BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

electrics

• macclad
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jun 2018 12:28 #193765 by macclad
electrics was created by macclad
Can anyone help, with sidelights off my indicators work fine, but when i switch sidelights on they go bonkers turn signals and sidelights both flash when i indicate, could it be the switch stalk or something else? cant use it in the dark!!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2018 13:20 #193766 by Jezz
Replied by Jezz on topic electrics
That sounds like a bad earth on one of the light clusters.

It's been fettled just a tad.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
23 Jun 2018 13:20 #193767 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic electrics
Does it have tow bar electrics, they are prone to cause weird shorts?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• macclad
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jun 2018 14:39 #193770 by macclad
Replied by macclad on topic electrics
Thanks jezz, any idea which is the earth wire and where it might be earthed to?

• macclad
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jun 2018 14:41 #193771 by macclad
Replied by macclad on topic electrics
Thanks lambert, yes it does have a tow bar, guessing it has the electrics too.

More
23 Jun 2018 15:57 #193772 by Jezz
Replied by Jezz on topic electrics
As it has a tow bar, It will more than likely be one or both of the rear lights earth. Only way to find it is to remove the lights and look for a corroded or loose connection.

It's been fettled just a tad.

More
24 Jun 2018 09:40 - 24 Jun 2018 09:41 #193779 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic electrics
Most tow bars come with a standard wiring loom and the guy who mounts the tow bar hooks it in with his best knowledge. On my jimny i bought a ready made pre fab loom vehicle specific to my car. this one had an extra relay for the blinkers, probably to avoid overloading the original system. I have not seen anyone else do this when they hook up the standard loom with dodgy stickers.

Mine was installed by hooking into the existing connectors with the proper plugs and sockets by the rear lights and by using a proper ground point back there. It was not exactly for free at approx 100£, but well spent money knowing there are no bad connections and no hassle.
With a large trailer with a lot of lights there is risk of overloading the original blinker relay and of course the risk mentioned above here of bad connections and corrosion.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 24 Jun 2018 09:41 by yakuza.

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds