BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny missfire/rattle

• Andrestaieb93
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Sep 2018 15:51 #195844 by Andrestaieb93
Jimny missfire/rattle was created by Andrestaieb93
Hello There, I got a 2010 Jimny 2 years ago, the car has being doing great and really loving it! some months ago it started doing a strange sound that comes and goes, I dont really know if the correct term would be engine rattling or missfiring, it happens only when the engine is already hot, not when cold like in the morning. happens in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th, but mostly on 3rd and 4th, but whenever the car has some medium/high load it starts doing it, but again, not when cold. I am using a k&n filter and when I use the regular paper one it suffer a litle more, also, spark plugs and coils are pretty new as I once had a problem with coils. I have been told it could be the timing chain, trasmission was checked about 1 year about as some bearing died and had to replace the broken bits.
Something special is that I have discovered that the rattle goes away if I run the car really hard, going to 6000rpms for some seconds( must be in gear) maybe 15 seconds (rattles hard ) but then it gets almost unnoticable for about 1 week-2 weeks, the only thing that goes trough my head is maybe a valve?
I would really really appreciate some help on this as I don+t think its that common.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Sep 2018 19:06 #195852 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Jimny missfire/rattle
Car details would help i.e. engine, transmission fitted. But does sound a bit like a chain. How many miles on it and what is its service history?

• Andrestaieb93
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Sep 2018 19:11 #195855 by Andrestaieb93
Replied by Andrestaieb93 on topic Jimny missfire/rattle
M13a engine, stock transmission, got 174k on it. Service has been great, being doing all the oil/filters/ spark plugs, coils have been changed, got a snorkel on right now and k&n filter on, for 5 years was having maintenance at the agency, after that each 5k got maintenance. Diff breathers on to avoid any contamination.

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Sep 2018 19:33 #195859 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Jimny missfire/rattle
A lot of miles! Try using a stethoscope on the front case to see if you can pinpoint the rattle to a certain area. Obviously be careful of all the whirring bits! Something like a nice long thin piece of metal rod or screwdriver would do. You can use it at different points of the engine too. It would help if you could have a helper to hand to press the pedal to give the rev ranges to try and pin point the noise.

• Andrestaieb93
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Sep 2018 19:49 #195861 by Andrestaieb93
Replied by Andrestaieb93 on topic Jimny missfire/rattle
The thing is that unless its in gear it just wont make any strange noise, just rev up like any engine would do but no rattling sound at all, I have tried that but the sound is nowhere to be heard. usually sounds starts around 2500 rpm and up and uphill, almost never downhill, unless I accelerate really hard downhill.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
11 Sep 2018 03:22 #195871 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Jimny missfire/rattle
It's not an exhaust heat shield vibration is it?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds