BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

After market steering wheels?

• mresowik
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Oct 2018 10:16 #196701 by mresowik
After market steering wheels? was created by mresowik
Morning All,

My 03 Jimny steering wheel is getting a bit tired looking and starting to wear away. Has anyone changed their steering wheel to something aftermarket or for something a bit nicer than the standard grey wheel. Or does anyone have any ideas on how to spruce up the old wheel.

All the best.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Oct 2018 13:36 #196708 by kirkynut
We are limited in the UK as we have to keep our air bag steering wheels for our annual inspection - the MOT test.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
12 Oct 2018 17:29 #196711 by Lambert
I have done a paracord wrap on mine round the rim, makes the wheel much fatter and nicer to hold.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
12 Oct 2018 18:33 #196713 by helijohn
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

mresowik wrote: Morning All,

My 03 Jimny steering wheel is getting a bit tired looking and starting to wear away. Has anyone changed their steering wheel to something aftermarket or for something a bit nicer than the standard grey wheel. Or does anyone have any ideas on how to spruce up the old wheel.

All the best.

I fitted one of these - I like the thicker feel it gives to the steering wheel; it's an added bonus.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
13 Oct 2018 00:51 #196726 by zukebob
APIO has replacements (if you can find them)

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
Attachments:

• ChrisW
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Oct 2018 16:10 #196793 by ChrisW
Replied by ChrisW on topic After market steering wheels?
I do wonder if the Swift wheel would fit. Or more likely if the Jimny airbag would fit into the wheel.

Would be a bit of a pain, but could wire up the buttons on the wheel to a stereo as well

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Oct 2018 18:06 #196794 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic After market steering wheels?
I checked the link helijohn posted and typed the details of the car in and it said does not fit the car?

More
15 Oct 2018 18:29 #196797 by helijohn

mickt wrote: I checked the link helijohn posted and typed the details of the car in and it said does not fit the car?

When I buy these things I go by the size. Sometimes I have ask them for the diameter. The list of vehicles is something I ignore generally as it is a waste of time. It can take a bit of searching through listings to find what you want.

More
15 Oct 2018 22:53 - 16 Oct 2018 11:11 #196804 by Max Headroom
Hello mresowik

As already mentioned here, cord wrapping a steering wheel is a possibility.
Most folk use modern 'para' cord these days, and do a fancy knot making it look like a piece of Macrame art. Theres a good illustration of the method HERE...

However cord-binding a steering wheel is nothing very new; I'm involved with vintage sports cars and this practice was commonly done in the 1920s - 30s to give old fashioned thin-rimmed steering wheels more grip. It was usually done using cotton braided cord or a hemp based cord of about 3mm diameter.

These are my 1932 MG front springs...

There's a bit of an art to doing springs and it results in some blisters from hell, but it was done by enthusiasts of the day to improve performance. I did mine because I think it looks more interesting than bare leaf-springs. I haven't yet 'laced' a steering wheel but the method will be slightly similar to doing the springs I'd imagine.

There are plenty of articles on YouTube about how to go about binding steering wheels. The beauty of using para-cord is that you can seal or lock the final knot with a lighter and/or a very hot knife, whereas with cotton braided cord it would be a self-tightening knot such as a reef knot and be sealed with Araldite.
(When I 'lace' vintage car springs using 3mm cottom braided cord, the final knot is a reef knot sealed with the aforementioned Araldite)

Also, if you don't fancy a cord-laced steering wheel I happened to find THIS article a couple of weeks ago on how to renovate a tired steering wheel, and it doesn't look too difficult to do...

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Oct 2018 11:11 by Max Headroom.

More
15 Oct 2018 23:13 #196805 by helijohn

Max Headroom wrote: Hello mresowik

As already mentioned here, cord wrapping a steering wheel is a possibility.
Most folk use modern 'para' cord these days, and do a fancy knot making it look like a piece of Macrame art. Theres a good illustration of the method HERE...

However cord-binding a steering wheel is nothing very new; I'm involved with vintage sports cars and this practice was commonly done in the 1920s - 30s to give old fashioned thin-rimmed steering wheels more grip. It was usually done using cotton braided cord or a hemp based cord of about 3mm diameter.

These are my 1932 MG front springs...

There's a bit of an art to doing springs and it results in some blisters from hell, but it was done by enthusiasts of the day to improve performance. I did mine because I think it looks more interesting than bare leaf-springs. I haven't yet 'laced' a steering wheel but the method will be slightly similar to doing the springs I'd imagine.

There are plenty of articles on YouTube about how to go about binding steering wheels. The beauty of using para-cord is that you can seal or lock the final knot with a lighter, whereas with cotton braided cord it would be a self-tightening knot such as a reef knot and be sealed with Araldite.
(When I 'lace' vintage car springs using 3mm cottom braided cord, the final knot is a reef knot sealed with the aforementioned Araldite)

Also, if you don't fancy a cord-laced steering wheel I happened to find THIS article a couple of weeks ago on how to renovate a tired steering wheel, and it doesn't look too difficult to do...

I like the feel of leather.

More
15 Oct 2018 23:20 #196807 by Max Headroom
:blink:

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

More
15 Oct 2018 23:28 #196808 by helijohn

Max Headroom wrote: :blink:

Must be a fetish.

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds