BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Stuck in 4wd

More
16 Dec 2018 17:44 #199077 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Stuck in 4wd
Not Hex!

They are E10 Torx

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mattch5150

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mattch5150
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Dec 2018 17:52 #199078 by Mattch5150
Replied by Mattch5150 on topic Re:Stuck in 4wd
Yes it has vaccum hubs. The metal connector was fractured . When i checked yesterday it was not hanging down. I wonder if the vacuum locked the hubs in , then split from the pressure etc. It's definitely in 4wd. The push buttons do nothing and the 4wd light just flashes all the time.

More
16 Dec 2018 17:56 #199079 by Jezz
Replied by Jezz on topic Stuck in 4wd
Try jacking each front wheel one at a time and spinning it. As this points more to the transfer box switch fault.

It's been fettled just a tad.

• Mattch5150
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Dec 2018 18:41 #199081 by Mattch5150
Replied by Mattch5150 on topic Stuck in 4wd
Just hope it can be sorted. My girlfriend is a pet sitter and has had to cancel all business. It's a nightmare.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
16 Dec 2018 19:10 #199084 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Stuck in 4wd
I would think its worth trying to short out the vac system and see if you can get the t-box to shift then.

Easy to do.

The vac manifold is below the battery. there is a pair of white wires going into a sensor from the wiring loom on it. unplug this connector, short the two pins.

Try running the engine, then pushing the buttons to swap around the t-box options. clutch needs to be pressed in for 4L.

This shorting trick isolates the vac hub system from the rest of it, allowing you to diagnose if the fault is with the transfer box or the vac hub system. I would bet that its the hubs causing the problem. I believe its necessary for the 4x4 controller to see a closed signal from the vac hub system before it will allow the transfer box to do any swapping of modes. This shorting of wires 'fools' the 4x4 controller into believing the hubs have done as asked, and will then try to move the transfer box as desired.

hope that helps explain how it works :-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• Mattch5150
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Dec 2018 19:14 #199085 by Mattch5150
I will try this. Is this the sensor near the tiny air filter. How do I short it, just put a word over both connectors or something. Thanks again!

• Mattch5150
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Dec 2018 19:15 #199086 by Mattch5150
A wire I meant

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
16 Dec 2018 19:21 #199087 by Riccy
There is a plug/socket thing. unplug and hold a wire between the two terminals in the part connected to the wiring loom (not to the part with the blue air filter on it). This is fooling the 4x4 ECU into thinking it has achieved a vacuum, thus allowing the transfer box to operate (hopefully).

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

• Mattch5150
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Dec 2018 19:25 #199088 by Mattch5150
The blue filter goes to a connector and the connector to the loom. Just short the loom side then. Will give it a try. If it works what does it say is the problem is?Thanks so much

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
16 Dec 2018 19:32 #199089 by Riccy
You mentioned you had a leaking vac pipe near the axle somewhere? this will be the problem ( a leak on the vac system), if this test works and allows the transfer box to shift as desired.

the answer is to fit manual hubs and leave the wiring bypassed as above. easiest and most reliable thing to do ;-)

• Mattch5150
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Dec 2018 19:36 #199090 by Mattch5150
Yes the top pipe on passenger side front wheel was disconnected. I've reconnected it with a plastic hollow t piece as metal one rotten but it has not helped with anything. When pressing the 4wd button originally I heard the hubs click in but light just kept flashing and now it stuck.

• Mattch5150
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Dec 2018 20:18 #199092 by Mattch5150
So far on the jimny I've put in a new radiator, changed alternator and ps belts, changed difff oil and serviced it but this is the most difficult bit so far by a long way, I'm not great with wires . When its running well it is an awesome vehicle though . I have no electrical knowledge apart from using dialysis machines and life support equioment lik ventilators etc!

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds