BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

POWER!

• DanRigg94
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Apr 2018 14:38 #191230 by DanRigg94
POWER! was created by DanRigg94
Hi, recently bought a cheap little Jimny. 1.3 Petrol 2001 88k
Ive not touched the engine apart from new plugs and ive got 2" suspension spacers on and bigger tyres (265/70/15) but im seriously struggling for top end power.
During off road and bottom end is fine but slight incline in the road and im fighting to keep it above 45mph! Motorway is an absoloute no go area for the little Jimny.
Never owned a Jimny but im just curious as to is it a common occurance or is it something i can fix?
Thanks.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Apr 2018 14:46 #191231 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic POWER!
Have you checked the air filter?

• DanRigg94
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Apr 2018 14:48 #191232 by DanRigg94
Replied by DanRigg94 on topic POWER!
I have. even took the air filter out for a quick test and its the same.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Apr 2018 15:06 #191233 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic POWER!
Just noticed the tyre size.

If you're still on standard transferbox and ratio that's probably the cause of it.

Pretty massive tyres, which I'm guessing are remoulds.

• DanRigg94
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Apr 2018 15:18 #191234 by DanRigg94
still standard as far as i know, not too sure if the tyres are remoulded but i bought them a couple of weeks ago for £60 so couldnt refuse them. Any reccomendations on a different box or what i could do to mine?

• Mraz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Apr 2018 15:39 #191235 by Mraz
Replied by Mraz on topic POWER!
Those tires are just tooooooo wide for Jim.

• DanRigg94
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Apr 2018 16:05 #191236 by DanRigg94
had standard little road tyres on with no tread when i got it. got offered the tyres off a friend who had no use for them anymore. so they are just a temporary fix until i sort some decent ones out. What tyres would be best reccomended for the 15s?

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Apr 2018 16:20 #191238 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic POWER!
Have a read they are very large without changing the gearing

www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php?tit...age_-_best_practices

More
03 Apr 2018 16:55 #191239 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic POWER!
The rolling circumference of a standard Jimny tyre 205/70 x 15 is 2040mm, your running 265/70 x 15 at 2297mm per rotation.

Every time the wheel turns, you travel 257mm further than a standard car, a difference of over 10%.

So your gearing needs to be reduced by 10% to get back to normal performance, but.... that won't be a "normal" load on the engine and performance will still suffer.

You need to make a compromise to best suit your needs, big tyres look cool but cost in many ways, loss of performance due to gearing, a huge increase in unsprung mass ( the weight of the axle and tyres) and a massive change in friction.

If you've got a road car that you play with at weekends, keep two sets of tyres and change them when you play.

I run 215/70 x 15 which is only 57mm bigger than standard, it still gives a noticeable difference in gearing and I use third gear much more than I did.

sniper

More
03 Apr 2018 18:46 #191243 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic POWER!

DanRigg94 wrote: still standard as far as i know, not too sure if the tyres are remoulded but i bought them a couple of weeks ago for £60 so couldnt refuse them. Any reccomendations on a different box or what i could do to mine?

Can you tell us the size please because I wouldn't necessarily blame them - Jimny can be a little underpowered compared to mainstream motors.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• mdog18
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Apr 2018 18:49 #191244 by mdog18
Replied by mdog18 on topic POWER!
I'm in full agreement with sniper. 265 tires will definitely have a negative effect on engine performance! I'm running BFG KO2 AT 215/75/15's on my Jimny which, in my opinion, don't compromise too much on engine performance while still giving the car more girth and beefiness for that rugged off road look!

More
03 Apr 2018 18:50 #191245 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic POWER!
Just had a look at the link Daniel provided and some of my numbers disagree, they are taken from errolstyres.co.nz, a source I've used for years and I am confident in their info. having modelled gearing on it in the past, successfully.

Please confirm numbers yourself.

sniper

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds