BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Allgrip spinng wheel method of 2019 Jimny..

• Crumbs
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Nov 2018 16:54 #198446 by Crumbs
I am confused.

According to the globalsuzuki.com Jimny site the allgrip overview states:-

Traction Control
If two wheels diagonal from each other lose grip while you’re travelling over slippery surfaces, this feature is designed to automatically brake the slipping wheels and redistribute torque to the other two wheels, allowing the Jimny to make its escape.

That seems to indicate that you need to have two diagonal wheels spinning for the selective braking on both spinning wheels to occur.

That does not seem to resolve the one weakness of the third generation Jimny's. If both wheels on the same side were spinning you were going nowhere without a winch or a tow.

Is my interpretation correct?

It seems a little silly to brake a wheel on the other axle.

Should it not work like this?

One wheel spins then brake that wheel to transfer the torque to the other wheel in the same axle.

If while the first braking is active, another wheel is spinning on the other axle then you should be braking the new spinning wheel to transfer the torque to the other wheel on the same axle.

Do I need to buy a locker ready for the snow?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JustCallMeRick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Nov 2018 17:10 #198448 by JustCallMeRick
Replied by JustCallMeRick on topic Allgrip spinng wheel method od 2019 Jimny..
If im correct it also has a rear lsd.
So the rear axle should always some power going to the wheel with the most grip.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
30 Nov 2018 19:14 #198453 by Riccy
I think the LSD is an option rather than a standard feature possibly?

The videos Ive seen all seem to show it being able to brake any spinning wheel and keep going, much as any similar traction control system on modern rangerovers and landcruisers. I would expect not to 'need' a locker unless you are planning on huge wheels and lots of mods, it doesnt look like they struggle with anything as long as it fits under the bumper basically :laugh:

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
01 Dec 2018 12:47 #198471 by Gadget
It doesn't come with a LSD, although there's one shown in the accessories catalogue.

I believe you're correct, if one wheel on an axle has zero traction, it will be braked to send torque to the wheel with traction. I think the statement on the global site is just poorly worded and is trying to highlight a worst-case scenario, where you've been double-cross-axled and it will torque shift at both front and rear.

Obviously the ability to do this on the front axle is dependent on the car being in 4H or 4L!

• Crumbs
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Dec 2018 12:52 #198472 by Crumbs
Replied by Crumbs on topic Allgrip spinng wheel method od 2019 Jimny..
Hi Riccy.

It may be just a poor translation from the Japanese.

Last winter I was driving on packed snow in my 3rd generation Jimny when I had to pull over and stop putting two left hand wheels on the fresh snow.

This was to allow a car to pass.

The slight difference in the left right friction was enough to allow both right hand wheels to spin and I was going nowhere.

I hope that the traction control will prove to work the way I have detailed when the new Jimmy's which are rusting quietly away on Grimsby's dock are finally sent to dealers. Two months a few yards from the salt laden North Sea will do them a power of good.

• Crumbs
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Dec 2018 13:11 #198473 by Crumbs
Hi Gadget.

Thanks for the sanity check.

I hope that it will brake the spinning wheel even if there is only one wheel spinning.

If two wheels are spinning brake both spinners.

• Crumbs
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Dec 2018 14:47 #198476 by Crumbs
Hi Gadget.

Can you give me the link to the accessories catalogue you mention please?

Thank you.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
01 Dec 2018 17:28 #198485 by Riccy
You can sort of simulate a rear locker in a standard current jimny by gently applying the hand brake, which might have been enough to get you out of the snow that day ;-)

the only really practical option for a proper selectable locker is the ARB's at nearly £1000 a end, plus the compressor, switches, fitting, HD shafts, etc. I believe Yakuza has just fitted some of the chinese copy of the ARBs and is happy with them, but dont know how much cheaper they are.

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

• Crumbs
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Dec 2018 17:57 #198488 by Crumbs
Hi Riccy.

Someone, I believe on this forum, sawed his hand brake leaver right down the middle and one half operated the left rear brake and the other half the right rear brake. An excellent solution. He could operate both rear brakes together or individually.

Technology took its time to provide a solution which was extremely costly and very complex and yet does exactly the same job.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
01 Dec 2018 18:31 #198490 by Riccy
Have a search on 'fiddle' brakes. Its not exactly sawing the lever in two, but works in much the same way. Oldskool tractors have two brake pedals, one for each rear side, or both for a brown trouser stop :laugh:.

It would be possible to fit a second 'lever' near the handbrake that worked left to right to brake the rear wheels as desired. The handbrake cable splits about where the cup holder is to each side :whistle:

• Crumbs
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Dec 2018 19:01 #198493 by Crumbs
Three gear levers may confuse the MOT tester.

My MOT tester was confused by the button pressing to work the transfer box on my generation 3 Jimny.

Didn't want to test the rolling road braking in 4WD.

Yes I know there are little lights but he thought it might be was front wheel drive!

More
01 Dec 2018 19:01 #198494 by sniper
The Quaife ATB differential is supposed to work very well with these electronic brake traction systems. I remember reading about them when I got my diff. Seamless control and and less judder when in use, if I remember correctly.

Riccy, I remember jack using his hand brake to force a bit of traction across the axle, when we were climbing that goat trail in the lakes...

sniper

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds