BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

New Jimny - manual or auto?

More
09 Jul 2018 09:24 - 09 Jul 2018 09:29 #194135 by Gadget
Going to order the new model once it's available, but undecided on which gearbox to go for. Have had a couple of (old 80s/90s tech boxes, no fancy DSG shennanigans) auto cars in the past and liked them fine, although my current and majority of previous cars have been manual. Car is going to be a daily driver (short communte, no lengthy motorway work), occasional light green laning and just general fun. I'm leaning towards the auto as the sheer amount of stop/start traffic these days drives me crazy.

Other than impact on performance/economy, anything else I need to be aware of?

Is the current Jimny auto box a torque convertor or CVT? Does the auto rev lower or higher at 60-70mph than the manual?

Ta :)
Last edit: 09 Jul 2018 09:29 by Gadget.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jul 2018 09:44 - 09 Jul 2018 09:55 #194136 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic New Jimny - manual or auto?
The auto transmission for the new Jimny is the TW-40E, just like the previous Jimny. The new engine has a max output torque of 130 N-m. The transmission has a max input torque of 114.5 N-m. I like autos too but personally would be nervous with that arrangement.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
Last edit: 09 Jul 2018 09:55 by zukebob.

More
09 Jul 2018 11:05 - 09 Jul 2018 11:05 #194139 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic New Jimny - manual or auto?
It seems odd that they would deliberately choose an under-spec box. Is it 100% the same, or could it be an updated model with the same ratios?
Last edit: 09 Jul 2018 11:05 by Gadget.

More
09 Jul 2018 11:20 #194140 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic New Jimny - manual or auto?
I was a little shocked and yet, I wasn't. Car companies don't like spending a lot on development and using the existing transmission would save money. It's all about profit.

It' possible they are using the same ratios in another transmission but they are identical so the chances are slim.

Like you, I think it's odd. Hopefully I'm wrong. I would be on a waiting list too. If I'm correct, I would personally choose the manual.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

More
10 Jul 2018 08:23 #194158 by kirkynut
I think if I had the option for what you are going to do with it I would want the auto. The Jimny is not a fast car so the manual would have no benefit I can see and like you I'm fed up with stop start traffic and a clutch.

Surely Suzuki have assessed the auto as suitable.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget

More
10 Jul 2018 15:42 #194168 by jimkyx
Before I bought my auto I test drove the manual. Although I always wanted a Jimmy if it was only in manual there is no way I would have bought it. The auto is silky smooth with lock up at about 40mph dropping the revs. In 10000 miles over 5 years the avg mpg is 31 but most of my runs are less than 5 miles except hols. My only grip is lack of power up hills and does not always drop out of lock up when overtaking a quickly as I would like. GO AUTO.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds