BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Etiquette of the wave

More
14 Mar 2018 09:28 - 14 Mar 2018 09:38 #190392 by Scimike
When not in my Jimny my other drive is a Series 2 Land Rover. Now unwritten Landy etiquette states that as we pass another Series, 90 or Defender we wave at each other in mutual admiration. It also provides a mental marker of potential near by assistance, as its likely one of us will break down shortly after passing. :laugh:
We dont wave at "posh" Land Rovers or Chelsea tractors, they need to have a "farm fresh" look about them to join the wave club.
So whats the etiquette with the Jimny?
You dont see that many in my neck of the woods, and the one I passed failed to acknowledge the waving idiot in the other Jimny (me):whistle:
Just wondering what you would do. Me - I'll keep being a waving idiot unless I have the Etiquette wrong.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 14 Mar 2018 09:38 by Scimike.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2018 09:44 #190393 by furo
Replied by furo on topic Etiquette of the wave
I wave at pretty much everyone I see driving a Jimny, and usually they are little old ladies who return a very blank look. But I always get a wave back if the other Jimny is also modified.

2004 Jimny Mode: General Grabber AT3s (215/75/R15); Trailmaster 2" Lift; Jimnybits Snorkel; Jimnybits Front and Rear Recovery Points; Suntop Roof Rack; AVM Manual Hubs; Stainless Steel Exhaust System (SOLD)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
14 Mar 2018 10:58 #190395 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Etiquette of the wave
I usually give an index finger off the wheel as recognition of another Jimny. Farmer style!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• shanefd2
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Mar 2018 11:29 #190396 by shanefd2
Replied by shanefd2 on topic Re:Etiquette of the wave
This comes to mind..

More
14 Mar 2018 11:31 #190397 by furo
Replied by furo on topic Etiquette of the wave
Yup when I say wave it's usually 2 fingers off the wheel, occasionally a thumbs up lol

2004 Jimny Mode: General Grabber AT3s (215/75/R15); Trailmaster 2" Lift; Jimnybits Snorkel; Jimnybits Front and Rear Recovery Points; Suntop Roof Rack; AVM Manual Hubs; Stainless Steel Exhaust System (SOLD)

• Mraz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Mar 2018 11:39 #190399 by Mraz
Replied by Mraz on topic Etiquette of the wave
I just nod my head... death wobble means both hands on steering wheel :D

More
14 Mar 2018 11:57 #190400 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Etiquette of the wave
I give a proper wave as I always did driving my SJ413 when meeting other SJ413. The other SJ's all waved back.
Even the old ladies smiled and waved back.
Jimnys get the greeting as well, but I still haven't gotten a reply other than the blank look. (Except for my ex-neighbour)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
14 Mar 2018 21:11 #190414 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Etiquette of the wave
Used to do the same in the SJ especially in its later years but the other day I had to smile cos a Jimny driver waved to me while I was in the Junior...............well they do look rather similar.:dry: :whistle:

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• Young Pretender
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Mar 2018 21:17 #190416 by Young Pretender
Replied by Young Pretender on topic Etiquette of the wave
I lol’d at the blank looks from old lady comment, very true :laugh:

If modified though I give a big thumbs up and full on double light flash (or occasionally squirt my windscreen wash by mistake lol)

More
14 Mar 2018 21:24 #190418 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Etiquette of the wave

Young Pretender wrote: squirt my windscreen wash by mistake lol)

I wish all cars had the indicator stalk on the right. Left hand is busy enough with gearstick..............but wait, I drive autos so it ain't such a problem until I switch cars.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
14 Mar 2018 23:27 #190424 by 1390_taz
Replied by 1390_taz on topic Etiquette of the wave
Always wave and flash my lights. Most of the time there old folk, there is a couple who drive a vitra they wave and smile on passing

More
23 Mar 2018 06:51 #190774 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Etiquette of the wave
Well! I am very impressed that this is not just a Motorcyclist, MG, or SAAB convertible thing!

I had someone in a Jimny around Tewkesbury wave at me the other week - I was slightly gobsmacked being a total noob on the Jimny scene, but I did wave back!
I'm pleased as punch that some Jimny owners are doing this and will promote it enthusiastically :)

A word of caution however - some years ago I was driving through a built-up somewhere-or-other in my MG Midget.
Another MG coming in the opposite direction flashed its lights and waved enthusiastically. I reciprocated with the usual flash of lights back and a cool thumbs up, but was horrified to have someone pull out of a side turning thinking that my flash of lights was a message for them to go ahead and pull out, and I almost T-boned their car even though I had the right of way.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds