BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Things to to when R72 gearbox is dismounted

More
10 May 2018 13:27 - 10 May 2018 13:29 #192581 by Bosanek
It appears that I will have to change the clutch soon on the R72 gearbox.

Since the gearbox will be dismounted, I plan to extend the gearbox breathers and also to rust-proof the underbody which is usually concealed behind (above) the gearbox.

Is there anything else to do, like some preventive maintenance inside the gearbox to prevent the common bearing failure in the R72 gearbox? Anything else to do around the gearbox or on the engine from that side since it will be more accessible?

Also, which aftermarket clutch manufacturers and clutch models are recommended? Labor cost for a clutch change is not cheap, so I want to get a quality clutch set but not as expensive as Suzuki OEM! :) The vehicle will be regularly used in all-terrain conditions.

I found Blueprint ADK83024 clutch set relatively cheap (like 80 EUR or so). Is it a quality product?
Last edit: 10 May 2018 13:29 by Bosanek.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OlaGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 May 2018 15:16 #192583 by OlaGB
What year and milage on the gearbox?

I went for the exeedy sk2012. Well proven by alot of people in here, and i like it alot so far.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
10 May 2018 18:10 #192587 by Riccy
second that on the excedy clutch ;-)

The gearbox rear oil seal might be worth replacing.

There was some talk a while ago about the rubber parts of the gearstick mount/linkage as being an issue for poor shifting, but i think that was on the R7me gearbox. Check and see i guess!

The starter motor and connections worth checking also. The small wire on the solenoid is prone to corrosion/loose connection.

Whatever else you can get at while its out as well :-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
11 May 2018 05:26 - 11 May 2018 05:29 #192591 by yakuza
Oil change! much easier with the box out.
I refilled my box yesterday due to the box still leaking after i replaced it a couple of weeks ago.
I also sealed the end of the driveshaft as described a couple of places in here as it was still leaking in aft end after i replaced the aft seal.
www.bigjimny.com/forum/7-jimny-technical...ain-grrrr.html#71942
Not sure of the oil comes out of the driveshaft or the new seal though but had to do something.

Make sure your new seal is this one or better: www.bigjimny.com/store/gearbox-rear-oil-seal.html

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 11 May 2018 05:29 by yakuza.

• OlaGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 May 2018 06:57 #192593 by OlaGB

yakuza wrote: Oil change! much easier with the box out.
I refilled my box yesterday due to the box still leaking after i replaced it a couple of weeks ago.
I also sealed the end of the driveshaft as described a couple of places in here as it was still leaking in aft end after i replaced the aft seal.
www.bigjimny.com/forum/7-jimny-technical...ain-grrrr.html#71942
Not sure of the oil comes out of the driveshaft or the new seal though but had to do something.

Make sure your new seal is this one or better: www.bigjimny.com/store/gearbox-rear-oil-seal.html

I find it hard to install the gearbox with oil in it without getting soaked of the oil coming out of the back :)
I prefer filling it with a hand pump when it`s in.. That way i know its level also..

I would just do a full bearing change when it`s out, if it allready has 60-100k km on it. If less, and no noise at all, maybe i would let it be, but its like just 3-4 hours extra work if you have a press available.

More
11 May 2018 10:11 #192597 by yakuza
You can stuff the hole for the shaft with a rag but if you have a proper pump it may go nicely without spilling.
But now the last time when i refilled i made a complete mess of it...

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
24 May 2018 10:10 - 24 May 2018 10:11 #192901 by Bosanek
Thank you all very much for all the suggestions.

The gearbox has traveled around 55 000 miles and has never had an oil change. I did it now and the old oil still looked relatively clear, but there were some metal particles in on the plug magnet.

The cheapest Exedy SZK2012 clutch kit which I found was around 100 EUR, while I found an Aisin KS-035A clutch kit for 75 EUR.
So I bought the Aisin one. Shouldn't Aisin also be a high quality brand as they are 50% Toyota owned and they are exclusive clutch supplier to Toyota?

Is there a list of those bearings in the gearbox with some part numbers or bearing specifications? Possibly like a kit or something?
Last edit: 24 May 2018 10:11 by Bosanek.

• OlaGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 May 2018 15:31 #192910 by OlaGB
I bought a complete bearing kit on ebay for 120 (?) GBP..

More
30 May 2018 15:02 #193058 by ow3x3xpr3ss
The gearbox can be refilled very easily and clean trough the reverse light switch....is how i done on my Jimny, i couldn't get out the refilling plug !!

Cheers,
Ovidiu

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds