BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

What comes standard and what should I fit after-market?

• StevenMark
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Aug 2018 10:04 #194973 by StevenMark
Thanks for that. But couldn't I get the Jimmy lifted to match their clearance?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 Aug 2018 10:34 #194974 by Lambert

StevenMark wrote: Thanks for that. But couldn't I get the Jimmy lifted to match their clearance?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Yes but a lift in and of itself will not generate more clearance other than improving the approach, departure and ramp angles. What it will do is give some more clearance for bigger tyres which is the only relatively affordable way of getting ground clearance under the diffs. It has some down sides though. There is a limit even on a very lifted Jimny on how big a tyre will fit before you are butchering the body. There is also a limit on the gearing without significant expense in fitting lobster boxes and lower diff sets. Then you run out of power with the 1.3 and have to swap in a 1.6 or as available a 1.8 or even a diesel. All of which essentially gets a Jimny to the starting point of a defender or cruiser. If you then carry out the same mods to one of those a Jimny no matter how much we may want it to will ever compete.

The trick is to make use of a Jimny to fit through obstacles too small or soft for the big tanks to deal with. I can get places in my road going Jimny that mates with lifted 80 series cruisers just can't simply because I have access to different lines through obstacles than they do and it really winds them up something shocking!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: StevenMark

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Aug 2018 10:35 #194975 by TomDK
It would be pretty pointless? You would need 33-35" tyres. So why not just get a bigger 4x4 then?

More
10 Aug 2018 20:40 #195002 by kirkynut
The benefit of a Jimny is you can really modify it to make it great off road for the starting price of a standard version of many of the aforementioned 4x4's. It will be more capable in the end.

Just don't worry about the fact you are pumping money into something that is not gaining the same in value!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 Aug 2018 20:57 #195006 by Lambert
You can't put a Jimny however modified against a land cruiser with similar modifications and expect it to compete head to head it's like comparing apples to coal shovels, both are very good in their own right but one can't do what the other can.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds