BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

checking/filling gearbox oil

• doddy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Apr 2018 06:14 #191504 by doddy
checking/filling gearbox oil was created by doddy
good morning

this weekend I will be checking/filling my gearbox oil on an 07 jimny . I have not done this before , are there any tips ? thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2018 10:20 - 10 Apr 2018 10:32 #191512 by Max Headroom
My only experience with gearboxes is with ones associated with helicopters but the principles are the same!

Part of the process with draining and refilling helicopter gearboxes was to get the oil hot; we actually did what we called "a hot drain & flush".
This involved getting the gearbox oil up to operating temperature then draining it while it was hot.
(Removing the filler-cap before draining allowed the thinner (hot) oil to rush out quicker bringing with it as much debris as possible).
The g'box was then refilled and the process repeated.

Finally the g'box magnetic plug was inspected and/or cleaned or replaced and fitted with with a new seal/gasket, and the g'box refilled with new oil; job done.

A bit extreme I guess; we have cars not heli's, but if you haven't done the oil for a long time a flush might well be good a good idea particularly if you find particles on the plug.

Other tips...
Wear the right correct PPE - some eye protection and disposable gloves - oil can be very nasty stuff.
Know the quantity you're expecting to come out and have the correct sized container! Be aware of it being hot!
Have rags paper or other absorbent materials at hand if you have a drama and miss the container!
Fit the plug with a new seal BEFORE filling the g'box!
Make completely certain you refill the g'box with the correct quantity of the correct oil, ad fit the filler plug

Someone here mentioned that a Redline oil helps with g'box selection issues but I don't have details of which oil exactly.

Sorry if some of this includes the teaching of egg-sucking, but you did ask :laugh:

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 10 Apr 2018 10:32 by Max Headroom.

More
10 Apr 2018 11:35 #191514 by auchenblae
You need a 10mm square toll to remove the filler plug. It is a real pig to get to and the space between the plug and the transmission tunnel only allows a shart length tool to get in there.

I have a number of 10mm square tools and I will be doing a how to early next week and wll show the tools that will not get in there.

eddie

16 SZ3
07 JLX+ gone 16
99 JLX gone 07

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Apr 2018 13:51 #191519 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic checking/filling gearbox oil
Make sure you can undo the filler first before the drain plug, I normally hold a tube while my mechanic pours it in from standing beside the jim and let gravity do the work :)

Quantities and spec are in the wiki Forecourt section if you need then

• doddy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Apr 2018 14:05 #191523 by doddy
Replied by doddy on topic checking/filling gearbox oil
thanks for the replies ; with regards to putting in the new oil ; is there a knack ; or does the new oil container have a built in spout .

sorry for the daft questions but I have never replaced gearbox oil and because its to dangerous for me to do it out side my home I was going to drive to Halfords ; buy the oil and fill the level in their car park (with a blanket underneath for spills) so ideally I want to go fully armed

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Apr 2018 15:35 #191525 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic checking/filling gearbox oil
Wouldn't advise doing it at halfords,
If you're not able to do it at home I would recommend a garage do it then it is also there responsibility to recycle the old oil once they have finished.

More
10 Apr 2018 15:48 #191526 by auchenblae
Agreed I have a 2 post lift and a nice warm garage and it is a pig of a job to get the oil in there.

It's not a failure to accept that sometimes you have to use a local garage if you do not have the facilities.

eddie

16 SZ3
07 JLX+ gone 16
99 JLX gone 07

More
10 Apr 2018 16:11 #191527 by Scimike
Don't do it on a Halfords (or any) car park, it's one of the most dangerous places in the world.
People are happy to drive around it at excessive speed, bump into your car, or simply just drive over the poor Halfords employees who are in plain sight in high viz as they attend to a bulb.
Your legs sticking out from under the vehicle will be a fair unseen target.

I am one of the poor targets :(

Work colleague got his leg broken in one such incident.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
10 Apr 2018 16:30 #191528 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic checking/filling gearbox oil
I had some success refilling using the 1 litre plastic oil cans with the build in spout (The 4 inch long half inch diameter type spouts, not the short fat ones). I was able to get the whole oil can up beside the gearbox with the spout in the fill hole and squeeze about 700ml from the can into the gearbox. Doing this with 2 cans, then pouring the leftover 300ml from one can into the other and repeating the process, I was able to get the oil up to the correct level relatively easily.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
10 Apr 2018 16:43 #191529 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic checking/filling gearbox oil
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI wont say dont do it in a carpark, but only because everyone else has!

I will say to check you can undo the filler plug before trying to drain it, as thats critical.

The best tool I have found for filling it up is one of these:

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
10 Apr 2018 17:11 #191533 by Scimike
+1 VOTE for the above tool^^^
I have one which I use on my Landy, not seen action on Jimny yet, but should work just as good.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
10 Apr 2018 18:03 #191536 by auchenblae
You two must have the fabled ones that do not leak via going past the piston and out the hole the pushrod comes out.

I have binned a few 500ml ones and two of these due to looseing loads of oil via the pushrod.. These ones are circa £35 and they have double seals on the pistons that leak.

www.ebay.co.uk/i/222410526780?chn=ps&dis...id=1058853793&crdt=0

eddie

16 SZ3
07 JLX+ gone 16
99 JLX gone 07

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds