BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Bent rear door.

• 1066Boy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Apr 2018 18:19 #191585 by 1066Boy
Bent rear door. was created by 1066Boy
Ok hears a question for all you Jimny people. Recently I did a competition. Part of it included crossing a stream. As I dropped in, my spare wheel hit the bank and bent the door. :( I have bent the top back in by hand and its close enough. The bottom is bent outwards a little (enough to put the boot open light on) so the bottom left courner needs bending back in about 1-2". Ideas about the best why to achieve this? Thanks Allan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Apr 2018 19:01 #191591 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Bent rear door.

1066Boy wrote: Ok here's a question for all you Jimny people. Recently I did a competition. Part of it included crossing a stream. As I dropped in, my spare wheel hit the bank and bent the door. :( I have bent the top back in by hand and its close enough. The bottom is bent outwards a little (enough to put the boot open light on) so the bottom left corner needs bending back in about 1-2". Ideas about the best why to achieve this? Thanks Allan.

Depends on how cosmetically good you want the result to be but I'd use brute force. I'd possibly find a wall and with some 4x4 timber against the wall and a bit of lever work then reverse into the wall.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• 1066Boy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Apr 2018 19:04 #191592 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Bent rear door.
Did think about that but wanted to ask before doing it.

More
11 Apr 2018 19:13 #191594 by helijohn

1066Boy wrote: Did think about that but wanted to ask before doing it.

It's tricky cos it is easy to make it a whole lot worse but I have done it to doors and tailgates; never quite the same though afterwards.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 1066Boy

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
12 Apr 2018 04:09 #191604 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Bent rear door.
Bit more involved than just reversing into a wall. Get a suitable length of stout timber and brace the door open against the body allowing enough room for you to work in the gap. With a small ratchet strap gently pull the corner straight. Use a spreader on the end of the strap against the door to mitigate pinhead dents. Be gentle.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1066Boy

More
12 Apr 2018 14:00 #191622 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Bent rear door.
A 'new' door from a breaker?

More
12 Apr 2018 17:38 #191627 by helijohn

Lambert wrote: Bit more involved than just reversing into a wall.

Yeah it all depends on the angles and forces but the question was really would I do it yes - cos the alternative is a replacement door and if one is in the habit of dropping into awkward places I'd hate to repeat the same damage on a new door.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
12 Apr 2018 18:11 #191630 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Bent rear door.
New door and take the spare off for events perhaps? James Priestly is usually handy for spares, or FB groups if not.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• 1066Boy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Apr 2018 19:24 #191640 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Bent rear door.
Will try to straiten it 1st. Getting a matching rear door maybe a pain as the jim is cashmere pearl metallic :)

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds