BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Stuck in 4wd

More
28 Dec 2018 19:36 - 28 Dec 2018 19:39 #199583 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Re:Stuck in 4wd
Fantastic that you found that to be 'just' a wiring snag - how much was that to get fixed?

Could the ful leak be linked to the stuttering that you describe?

Where exactly does the leak appear to be?

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 28 Dec 2018 19:39 by Max Headroom.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mattch5150
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Dec 2018 19:42 #199585 by Mattch5150
Replied by Mattch5150 on topic Re:Stuck in 4wd
I don't know but we are running out of trial and error ideas. It's the most unreliable car I've ever had, and in the last 25 years I've owned about 23 at least. Cant carry on at this rate it's a joke.. it literally is money for nothing. May fix what we can and sell it for almost nothing as that's all its worth

• Mattch5150
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Dec 2018 19:44 #199586 by Mattch5150
When tank is full it leaks in front if the rest wheel, tank side, when not full it does not leak

• Mattch5150
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Dec 2018 19:51 #199587 by Mattch5150
The problem I have is there are so many problems, it could be this it could be that the moment one problem is solved or even not ,another one appears. The car is a hulk of rust, and engine, suspension problems. I know it's 13 years old but it cannott and it's design hardly be seen as reliable and strong. As it stands my partner can sell it for maybe £1000, if that. We need something more than a standard car as we live in the middle of nowhere. I grant that it is no one's fault on here, but the reliability claims do not seem to stack up, not in engine, nor suspension or pretty much any other area, even fuel tank. Sorry to be so negative but its really diffhcult not to be!

• Mattch5150
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Dec 2018 19:53 #199589 by Mattch5150
And sorry for all spelling mistakes

More
28 Dec 2018 20:20 #199592 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Re:Stuck in 4wd
After a run, and removing the fuel filler cap, do you hear a hiss of air pressure as the cap is removed or is it totally silent?

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

More
29 Dec 2018 08:12 #199604 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Re:Stuck in 4wd
Still stand by my original comment that it sounds like your love for this vehicle has gone and you should sell it and get something else. Its a car, they will go wrong, if you hate it every fault will just wind you up further.
Plenty of good modern vehicles to choose from, but avoid Land Rover and small TDIed engine VWs (I owned both, very expensive to fix).
RAV 4s pre 2000 have a reasonable reliability record, may even be better on rust issues, so possible cheap secondhand option. Newish maybe VW Yeti in 4x4 option?
You need to decide whats best for you and your circumstances , as you say you cant keep throwing money at a rusty unreliable Jimny if that is the case.
Good luck whatever you decide, but I hope you keep it.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Mattch5150
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Dec 2018 08:27 #199606 by Mattch5150
It is silent, no hiss

More
29 Dec 2018 11:32 #199618 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Re:Stuck in 4wd
Fuel leak could be the hose connection from the flap
under the rear arch is a plastic cover pop the clips off and take a look

• Mattch5150
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Dec 2018 15:10 #199637 by Mattch5150
Took flap off, I think it is leaking where the pipe comes out of the tank, the pipe with the large jubilee clip on. Plastic studs on flap were toast so cable tied it Back on!. Only leaks when full

• Mattch5150
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Dec 2018 15:47 #199639 by Mattch5150
Replied by Mattch5150 on topic Stuck in 4wd
Put new spark plugs i in today, just bosch nickel ones. The plugs that were in were all in very loose, almost not screwed in at all. 3 plugs the same and one different. Running fine at the moment and my stutter seems to have gone. Btw have posted a pic of the offending jimny as don't think I have before!
Attachments:

More
29 Dec 2018 17:52 #199667 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Stuck in 4wd
Sounds to me like you've just been very unlucky and bought Britain's worst kept Jimny!

I've never heard of the fuel leak issue before, nor broken wires to the transfer case. If the front wheel bearings were gone that would be another cause of the front hubs not working.

Loose spark plugs is entirely the fault of the person that fitted them, again not a reliability issue with the Jimny.

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds