BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Oily brake and butchered axle level plug

More
21 Nov 2018 16:55 #197927 by RogersJimmy
'Evening All,

I have just bought my first Jimny, a 2001 model. Just love it!! However, the offside rear brake is contaminated with axle oil and I find that someone has well and truly butchered the level/filler plug so it can't be removed. I have even resorted to trying a cold chisel in the indentations left by the butcher, but to no avail.

So, my questions are:

1. Before I resort to extreme methods to remove the plug (like welding on a nut or a bar), has anyone else experienced this and got any helpful removal suggestions?

2. Presumably there is an oil seal behind the hub that can be replaced quite easily?? But I am wondering if there is a breather that might have become blocked and this has caused the oil to be forced past the seal. There is a cylindrical fitting about 15mm diameter on the nearside top of the diff casing - is this a breather - if so, (before I break it!), what is the procedure for servicing it?

All advice gratefully received, so thanks in advance,
Roger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Nov 2018 17:24 #197928 by jackonlyjack
Can you grab the filler plug with some mole grips
Breather servicenot heard of one I'd say 1/8 BSP tap down the hole and a 6 mm pneumatic push fit right angle 1/8 BSP thread other side suitable pipe up under bonnet
Yes oil seal in axle end buy from bigjimny shop
The following user(s) said Thank You: RogersJimmy

More
21 Nov 2018 23:25 #197964 by Delux
I mig welded an old socket to it then slackened it while it was still hot.

New plugs available in bigjimny shop!

Busiest Mechanic in Scotland!
My pics (inc. pics of my latest Jimny project)...
www.flickr.com/photos/159422664@N08/albums
My ebay stuff for sale...
www.ebay.co.uk/usr/deeelux

More
22 Nov 2018 06:26 #197971 by kirkynut
Mole grips on the filler plug with a bit of action from a hammer. New ones from the Big Jimny shop as stated.

I've had nuts welded to mine for easy removal in the future.

The likelihood is you need a new wheel bearing and that's why the axle oil seal has failed. Again, all available from the Big Jimny shop at the cheapest price you'll find it, so just order all you need from there.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
23 Nov 2018 08:13 #198039 by Busta
There is a driveshaft seal in the axle tube, just behind the swivel. When the king pin bearings or wheel bearings wear they allow the drive shaft to move up and down, which pushes against the seal and causes it to leak.

Not a hard job to fix, and most of the bits you need are a standard size available from the BigJimny shop or any bearing suppliers.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
23 Nov 2018 09:09 #198041 by Lambert
Rear axle.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Busta

More
23 Nov 2018 17:21 #198058 by RogersJimmy
Many thanks for all the useful replies. I have made the following progress with my rear axle problems which has raised a few more questions:

LEVEL/FILLER PLUG. I have managed to remove it by grinding a slot across it, heating it up and applying a drift and club hammer to the slot. Then oil poured out (of the filler plug), which I collected and measured. It had been overfilled by1 pint. As this is the rear axle, I think it should hold 2.3 pints and mine had 3.3 in it. I reckon this was a big contributor to the oily offside brake as the oil level would have been well above the axle tubes - what do you guys think?

I shall renew the oil seal anyway, and inspect the wheel bearing which doesn't seem worn (but I haven't got it out yet).

Another question is, how did anyone overfill it? Not using the seized level plug, that's for sure. Maybe down the breather using one of those squeezy bottles with a tube that Castrol used to sell axle oil in? And, of course, why overfill it without draining the old oil first?

BREATHER. Very rusty but I twisted the cap off with Mole grips. At first I thought it was empty, but then I found a VERY light spring and a rubber disc, both of which were stuck up at the closed end of the cap. Questions: how should the cap be secured, and what are your views on what I found inside? Is there any info on the internet on these breathers?

I have read about the extended breather idea, and wonder if these use one of these flap valves or are just open to atmosphere?

I have yet to look at the front axle, and rather dread what I may find the bodging butcher might have been up to there!

Thanks in advance,
Roger

• Cremator1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Nov 2018 17:25 #198059 by Cremator1
Replied by Cremator1 on topic Oily brake and butchered axle level plug
How could they over fill it if when refilling you wait for it to dribble out of the filler hole or am I wrong

• Lambert
    Registered
More
23 Nov 2018 18:40 #198064 by Lambert
Over filling is easy if the axle is not level. Common sense is not that common!

More
23 Nov 2018 19:40 #198067 by facade
The rear axle does take a fair amount more than the book claims, I had to buy another bottle of oil when I changed front & back.
If you jack the chassis up then as the suspension drops the filler hole points down.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
23 Nov 2018 20:05 #198072 by RogersJimmy
The correct way to check level and fill is with the car level on all 4 wheels. In this position a pint of oil ran out of the filler hole. So overfilled for sure, but how??

Looking forward to response or my other quandaries.

Cheers guys.

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
More
23 Nov 2018 20:21 #198073 by Lambert
Like I said, if the axle wasn't level when the oil was put in its not difficult to over fill it. Its the same principle that allows you to change the front king pin bearing sets on one side at a time without all the oil draining away as you remove the half shaft.

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds