foldable rear seat that folds all down to a flat surface. then you can use half the space for a pram/push chair or other for the seat for the todler.. Not sure if modern seats are safe for a new born.

As a second car for picking up kids to and from Kindergarten, going shopping or small trips We managed fine with the SJ/Jimny. The real problem occurs when they get older and complain about the Jimny not having rear doors.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
25 Dec 2018 18:22 - 25 Dec 2018 18:23 #199436 by Foxtrot
Replied by Foxtrot on topic Jimny/Young Family
We always had small cars whilst the two girls grew up, the original mini, two mini metros and then the Jimnys. When we had the first Jimny in 2000 the girls were 15 and 18 so we mainly had the 15 year old with us. We got by with putting one seat down and using soft bags to fit all the nook and crannies when going on holiday. If you have one child you will be ok, however if you have twins it's going to be a struggle and no room for a pram...:)
Last edit: 25 Dec 2018 18:23 by Foxtrot.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds