BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Engine tapping

• Dazv
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Apr 2018 17:20 #191822 by Dazv
Engine tapping was created by Dazv
Hi all
I'm hoping somebody can help with my issue, my 1998 Jim has a slight tapping noise coming from the valve cover gets worse up hills. I guessing i need to adjust the valve clearance is this a hard Job to to? I could be completely wrong and it could be a different issue. Any ideas guys?
Much appreciated
Darren

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2018 20:17 #191844 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Engine tapping
ignition pinging can occur like you say going uphill or when the engine is under load.
Not a common problem though, lot of miles on your car?

Valve clearance is more often all over the rpm's and even when idling. You can listen with a wooden stick on different placres on the valve cover. Place a two feet piece of broom handle or something like that on a place on the engine, and direct it towards your ear while you screen other sounds out by cover your ear except the broom with your hand...
The sound will now go up the stick and by listen to the end of it you can find where the sound originates.

Lousy explanation but i am from Norway. anyways i did this to my engine and found that the noise was a rattle and came from my exhaust manifold, the cat inside had broken and the pieces where rattling about in there. impossible to hear where the noise came from without a broom handle.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

• Dazv
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 May 2018 19:07 #192631 by Dazv
Replied by Dazv on topic Engine tapping
Thank you for your reply, sorry it's very late I had forgotten my password! Yeah she's got 104,000 I'll give that trick ago thanks!!!

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds