BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Old Jimny residuals

More
18 Nov 2018 11:49 #197749 by Busta
Old Jimny residuals was created by Busta
So as the new Jimny is soon to be available it's got me thinking how it might affect the residuals of the outgoing model.
Given the new one has received such a positive response, and yet in many ways it is very similar to the Jimny we all know and love, and availability of the new car is looking to be limited, I wonder whether it may even increase the residual values of the outgoing model?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Nov 2018 12:45 - 18 Nov 2018 12:56 #197752 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Old Jimny residuals
Residuals are up at the moment, as Winter is coming, and everyone desperately needs a 4x4.

I'm not sure who is ordering the new one, Suzuki were hard pushed to shift the old one, and there aren't many of our forum here in the UK who have placed pre-orders for an unknown price and delivery.

I'm hoping that Suzuki fall for the current blip and ramp up the UK vehicle stocks, so they end up with some unsold, as well as a glut of second hand ones when the new owners discover that they don't go/ride/handle like an Audi, then next year I might be able to buy a new one with manufacturer "incentives". B)

It strikes me that Suzuki can charge a premium (like £20,000- a lot of car "sales" now are PCP and it is only the monthlies that matter) in the short term for the new shape if they keep the availability scarce (whatever happened to the £7000 they were going to be in India?)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 18 Nov 2018 12:56 by facade.

More
18 Nov 2018 13:16 - 18 Nov 2018 13:20 #197754 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Old Jimny residuals
Facade's first sentence may talk a lot to the question from a global market perspective. Demand in winter. I only know that here in the Philippines (we have no winter), I can buy a brand new Jimny (the first year here with VVT, ABS and airbags) for a little less than I bought my Jimny new in 2015 (none of the features listed). In spite of that, I have to say that people here are revolting at the estimated price of the new model. That may keep the price very stable for the current model..... maybe increase it.

I try not to read between the lines of somebody's comments but one important thing that Facade also touched on is the new model performance. When people realize that this new model is simply a current model with a new body and a slightly more powerful engine, without any better off-road performance, there may be a greater attraction to the current model. That would also help keep the used value higher.

My opinion only.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
Last edit: 18 Nov 2018 13:20 by zukebob.

More
18 Nov 2018 16:30 - 18 Nov 2018 16:32 #197759 by jimkyx
Replied by jimkyx on topic Old Jimny residuals
I am with you!
Seems to me the new Jimmy has the same running gear and body platform as the current one with a different engine and updated SJ panels and is also over priced. "My opinion".
Last edit: 18 Nov 2018 16:32 by jimkyx .

More
18 Nov 2018 19:00 #197763 by Bill Portland
The weak pound will have a significant effect on any imported product's price, not much that suzuki can do about that. Will probably have a knock on effect of helping to hold prices of used units.

They seem to have done a lot to bring it into the 21st century with the toys that you'd expect on a modern car, whilst keeping its off road capabilities, and with a stronger engine to boot.

Sent from my Lenovo YB1-X90F using Tapatalk

More
18 Nov 2018 19:55 #197766 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Re:Old Jimny residuals
Returning to the "SJ" formula is a good thing IMHO and more tempting than the present Jimny but I bought my Celerio for reasons of cheapness and I worry about the pricing of the little Jimny especially in the face of other Suzuki cars like the Swift.. I can honestly say the Celerio is a superb car and for a 3 pot it is amazing and a marvellous performer. Would I give it up for a new Jimny, very very unlikely; I could not justify the cost for a similarly small car like the Celerio is.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
18 Nov 2018 23:13 #197776 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Re:Old Jimny residuals

helijohn wrote: Returning to the "SJ" formula is a good thing IMHO and more tempting than the present Jimny

How do you mean? Aside from the looks perhaps, I don't think the new Jimny has any more in common with the SJ than the previous Jimny did.

And as usual I'm not sure of the relevance of your comments regarding the Celerio. The only thing it has in common with the Jimny is the badge. I don't think there is much risk of potential Jimny owners being tempted away by one.

More
19 Nov 2018 00:09 #197779 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Re:Old Jimny residuals

Busta wrote:
And as usual I'm not sure of the relevance of your comments regarding the Celerio. .

As usual?? What does that mean?
I was referring to the cost. Does that help?

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
19 Nov 2018 05:27 #197780 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Old Jimny residuals
The thing is that a Jimny however much they want to charge for it is never going to be in the same cost bracket as a Rubicon or a G63 they may be more than the outgoing model but they are still ridiculously cheap compared to the direct mechanically similar competition. How the new pricing affects residual values of older ones is something of a moot point given the seasonal timing of the launch, in temperate climates it's either the beginning of the worse weather or the beginning of the recreational season so there is going to be a spike in demand anyway. Also it's not as if a Jimny is ever going to be an appreciating asset like a Ferrari 4cam so what does it really matter?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
19 Nov 2018 08:15 #197782 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Re:Old Jimny residuals

helijohn wrote: As usual?? What does that mean?
I was referring to the cost. Does that help?

We hear a lot about your Celerio but I've never quite seen the relevance. I have a C1, which is a very similar car to the Celerio, but I don't feel the need to mention it on this Jimny forum at all. The reason such simple little cars are cheaper than a 4x4 with a bigger engine, ladders chassis, live axles and a transfer case is fairly obvious. I don't believe they are comparable in any way.

More
19 Nov 2018 08:25 #197784 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Old Jimny residuals
Lambert, I agree. I do not think the purchase price of the new car is a hindrance in any way given where it sits relative to its competitors. I was thinking more of how the relatively high levels of hype but limited availability might make people look back at the older model with a fresh set of eyes. It strikes me as the main difference between the old and new Jimny is the way they have been marketed. Suzuki barely made any mention of the old cars true abilities off-road, but the new one is being marketed as a serious off-roader for professionals (something that we knew all along!). That's quite a change and will surely cast some more positive light on the old model, perhaps opening up the market for used cars to a wider audience.

Regards depreciation, I'm typically buying at the bottom of the curve on any car, but I've only lost money on one Jimny I owned and that was because I ran it into the ground and it was rotten. The others have all been sold for a profit or, in the case of my current car, cost so much less than market value it will be a long time before it starts to depreciate. The seaonal variation in price makes it very easy to make money on these cars.

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds