BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

POWER!

More
03 Apr 2018 19:02 #191247 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic POWER!
Contrary to most people in here I think there is almost no such thing as a "too wide tyre". It depends on how you drive it offroad and how prepared you are to be changing wheel bearings and king pin bearings.. bigge tyres do put more load on the suspension.
I had 325-60-15 on a SJ with 63 hp.. Floating over most obstacles. I had to change the gears of course.

On my Jimny i currently have 11% too big tyres (235-75-15) and still the original gears.. When i had the 1.3 engine i had to use one gear lower everywhere compared to original size tyres and often that did not quite cut it either. Changing to a 1.6 engine helps but still it is far from a racer.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mdog18
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Apr 2018 19:07 #191250 by mdog18
Replied by mdog18 on topic POWER!
I agree Yakuza, but, for DanRigg94's specific situation, the most likely reason for such low power output is that the tires are too wide for his current set up.

More
03 Apr 2018 21:36 #191265 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic POWER!
I've put some proper Carlos fandango's on tarmac cars and tyre width does have a considerable impact on drag.

My mini was 7mph faster (measured on a circuit) on standard road wheels (145) than it was on it's alloys (175). The rolling diameter of the two wheel and tyre combinations was near identical and the steel wheels (fastest) were heavier. The only explanation was increased rolling resistance and additional aerodynamic drag.

You don't notice so much in a jimny, they are just not quick enough to really see it.

Put mountain bike tyres on a road bike, you'll soon see it, in an extreme.

sniper

More
03 Apr 2018 22:11 #191267 by j999pre
Replied by j999pre on topic POWER!
Fit vvt diffs 10% lower.

Tyre height formula I use.

Width / 50. X. Profile / 25.4 then add wheel size or 15" give height in inches

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

More
03 Apr 2018 22:39 #191270 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic POWER!
One thing to remember when changing tyre size is the effect on the speedo is the same as the effect on the gearing. If your tyres have a 10% bigger circumference, you gears are effectively 10% longer and your speedo reads 10% slower. So a reading of 45mph is equivalent to 50mph on the standard tyres. This error is compounded when it comes to calculating fuel economy- You've unwittingly being trying to drive 10% faster than usual, with the engine under greater load, and your odometer has clocked up 10% fewer miles. I think this is the main reason people complain of poor mpg when changing to bigger tyres.

Another thought that I often have when people talk about the speeds their Jimny will comfortably do- what gear are you in when you are 'fighting to keep it above 45mph'? Like most petrol engines, the Jimny 1.3 makes peak power around 6,000rpm. If you are lugging up hills at 45mph in 5th the engine is making barely 50hp. Drop down a gear or 2 and you can use the engine to its full potential. I do lots of towing and often use 3rd gear up to 60mph on slip roads so I can match my speed to traffic. 5th gear is very much a cruising gear.

More
03 Apr 2018 22:50 #191271 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic POWER!

Busta wrote: One thing to remember when changing tyre size is the effect on the speedo is the same as the effect on the gearing. If your tyres have a 10% bigger circumference, you gears are effectively 10% longer and your speedo reads 10% slower.

Except for one point, nearly all speedometers I have encountered on standard tyres read around 10% heavy (by that I mean it says 30 when the road speed is 27ish) and going up a size or two will nearly always put the speedo closer to bang on. I always do a check before going big to see what the discrepancy is. Manufacturers have to ensure the speedo does not under read so to speak and so IMHO play safe. It is part of the reason so many travel at around 25 in a 30 limit because not only are they trying to keep below the limit (as they perceive it on their dial) they are running about 3mph shy to start with.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
04 Apr 2018 07:20 #191278 by Busta
That is of course true (although rarely by a linear 10% at all speeds), but my point still stands. If your reference, however inaccurate, has moved by 10% then your expectations are also off. The system for measuring speed and distance has changed by a significant amount.

More
04 Apr 2018 07:37 #191279 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic POWER!
Running BFG AT's at 215/75x15 is only 40mm larger in circumference than standard and whilst it is noticeable, it does seem to have lined the speedo up with road side speed warnings.

sniper

More
04 Apr 2018 08:01 #191280 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic POWER!

sniper wrote: Running BFG AT's at 215/75x15 is only 40mm larger in circumference than standard and whilst it is noticeable, it does seem to have lined the speedo up with road side speed warnings.

sniper

Yes same here - same tyre size and same result.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
04 Apr 2018 12:47 #191284 by Busta
I'm running 215/75s and my speedo now matches GPS (true) speed and speed warning signs. From memory they are 5-6% bigger than standard, and my average miles per tank went from 210 to 200 (5% drop), so it all correlates quite nicely. My fuel economy has not suffered from running bigger tyres.

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Apr 2018 16:53 #191290 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic POWER!
I have the same results with 215/75/15. Speedo now spot on according to my GPS. My mpg is down slightly around town but a little better on long runs. :)

• Mraz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Apr 2018 04:13 - 05 Apr 2018 08:00 #191304 by Mraz
Replied by Mraz on topic POWER!
When I change from alloy rims and road tires to steel rims and MT there's a difference, most noticabely in braking performance (same dimensions, only heavier). I can only guess how it handles with bigger tires and stock engine/gearbox
Last edit: 05 Apr 2018 08:00 by Mraz.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds